Would you borrow you bag to someone you know ?

I'd give my jacket off my back if they were cold, friend or not. But accessories I don't see as something that they would need to borrow, so I would rather not. So basically my rule is if they NEED it, they can use it, but if its something trivial in that state of mind like a bag but had special value for me I'd say no. I don't like to get used wallets, and when it comes to bags, something that basically carries my life in it, I rather it be worn exclusively by me.

My best friends - yes. Maybe it's guilt because I suddenly make more than my friends - I'm the only one who has more than one designer bag and I remember what is was like to want to carry a beautiful bag. I'd let them borrow any of my bags from Fiore to my Birkin in a heartbeat. If it makes them happy, why not? There's a small chance they'll spill something on it and if they do - they're GOOD friends, so I know they'll figure out a way to pay for it.

That said, I only count two friends as "best friends."

And I would NEVER let my mother borrow my bags. I love her, but she's never carried a bag worth over $35, doesn't "get" my bag obssession so I lie and tell her things were much cheaper than they are. :angel:

Since she thinks all my bags were $50-$100, she'd treat them like she treats her bags - like, well, paper bags. If she really wanted to borrow one of my bags, I'd buy her one of her own.

Only Mom, and only ones that are "industructable" like my Speedy which has treated handles. It's the only bag I treated because I know how black speedy handles get in time and I didn't want that.

I let her borrow a white Coach purse once and it came back to me with dirt on the bottom of the bag. I knew she had to have put it on a floor or dirty counter or something. Now I know not to give her something that delicate.

I wouldn't. But most of my friends wouldn't know a designer bag if it smacked them in the face, so I doubt anyone would ask. They sometimes compliment me on a handbag, but I don't think any of them have any clue what they are worth (and I don't even have the really expensive luxury bags, but they are pricey to ME).

As for the people who mentioned they would never lend a bag to someone with small children... I totally agree, and I HAVE small children! Accidents and unexpected things happen. If one of my children falls down on a playground and gets hurt, I never hesitate to scoop him up, regardless of whether my bag might slip off my shoulder and touch the dirt. Parents just don't consider objects when their kids need help, nor can they always predict when a sticky finger might get too close for comfort to a precious item. It is best for both the lender and the borrower to consider the risks when agreeing to something like lending a bag.

Dear god, no!! I can't even imagine what I'd do if a friend messed up one of my bags, it's not worth the risk. I don't normally lend my things to people or ask to borrow anything anyway.