would love your input :)

R0lyaT390

O.G.
Oct 4, 2008
Hey guys!

So... I'm having a gold and scattered diamond cuff made. I put together some old gold/diamond jewelry that doesn't get worn anymore and am looking to take them apart and use both the gold and diamonds toward the new bracelet. I guess my question is whether or not all of my gold each (white, rose, and yellow gold pieces) can be used in making the cuff? They also have different purities. (nothing below 14k)

Oh, and on a side note, do you mind diamonds of mixed clarity in a single piece?

Thanks!! :biggrin:

Jesskaz

Jan 3, 2009
Are you thinking of having a piece made by reworking/incorporating your exisiting pieces or do you mean you want them melted down?

I think if you are wanting to melt them down, you will have to find an artisan who does their own casting and knows what they are doing. They will need to add new gold to whatever they end up using of your stuff anyway to bring the alloy up. If you just go to a regular jewelry store that doesn't make their own stuff, they will just sell it for scrap.

Depending on the existing stones in what you have, they may or may not be worth reusing. If they are worth reusing, they need to be removed with care or they can be damaged.

It's probably worth doing some research into local artisans/goldsmiths in your area.

I think mixed clarity stones in the same piece can be fine if they are a good visual match. Most average pieces include a range of quality.

Last edited:

R0lyaT390

O.G.
Oct 4, 2008
Thanks for the advice Jesskaz!! The jeweler does all hand-made fine jewelry so I am sure she will be melting it down... The diamonds I have are all eye clean and look to be of about the same color, I'm just worried about having them taken out now because most are smaller stones and I don't want them to get damaged.

I am hoping she will be very careful :sweatdrop:

bgdiamond

Apr 5, 2009
Hey,

So yes you can mix different colors and purity, however the result may look a little weird.

Mixing diamonds of separate color/clarity is HIGHLY unadvised. I would scrap the stones and buy new ones if I were you. the color and clarity of melee can really make or break a piece. As a diamond guy, I've seen some beautiful pieces that have melee that doesnt match and it kills the luster of the whole piece. Its like having a ferrari with a spray-can paint job.

Swanky

Admin
Admin
O.G.
Jan 12, 2006
I have to slightly disagree. . . I mean, obviously you wouldn't want to pair E color w/ I color and VVS1 w/ SI2 stones. But there's no visible difference to our eyes if you mixed G & H colored stone w/ VS2 and SI1 stones as long as they all had excellent/ideal cuts.
If you're wanting an estate/vintage vibe it's better anyway IMO to preserve that authenticity.