Would love to hear your opinions!

What would you do knowing you can only get one?

• Wait for the mini in desired combination

Votes: 20 52.6%
  • Get the classic flap now

Votes: 15 39.5%
  • Hold off on both

Votes: 3 7.9%

• Total voters

Destiny757

Apr 17, 2020
Hello!

I’m wondering what you all would do if in a similar situation. So I have my heart set on a mini rectangular flap in black with ghw or lghw. I am also open to other colors as long as it still has ghw or lghw but my heart is definitely set on black. Unfortunately, I wanted to inspect the bag in person before buying through my SA and when I finally made it to the boutique last weekend I found out they were all sold out in the U.S. So bummed!

Now I also have my heart set on a medium classic flap but more so for a few years down the road. I have an active 2 year old and prefer mini bags for when she has her backpack or totes for when I have to carry her stuff. I get that these just continue to go up in price but since it is such classic bag, I am okay with waiting since I don’t feel I will get much use out of it within the next few years especially since we would like to have more kids in the near future.

If I hold out for the mini, it may not come in my desired combination until after this fall’s (whenever that may be) increase happens. I don’t have a ton to be spending on Chanel right now as I prefer to plan and budget for big purchases and have a few other items on my wishlist right now. I only budgeted enough for one Chanel bag right now so regardless of which I choose the other will have to wait for a while. Also, important to note I do not want to purchase pre-owned. I know it could be cheaper but I haven’t been able to convince myself to spend thousands on a pre-loved bag but things could always change.

If you had to choose, would you hold out for the mini in your desired combination and hold off on purchasing the medium classic flap for a few years knowing there may be multiple increases? Or, would you get the classic flap now even if you won’t use it often and wait for the mini? Again, knowing you may not get your desired combination until after another price increase or two? Regardless, I would love both a mini and a classic flap in my collection. Also would love a reissue mini down the road.

Apparently it is sold out everywhere in the U.S according to my SA and CS. I tried the Neiman Marcus Chanel near me and the only other option would be Saks but since it’s sold out that probably wouldn’t do me any good. I did ask him to keep an eye out for me if one does come in.

Wait for what you really want otherwise you’ll buy twice which none of us can afford with Chanel prices.

Very true! I definitely want both but feel I will get more use out of the mini right now. I thought about the small classic flap but why spend $2,000 more when it fits almost the same amount as the mini.

Did you consider getting the reissue mini now?
It should suit your current needs (a good alternative to the classic mini till you find the one).

Personally, if I’m 100% sure I want the classic I’d get it while it’s available to avoid any further price increases. In other words, I’d get whatever I find as soon as I find it but only if it has been on my list long enough to be sure I really love/need it. But in the same time, would never settle (for a color/leather/hardware) other than what I really want.

Reactions: chanelliel
Very true! I definitely want both but feel I will get more use out of the mini right now. I thought about the small classic flap but why spend $2,000 more when it fits almost the same amount as the mini.
Ok so the medium was my first Chanel many years ago. I was lucky enough to get her for £1K. I know that sounds insane. I used her lot initially as I only had one flap then but now I find the medium the worst size for me. My preferences are minis or jumbos. Yes I’m all or nothing. The double flap irritates me on the medium and as you rightly point out capacity wise you’re so much better going for the mini.

Hi l would say go for mini but probably is you would only get lambskin which it’s not great as daily bag and as a bag on the go with kids ,it’s more off a occasion bag ,caviar much more durable leather,personally if you can get only one bag go for classic medium in caviar leather it will always appreciate value and can always sell on for more or at least get what you paid

Hi l would say go for mini but probably is you would only get lambskin which it’s not great as daily bag and as a bag on the go with kids ,it’s more off a occasion bag ,caviar much more durable leather,personally if you can get only one bag go for classic medium in caviar leather it will always appreciate value and can always sell on for more or at least get what you paid

7FCD34B9-4FD8-4784-9336-38D8D6C98BE6.jpeg

Did you consider getting the reissue mini now?
It should suit your current needs (a good alternative to the classic mini till you find the one).

Personally, if I’m 100% sure I want the classic I’d get it while it’s available to avoid any further price increases. In other words, I’d get whatever I find as soon as I find it but only if it has been on my list long enough to be sure I really love/need it. But in the same time, would never settle (for a color/leather/hardware) other than what I really want.

I did consider the reissue now but would prefer it in a color similar to the gray with ghw (no idea what season but looked like the 20c grey) or beige (19A) and since I only budgeted for one bag now I would have to hold off on the classic mini which really is top of the list for now.

For the classic, it has definitely been on my list for a long time. Main thing holding me back from getting it now is knowing I probably won’t reach for it much at all right now so it would just be a ton money sitting in my closet. The only reason I would really get it now is to avoid the next price increase but again it would really just sit there and not get much use. I’m so torn and DH just keeps saying get what you want not realizing I want them all but am a stickler for budget! Especially for such expensive items.

Perfect world I would get my classic mini now, reissue mini in a year or two, and classic flap within the next 5 years if I can afford it with the increases.

Reactions: XCCX
Ok so the medium was my first Chanel many years ago. I was lucky enough to get her for £1K. I know that sounds insane. I used her lot initially as I only had one flap then but now I find the medium the worst size for me. My preferences are minis or jumbos. Yes I’m all or nothing. The double flap irritates me on the medium and as you rightly point out capacity wise you’re so much better going for the mini.

Wow that is amazing!! Before COVID we were actually talking about going to Europe to get the classic flap but with everything going on and the recent price increase in Europe that doesn’t even really make sense anymore. I did think about the jumbo because it can fit a ton but I hate heavy bags and fear it will be too heavy. With me the larger the bag the more stuff I rationalize putting in it whether I need it or not.

You bring up such a good point and love your cuties! I definitely want a lambskin Chanel and have read in quite a few places that it is more durable in smaller sizes. That’s why I figured I would get the mini in lambskin and the classic flap in caviar but I did want the mini to be more than a special occasion bag so that’s something else I really need to think about. I do have the WOC in black caviar which I love but wanted something slightly bigger for days I wanted to carry a little bit more.

I did think about resale value but I look at these as forever bags and hope to one day pass these bags on to my daughter and would only sell if she or my nieces decided Chanel was not for them. Although I did figure I could at least get my money back or lose only a small amount if I ever did need/want to sell them. That’s really the only silver lining to these price increases.

How old ist your child? I wanted the
Mini and bought it first cause with little toddlers the medium doesn’t fit my lifestyle. But few month later I bought the classic m/l too cause I want it so bad. Love both but with kids I use the mini more. The medium I use when I am alone or with hubby or just with one child.
i think if you buy the one the other one comes sooner as you are thinking. Never thought I got more Chanel’s after my mini.

Reactions: fdc