Would like to adopt, but...

Glamfoxx

O.G.
Jun 6, 2007
My husband, daughter and I live in a rental house with no pets (except fishies). We will be here until we are ready to purchase a home. I grew up having dogs and would like to adopt a shelter dog to bring that love and activity back into my life. In order for this to happen, we need to discuss with our landlord possibly allowing us to have a dog of medium size in the house. We are great tennants, have lived here for 3 years, on time with rent, take great care of the house, etc. How is the best way to bring this up with our landlord? Also please send good vibes our way so that we may be fortunate enough to add a dog to our family.

Ask the next time you make your rent payment, if your landlord says no then leave it at that. Until then you can sponsor a dog at a shelter, or volunteer.

You might write the landlord and ask, state what size, that the dog will be an adult and already housetrained, etc. If you are willing to give a deposit for adding the dog state that as well. Good luck.

^^^ I completely agree with Irishgal. If he is hesitant about letting you bring in a dog, offering the deposit may tip him in your favour.

Great ideas--what I'd have said lol. Sending good vibes to you and your family. sponsoring a dog at a local shelter is a wonderful idea. We went 1.5 years without a dog because of moving and renting and building. During that time we sent donations to two Boxer rescue groups in NC. They were so grateful! One of them even named a dog after us!

Good luck!!!!!!!!!!!

Also, That you would be willing to sign something stating, If the new doggie does ANY damage, you will be willing to pay for the repair's, I believe that is what a lot of landlords get concerned about,, and that's why they say no pets.. Good Luck!!!!!!

Good luck! This is different but I was looking for a place this summer where we could take our two dogs along with us on a family vacation. I spoke to the owner who I had met last summer and he said that as long we leave the place the same way it was when we came, he's fine with it.