Would appreciate your thoughts on a purchase not as described

Apr 15, 2009
I recently bid and won a scarf that was described as having a small tear in the centre, a few centimetres in length. It arrived yesterday, has THREE tears in it, and stains all over. The fabric is so fragile it cannot be cleaned :sad: I'd planned on cutting it up to use to make a couple of small throw pillows for our couch. Well, that's impossible.

I haven't contacted the seller yet. I paid around $40 USD for the scarf, $15 USD for shipping, and if I send it back it will cost me another $15 USD to send it back (that is NOT a signed-for delivery, just regular delivery). I'm quite torn (no pun intended). Should I just tell the seller she sold me crap that should have been put in the trash, and leave it at that? Should I attempt to get a refund?

One fear I have is that she'll sell the sucker again, y'know? And the other is if I open a SNAD with Paypal, I'll have to get a signature when I return it, which will cost me $50 ish thru Canada Post.

Or should I just try to sell it and disclose that basically it is garbage?

Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!

oh my, i'm so sorry to hear this. Did you use your credit card or you bank account to pay thru paypal? If you paid by credit card, then your last resort is to do a chargeback if the seller becomes nasty. But first do contact the seller about it. Don't get emotional in your email, just give her the facts and be firm about it. Tell her to give you a refund first plus your shipping costs before you will send it back. Be sure to leave a negative feedback. I can't stand dishonest sellers!

If the item is not as described, the seller should give you a full refund, including shipping both ways. Email the seller and give her a chance to respond. Was she not aware of the condition of the scarf?

ITA, contact the seller and have a friendly chat.

IF you do end up filing a SNAD dispute, try Ebay Resolution Center first, and address the return shipping cost in your dispute. Ebay RC has been a bit less complex as of late, and sometimes they will have a seller pay return shipping.
Return shipping will require delivery confirmation.

I would certainly do a friendly contact first, then escalate it if nothing happens. PayPal as well as E-bay will tend to be more in your favor if you at least "Try" to be decent and find a soloution before filing a not as described. Make sure you use e-bay for all communication, so they can see a visible attempt to reconciliate.

-PaPu

Re: return shipping.... I mis-typed..... DELIVERY CONFIRMATION will cost around $50 ish. Canada Post sucks for shipping, generally.

Thanks for the responses, I've written the seller and will see what happens. Will report back. If I were her, I'd refund the money I'd spent and have me donate the scarf to a charity, as opposed to mailing it back to her.

Took the seller about 5 minutes (literally) to respond saying more or less "tough cookies", that I knew about the condition when I bid. So I've opened a case with ebay. The worst that happens is I'm out the costs and I'll have to leave honest feedback. Sigh....

Thank goodness it wasn't an expensive item. But then, whatever one pays for JUNK is too much and a waste of money, IMHO.

oh no, i had enough of these sellers, its not only a pain in the butt but it makes things harder for the honest sellers if you kwim? ebay should back you up. let us know how it goes

Took the seller about 5 minutes (literally) to respond saying more or less "tough cookies", that I knew about the condition when I bid. So I've opened a case with ebay. The worst that happens is I'm out the costs and I'll have to leave honest feedback. Sigh....

Thank goodness it wasn't an expensive item. But then, whatever one pays for JUNK is too much and a waste of money, IMHO.

Yikes, nice seller!

Be sure to STRESS to ebay the huge cost you will incur on return shipping.

From what you have posted this certainly sounds like a "significantly not as described" issue despite the seller's latest email. I really hope you paid with a credit card so you can do a chargeback for the full amount......I always ask AMEX for the full amount charged (that includes shipping which is significant in your case) when I've been stuck with a similar situation. Anyway, I would suggest talking to a Paypal rep about how to proceed to get fully reimbursed.