Would appreciate your input on the Aquilone

twin-fun

O.G.
Mar 27, 2006
Let me preface this by apologizing up front if I'm not familiar with all the BV terminology. I have just recently ventured out into this territory from Tod's and LV after I was given a tote bag that belonged to my grandmother. The bag is probably 15 years old but the leather is still so beautiful!
I would like to know how you ladies feel about the Aquilone like this one on Barney's web site: http://www.barneys.com/Bottega-Veneta-Kurung-Aquilone-Bag/00505012295913,default,pd.html?

Are they comfortable and can they be carried over the shoulder? What about durability and weight? Since they are lined in some type of leather does that add quite a bit of weight to the bag? I have also been looking at the Cervo and Veneta hobos but am not sure if I like the completely unstructured look. Not that the Aquilone is structured but it seems to have a bit more "heft" to it.

I can't get to a boutique as easily as I would like so your opinions are greatly appreciated!

Several years ago, I took this beautifully designed bag out on consignment from a shop in Italy and tried it for only a day. The leather was quite soft and lightweight , so it is very comfortable to carry and easy to get into/out of. It is unstructured and large so it can hold a lot. For my needs at the time, however, it was a bit too big so I opted instead for a large Veneta. This bag still catches my eye whenever I see one, however.....

Several years ago, I took this beautifully designed bag out on consignment from a shop in Italy and tried it for only a day. The leather was quite soft and lightweight , so it is very comfortable to carry and easy to get into/out of. It is unstructured and large so it can hold a lot. For my needs at the time, however, it was a bit too big so I opted instead for a large Veneta. This bag still catches my eye whenever I see one, however.....

I have never seen it in real life and love the look of the bag but also opted out on it as it is way too big for my frame and needs.

Thank you so very much for your input!

The Aquilone is very soft and beautiful, IMO. I do find that if the bag is full and you're wearing a winter coat the shoulder strap can be a bit snug. But if you don't have anything tall and stiff (like papers or a magazine) inside it's not a problem. Also I see you're in Texas so maybe you don't wear winter coats? It also looks great in the crook of the arm.

The Aquilone is very soft and beautiful, IMO. I do find that if the bag is full and you're wearing a winter coat the shoulder strap can be a bit snug. But if you don't have anything tall and stiff (like papers or a magazine) inside it's not a problem. Also I see you're in Texas so maybe you don't wear winter coats? It also looks great in the crook of the arm.

Thank you so much! Yes, I don't own a heavy winter coat so this would work.

Let me preface this by apologizing up front if I'm not familiar with all the BV terminology. I have just recently ventured out into this territory from Tod's and LV after I was given a tote bag that belonged to my grandmother. The bag is probably 15 years old but the leather is still so beautiful!
I would like to know how you ladies feel about the Aquilone like this one on Barney's web site: http://www.barneys.com/Bottega-Veneta-Kurung-Aquilone-Bag/00505012295913,default,pd.html?

Are they comfortable and can they be carried over the shoulder? What about durability and weight? Since they are lined in some type of leather does that add quite a bit of weight to the bag? I have also been looking at the Cervo and Veneta hobos but am not sure if I like the completely unstructured look. Not that the Aquilone is structured but it seems to have a bit more "heft" to it.

I can't get to a boutique as easily as I would like so your opinions are greatly appreciated!
I tried on this bag several years ago, and I think it was made from lambskin. Comparing it to a Veneta, I don't see it as being more structured. It was very smooshy, from what I remember. I don't remember whether it was that heavy, but then again, it was completely empty. I wouldn't have chosen it as an everyday bag because the leather seemed delicate. Plus, it was just way too big for me.

The bag in the Barney's link might be quite different from what I tried on--I don't know what type of leather it is. The handle is karung, unlike the one I tried on. That would give me pause, because I don't tend to like the feel of a thick braided handle on my shoulder, especially if it's not made of ultra soft leather. If the bag would be holding a lot of weight, I think the "bumps" of the thick braid would bother me if I were carrying it while doing a lot of walking.

I have this exact bag and love it. It is by far the softest bag I have. It fits fine over a coat and is very light weight. I wear my Veneta and Cervo hobo more but that is due to me being rough on bags and imo this bag is more fragile feeling. Hope that made sense.