Home & Garden Would a group of sterling silver photo frames be high maintenance?

in2style

O.G.
Mar 18, 2007
You know when you see a pile of photo frames on a table in a living room? Well I'd like to do that.
I'd like to use high quality photo frames, so I'd like a few of them to be sterling silver. However I'm not sure how quickly they tarnish and how much polishing would be needed? Also would this idea be a real dust collector?

After another family member dying. I realise I'd like to display lots of lovely photos rather than have them hidden away. The other idea was one more of those Usb photo frames that have 80 photos in them.

Unsure if sterling frames have protective coating? To dissuade tarnish? Possibly.
My sterling coffee set went bye-bye. To free from polishing more tarnish. No fun.
Also, dog noses & wandering fingers leave annoying marks, especially if it's stored on low tables.

I dislike digital frames.
Have been where you are, with loss.
I enjoyed wall display framed photos. In a group.
But repositioned them often, leaving nail holes.
Eventually discovered shelves = perfect.
Because held framed photos, memory objects, etc. And easy to rearrange.

Hope helps.

Reactions: BigPurseSue
Good question!
I noticed there are 100% silver frames and silver coated frames. The silver coated cost a fraction.
The 100% silver frames are actually silver mounted on wood.

Would the silver coated frame need less polishing?
I also plan to build a nice frame-collection.

My silver frames are coated and don't tarnish. There are some other lovely frames for your special photos that are easy care. Mackenzie-Child's makes some mother-of-pearl ones that are nice.

Hi!

Silver = cleaning. Those two are inseparably linked together ;) But fear not, there's help: http://www.hagertyusa.com/silver/products/silversmiths_gloves.htm

Stuff works like a charm!

Before I found them, I used stuff like Nevr Dull and other chemicals, and one could smell that even days after the treatment/cleaning indoors, except during summer when I could do it outside... It crawls under your nails and I often washed my hands 4 or 5 times after cleaning silver before the chemical stench was finally gone, then I tried surgical gloves - it helped but after some time the chemicals would still reach my hands - and since they were warm and sweaty now, they absorbed even more of it.

NEVER again since I got those gloves from hagerty. Sure it's not completely odorless but washing hands once and it's gone - no to almost no odor when using them indoors.

Silver is beautiful and maintenance got a lot easier with those gloves and product. :smile:

Kind regards,
Oliver

Reactions: prepster
You know when you see a pile of photo frames on a table in a living room? Well I'd like to do that.
I'd like to use high quality photo frames, so I'd like a few of them to be sterling silver. However I'm not sure how quickly they tarnish and how much polishing would be needed? Also would this idea be a real dust collector?

After another family member dying. I realise I'd like to display lots of lovely photos rather than have them hidden away. The other idea was one more of those Usb photo frames that have 80 photos in them.

Yes, silver is high maintenance. You would be doing a lot of polishing and yes they collect dust. It is a stunning look if you have help, or like to polish. Another consideration is quality. Sterling is gorgeous but expensive. Much modern plate is cheaper, but so thin that it looks it and may not give you that rich gleam that you like.