Would a courchevel birkin be a good idea for my first H?

charmedmac

Addicted to Bags :)
Sep 21, 2007
Hi! I am crossing over and a friend is offering me a Courchevel Graphite Birkin 35 with palladium hw and I am soooo tempted to get it!

I am an H virgin and im still not familar with the leathers of H :smile: Help please! :smile: IS courchevel a good leather? is it really plasticky? Would it age gracefully? :smile:

Any input is appreciated!

I also a 30 cm etoupe birkin in clemence and 35 blue jean birkin in clemence as an option :smile: what do you think?

My first Birkin is a Courcheval, and she's stiff, but has a little give. Experts can offer better advice, but I see no reason why they wouldn't age gracefully with proper care. Graphite PHW sounds scrumptious!

Courchevel is great...it is an embossed leather, whereas clemence is the natural grain. But it is still lovely and very durable. It is not plasticky if you are meaning in terms of shine. Will you have to buy the bag sight unseen?

Last edited:
I have an epsom birkin and I heard its like courcheval. I love it because its very lightweight and I don't have to worry as it is scratch resistant and it holds its shape well. Never have to baby the bag like the other leathers. If you like graphite then go for it! You will find it very useful.

Since it is a friend of yours, you must have seen it in real life. Touch the leather, if it doesn't feel plasticky to you, then that is okay isn't it?

As for aging gracefully, I'm sure it does. This birkin should be an oldish one as Courcheval was discontinued some years ago, so if it looks like in great condition, then you can be sure it will continue to look great as long as you take proper care.

For authenticity wise, how good a friend is this friend of yours? Have you know her a long time, know where she lives, and does she have a good record of buying only authentic goods? You may want to get her to send the bag in to Hermes-Spa, which you should pay for, then pay her for the bag after the bag comes back from spa.

Since it is a friend of yours, you must have seen it in real life. Touch the leather, if it doesn't feel plasticky to you, then that is okay isn't it?

As for aging gracefully, I'm sure it does. This birkin should be an oldish one as Courcheval was discontinued some years ago, so if it looks like in great condition, then you can be sure it will continue to look great as long as you take proper care.

For authenticity wise, how good a friend is this friend of yours? Have you know her a long time, know where she lives, and does she have a good record of buying only authentic goods? You may want to get her to send the bag in to Hermes-Spa, which you should pay for, then pay her for the bag after the bag comes back from spa.

this is just about the best advice money can buy, but it's FREE! :P LOL! ITA with Lyanna Stark. If H refuses spa treatment then you'll know the bag is fake. As far as the leather, i own vintage courchevel and epsom bags, they wear beautifully and are firm and light weight!

thank you so much for all the helpful advice. :smile:

yes i will see the bag tomorrow and maybe i will have better appreciation of the leather :smile:

yes, its a preloved bag and its stamped i.

there is no hermes store in my country! :sad:

thank you so much for all the helpful advice. :smile:

yes i will see the bag tomorrow and maybe i will have better appreciation of the leather :smile:

yes, its a preloved bag and its stamped i.

there is no hermes store in my country! :sad:
If she is really your close friend she will allow you to take pics of the bag first and post it in the authentication thread for peace of mind.

I know someone, a former Asst. Mgr. at Hermes, has several Courchevel Birkins. She DOES NOT baby her bags. She wished H still sold Courchevel as she has never found anything as durable. I say Go For it.

Courcheval is no longer used for handbags. If your friends is giving you an older bag, then it may be courcheval, which I personally like and think ages well. If it is new in the last few years, then it is not courcheval; it may be epsom which many people confuse with courcheval. Personally, I find epsom plasticky but you need to look at the bag yourself and decide.

Courchevel is great...it is an embossed leather, whereas clemence is the natural grain. But it is still lovely and very durable. It is not plasticky if you are meaning in terms of shine. Will you have to buy the bag sight unseen?

Is epsom embossed as well??

Last edited by a moderator:
hmmmm.....I don't know. I think if you like a bag without slouch and one that remains upright and rigid, then Courcheval would work. It's a leather you don't have to worry about except for corner rubs which may wear down to white and then it's off to the spa for refurbishing. It's a pressed leather and has a hand similar to Epsom so you have to like that feel.

Of the three you mentioned, the 30cm will be more of a handbag vs the 35's which are more tote-ish....which do you prefer?

I think the questions you need to answer are: Do you want a stiffer bag or one with some softness/slouch, Do you want a tote or more of a handbag (30 vs 35), Do you want a neutral (Graphite, Etoupe) or a color (Blue Jean), Do you want a soft hand or a hard hand.