Worst luck lately

JuliJenn

Spring flash of color
O.G.
Jan 14, 2012
I am having the worst luck with buyers lately and it's really affecting my status on ebay as a seller because they're all messaging me after the sale with changed minds so I'm getting all these undeserved defects. I'm jumping though hoops and getting defects. The latest buyer just five minutes ago made me an offer on an Anthropologie shower curtain. I refused her first low ball offer. Then she made me another offer which I accepted. Secondss later I get a message from her that she changed her mind and wants to cancel the sale. "Sorry for the inconvenience". It was literally two minutes from when she made the first offer to the point of her messaging me after I accepted her second offer that she'd changed her mind. I have whiplash. All my other recent buyers are pretty much the same. Changed mind after purchase. One I chased down thru the mail system for her to recall it! And I'm getting defects for each one! Could I please ask advice on how to handle this latest fickle buyer? How should I respond to her request to cancel? Why on earth would she have made me two offers if she didn't want me to sell to her? This is a an inconvenience! I had a ton of other watchers! And do I have any recourse on these undeserved defects? Thank you all so much for your help!

This was her message to me

Hello. I would like to cancel this transaction. I apologize for the inconvenience. thank you.

Any thoughts on how to reply would be most appreciated. I don't want to tell her what I really feel, so I'd appreciate some in partial assistance, please. Of course I'll cancel, but what's the best way to let her know that I don't understand why she did this to me? Or should I just be polite and say of course! No problem! And not mention that her flaky buying is a hassle for me as I lost all those other interested people. I figured it would be best for me to post on here tonight and respond to her tomorrow morning. Properly. Thank you again so very much for your advice!

Thank you, Been Burned! I thought I read that if a buyer messages you after the sale has gone thru you get a defect for that. Is that not the case? Am I okay with these buyers all messaging me after the sales are compete with their new requests?

I just sent the sale cancelation asking her to please accept as soon as possible so I can relist. It's not even like she's new at eBay. She's got over 200 FB. I'm trying to just sell these last few items I have and then I'm done with eBay for a long while. I'm having bad luck with buyers and for a reason I don't understand I've dropped from top seller to above average for Sept. The only thing I could imagine was all these kookie transactions I have had lately. All my other stats look fine. It's just too much stress for what it is anymore. Who knows. I may even be kicked off after this sale anyway if I do get defects for the messages because it's been almost every one of my last five sales. One and only one was a normal transaction. Thank you again so much for your help, Been Burned! I hope you have a wonderful holiday weekend! :smile:

Unfortunately eBay is making this part of their regular policy; they'll allow a buyer to back out of a sale if they do it within a certain amount of time.

It is utterly ridiculous, and completely inconveniences sellers.

Unfortunately eBay is making this part of their regular policy; they'll allow a buyer to back out of a sale if they do it within a certain amount of time.

It is utterly ridiculous, and completely inconveniences sellers.

Ahhh...so that's what that was! Well, its over now. Fortunately, she did not delay in responding to my request to cancel, so I've got the item back up and relisted. eBay is becoming a mine field! I can't keep up with all their changes and fault finding anymore. I've started listing on shop-hers and Vestiaire now as alternatives. Its a bit slower, but far less hassle! Thanks so much for your kind post, IrisCole! I appreciate your chiming in. I hope you have a wonderful holiday weekend!

BeenBurned is correct, you will not get a defect if you select "buyer changed mind" as the reason for cancellation. Also, unless buyers are opening INR or SNAD cases, you will not get defects for post purchase messages either. To view your defects, go to your seller dashboard. You can see how many defects you have and what they have been for. If you run a report, you can specifically see which sales (by item number) have resulted in defects. If there are any within the last 120 days that you feel should be removed, you can appeal them. Hope things turn around for you! I recently started selling on shop-hers as well and couldn't be happier with them.

Slightly OT, but are sellers getting defects simply because a buyer sends a message after the sale?? I sometimes message my seller after a sale, never to cancel, but for some other question or comment related to the transaction. Sheesh, if I'm giving them defects I'll certainly stop, but what a pain!

Slightly OT, but are sellers getting defects simply because a buyer sends a message after the sale?? I sometimes message my seller after a sale, never to cancel, but for some other question or comment related to the transaction. Sheesh, if I'm giving them defects I'll certainly stop, but what a pain!

Can't speak for the USA but here in the UK I'm pretty sure that's not the case. I had a buyer message me after she got her bag to say how much she liked it. I don't see anything untoward on my seller dashboard. As far as I'm aware messaging after sale only allows the buyer to select the star rating for seller communication if they leave feedback. If there's no post-sale communication then I believe that category is greyed out, i.e. automatic 5 stars.

It depends on the reason you've ticked as to why you're contacting. My suggestion to avoid the seller getting a defect is to check "other."

You shouldn't get any defect on buyer change mind option, only "run out of item" and another reason does as I remember.

One time I got a buyer who used her lipstick, didn't like the color and open inad case simply to ask for return. Well there is many ways to do return, how about sending me a message instead of giving me a burning 0.33% defect mark? WHAT A ____ !