Worries about sunscreen getting onto handles

BigBagLady

O.G.
Jan 13, 2006
I am so paranoid about getting my sunscreen on my arms onto the handles of my bags. So I avoid using my beloved LV's when I'm using sunscreen most of the time. Do you guys ever have this problem with sunscreen getting onto your bags' handles and them getting all sticky from it? I've had this happen to another non LV purse. Nothing worked no matter how or what I used to try to wipe that stickiness away on the handles. I ended up having to give the bag away because I couldn't stand the sticky feeling on them every time I touched them. Since then, I haven't dared carry any bags with leather handles if I have sunscreen on just in case this happens again. How about you guys? What's been your experience? Do you put sunscreen on your arms or not?

Bumping your thread!

I just been using my LV Damier Speedy for the past couple of weeks.
I wear sunscreen RELIGIOUSLY all over any area of skin that shows to the sun.. and I hate to say that my handles are too sticky and icky feeling because of it.. Sigh..

I really hate it! I'm sadly putting my speedy to rest now and gonna use my neverfull.. but eh.. I really wished it didn't do that!! I wonder if there is anyway to get the stickyness away.. I can't live without my sunscreen!

I have a handheld Tivoli and I also wear sunscreen religiously. This was also my concern, especially since my bag is relatively new and I didn't want to stain and dirty up the new vachetta. What I did was tie a bandeau around the handles to prevent the sunscreen as well as hand lotions from getting on it. Works for me so far. Not only does it prevent things from getting on the handles but the bandeau also adds character to the bag.

Bumping this....Had a sunscreen mishap yesterday. I'm a sunblock fanatic, so before going out, I sprayed my arms, and without even thinking, grabbed my mono speedy.
It did not even hit me what I did and realized only about 10 minutes later, when I looked down on my bag, and there was a long dark streak on one handle! Anyways, I thought, ok it's not the end of the world, don't panic. So got home 1/2 later, took out my baby wipes and wiped all the vachetta (not just the stained handle). This was the first time I used baby wipes as my speedy was relatively brand new, and I'd been super careful. The wipes worked, but there was still faint marks. So I decided to use Kiwi spray (I had done this before to protect from watermarks). Then I let the bag sit out in the sun for another 10 minutes or so. It worked and now you cannot really tell there was ever a streak there (although my brain still knows it's there lol). I'm glad i was able to rescue. It was a bummer because I was just about to show off my perfect peachy pink clean patina. Anyways, i'm just happy I did not have to replace the handles. Hope this helps others with sunscreen mishaps. I think because I used the spray, the liquid was more oily than lotionlike, which is probably why baby wipes worked ok.

no i dont, most sunscreens are oil based and the handles will turn dark quick, i dont care dark handles on my speedy or any of my LV ..jmo, good luck:smile:

I am so paranoid about getting my sunscreen on my arms onto the handles of my bags. So I avoid using my beloved LV's when I'm using sunscreen most of the time. Do you guys ever have this problem with sunscreen getting onto your bags' handles and them getting all sticky from it? I've had this happen to another non LV purse. Nothing worked no matter how or what I used to try to wipe that stickiness away on the handles. I ended up having to give the bag away because I couldn't stand the sticky feeling on them every time I touched them. Since then, I haven't dared carry any bags with leather handles if I have sunscreen on just in case this happens again. How about you guys? What's been your experience? Do you put sunscreen on your arms or not?

I'm bad- I don't use sunscreen on my arms but I do use moisturizer and I noticed the handles of my Alma got slightly darker one day when I didn't let the moisturizer absorb into my skin enough.

I try to be more careful now!

I wear sunscreen all through summer, and won't leave the house without it. I'm always conscious of it when I'm choosing what bag to use and tend to avoid shoulder bags that will have a lot of contact with my arm. I have a few really thin/lightweight long sleave cotton shirts which are great for wearing with LV shoulder bags in summer. I also try to buy oil-free sunscreen.

I don't wear sunscreen on my arms! I just toss on a long-sleeved beach cover up whenever I go outside. It's a little hot and cumbersome, but it saves my skin and my bag! :tup: I don't just do this when I carry my LV... I do it all the time! I found that chemical sunscreen did little to prevent tanning and also has some questionable ingredients, but physical sunscreen feels like I'm slathering oil on myself in the Texas summer.

Last edited:
I have a handheld Tivoli and I also wear sunscreen religiously. This was also my concern, especially since my bag is relatively new and I didn't want to stain and dirty up the new vachetta. What I did was tie a bandeau around the handles to prevent the sunscreen as well as hand lotions from getting on it. Works for me so far. Not only does it prevent things from getting on the handles but the bandeau also adds character to the bag.

Can you teach me how you tied it?? Did you use two bandeaus?
I just got my bag this weekend and I don't want to ruin my vachetta also....

i've always wondered about what would happen if you use sunscreen on vachetta-purposely or accidently...thank you for this thread!
i always avoided it, just to be on the safe side.
i was just about to get curious and dab some on to the leather-so glad i found this thread first!

Get some Miracle Shield from LMB...it blocks oil and water..great product, and very easy to apply...much easier than her For Handles Only product! Miracle Shield should give u some protection from the sunscreen oils