Worried about how a family member will treat new puppy...

Sternchen

O.G.
May 16, 2006
Bavaria, Germany
Hi everyone,

a family member is getting a puppy in about 2 weeks and I am already worrying about how they will treat this puppy. They don't have one clue about animals and I've heard comments from them that just made me think: "WTF?!"

They both work and will be out of the house for at least 6 hours a day. This means that the puppy will be alone. I offered to go out to their house and let the dog out to pee, but they were actually very offended, saying that the dog won't go out to pee because there is snow outside and the temps are below freezing. UMMM, HELLO?! Also they say that a dog at 9 weeks doesn't learn anything anyway.

So basically the dog will be alone in the house and will be forced to pee / poop in the area he will be confined to. I don't think this is okay at all and I already feel bad for the dog.

I don't care that they declined my offer, but I'm more shocked at the fact that they truly don't have a clue and think it will be okay for the dog to poop and pee in the house?!

They will make the same mistakes with this dog that they made with their child. *sigh*

Does anyone know of anything that I might be able to say to them without coming off as a beyotch?

poopsie

How Sentimental
O.G.
Jan 14, 2009
Where the wild things are
Where are they getting the puppy from? Perhaps you could tell them what you just told us. Other than that I don't know. Sadly, animals are still considered 'property' by many

Sternchen

O.G.
May 16, 2006
Bavaria, Germany
They are getting the puppy from a family whose doggy had puppies. It is a yellow lab.

I am an animal lover and keep thinking of my wonderful dog Bear, that died years ago, and how it was when he was a puppy. We crate trained him and I remember my mom coming home during her lunch break to let Bear out to pee.

poopsie

How Sentimental
O.G.
Jan 14, 2009
now, this is just me, but I could never let an animal go to an unsatisfactory home. If someone came to me and told me what you had said they would not be getting an animal from me. Probably why I would suck at fostering :P. No one would be good enough and I would get to keep them all!

Sternchen

O.G.
May 16, 2006
Bavaria, Germany
now, this is just me, but I could never let an animal go to an unsatisfactory home. If someone came to me and told me what you had said they would not be getting an animal from me. Probably why I would suck at fostering :P. No one would be good enough and I would get to keep them all!
haha, me too!

I think a lot of it is that they just don't have a clue. Neither has ever had a pet before.

I will try to talk to the husband tomorrow and let him know how I feel. It's not my dog, but I still feel like I have to stay anything.

I don't want to cause any trouble before the dog is even here, though!!

Know what I mean? God I wish this dog were mine :love:

poopsie

How Sentimental
O.G.
Jan 14, 2009
Yeah......................I too have a hard time 'sitting on my tongue' as it were. :P

If you know someone else who has dogs maybe they can show them just what all is involved with having a puppy. sometimes people take things more to heart when it comes from a 'outsider'. Many have no idea the amount of patience and work that goes along with having a pet and they can get overwhelmed.

What a horrible situation! I honestly think you should tip off their breeder - as said above, a reputable breeder would not allow a dog to go home to that environment. I've seen first hand what happens when someone who works full time adopts a puppy (notwithstanding, the sentiment that puppies don't learn at 9 weeks!) and it's not pretty. My friend has, hands down, the WORST dog I've ever had seen. It has been banned from day care and obedience training because of its behavior problems due to the lack of training when he was young. It is almost 2 and still goes potty in his crate and inside his owners house.

Puppies are in their "learning" phase at 9 weeks, IMO. Mine was fully crate trained by that time, and house trained by 6 months, but I was home 80% of the day to spend that time with her. I will by no means toot my own horn and say I have a perfect, angelic dog. There were times I wondered if I shouldn't give her up because I didn't think she would EVER get the hang of potty training and not gnawing on things that weren't hers. She's almost 3 and sometimes she still drives me over the wall.

I think the family member really needs to take a step back and reassess this. Even an older dog shouldn't be left in a crate that long. I know older dogs sleep, but still. They clearly don't have a clue about raising a puppy, aside from it being "sooooo cute." Soooo cute, without proper training, turns into 50 lb pain in the a**.