Worried about handles tearing off new bag!

pixytiff

Dec 6, 2008
Hey girls!

So I finally got my first Bbag yesterday--it's a gorgeous City that I've wanted for so long! I was super excited to use it, but when I put in all my things, I noticed that the handles seem to really be pulling on the leather. I can't describe it that well, so I'll attach pictures to give you a better idea of what I'm talking about.

Anyway, now I'm all scared to hold it by the handles!!! I don't want the leather to rip apart or anything...and I'm really frightened that will happen haha. I like carrying a lot of things in my bag because they're so essential...I used to carry a Prada nylon bag and I've pretty much abused it to no end but it held up really well and even though I stuff it to the brim, I never felt like the handles were going to rip off the bag.

Much help/advice/feedback would be appreciated! Obviously this is my first Bbag so I don't know how well they hold up, etc. :smile: Thanks everyone!!!!

DSC00827.jpg

DSC00828.jpg

DSC00829.jpg

DSC00830.jpg

First of all, your new bag is just beautiful! I love the richness of the blue.

I don't think I have ever, ever read (in 2.5 yrs + on this forum) about the leather ripping from the weight of what is carried inside a Bal, and I know that some girls "soften" and break in the leather by filling their bags with books and letting the weight of the books pull the leather and break it in. I do not think you have to be concerned, it's a lightweight leather, but very durable!

I try and think of old ladies when I think of a broken in Balenciaga, how some old ladies have those "smile brackets" on either side of their mouths, if you look at really broken in Bal's, they have pull marks from the handle down to the plackets from wear. It's a thing of beauty!

I wish you well,

Bridget
I wish you well,

Bridget

I don't think you need to worry - the handles pull the leather, but I've never heard of them actually tearing off! If you look at some of the bags posted here, especially those that are broken in, you will see that it just does that on all the bags - it's part of the charm of that soft, thin leather!

Oh, and BEAUTIFUL bag, by the way - congrats on your first BBag!

Last edited:
I was just going to say that some ladies actually fill their bags with books to break in their bags. So don't worry.

And ... your bag is GORGEOUS! Please post more pics :yes:

I have nothing new to contribute about your bags handles, other than to agree with everyone else that you don't have to worry, but I totally had to respond to tell you that your bag is gorgeous!! :faint: Is this the new officier color? If so, you just convinced me I NEED a bag in this color!

Congrats on your new TDF bbag! :tup:

Thanks so much!!!! You guys totally comforted me and now I won't be afraid to tote my new bag around town! :smile:

And I'm not sure what the name of the color is LOL I just saw it when I went into the store and I was like "Oh I want that one." But it does appear darker than in the pictures, because the flash makes the blue appear a lot lighter. Most of the time it actually looks black! But then when you come closer to look you see it's blue hehe I love it! Thanks again!!!

if you read the metal tag to us we can tell you what season and color name it is ... i am suspecting that this is the 2009 OFFICIER !!! also, if your paper tag says 2009 1 , i am correct!! if it's 2008 3, it should be the 2008 MARINE!

congrats on the gorgeous bag, and no need to worry AT ALL ! i carried my hard covered books in this bag all the time with my entire makeup bag, etc !!! :P

I'm sure there's no need to worry. These bags are deceptively strong. Last week a guy tried to wrench my City out of my hand in a street robbery. I held on to it like grim death and he ran off down the street with empty hands! Lovely bag, by the way!

That's a gooorgeous bag!
I can't agree more with the others, don't worry about the handle prob.
I think the leather looks yummy when it wrinkles like that under the handles!
BTW I can see more purple undertones around the zipper, def. more purple than my 08 Marine!
pics are attached, you can really see the difference.
Officier sure is an interesting color, love it.
Congrats on your first and fabulous Bbag!! :tup:

Attachments

• 08 marine.jpg
    08 marine.jpg
    114.9 KB · Views: 112
10844R is the number on chefdaisey's officer city she posted in another thread. Yet this is a city and has the number 10586. What's up with that?

The handles will be fine! It's a lovely bag and can hold everything you carry nicely.

Ooooh okay here goes...it says N 10586 R and then in another row below it says 115748

YAY, the color is the 2009 OFFICIER !!!!! amazing, i really wanted this bag too, so glad that this color is finally out! which store did you get this from? you have a metro card, so you're in NYC, right ?? me too ! :P

If that is Officier then I really like the color! I love how it is close to ink, and how it can look as dark as black. Congrats! And don't worry about the handles, they are fine.