World's Largest Malls *pics*

yea MOA isn't that big. it's only big because it has that rollercoaster inside. anyone can be a big mall if you shove a coaster inside it. lol.

SCP (South Coast Plaza, Orange County, CA) is #11 on the list, also beating MOA. Although, the demographic for both malls are entirely different.. KOP and SCP are the real rivals (west vs east and everything else about the two). I like to think that KOP and SCP, though having less retail stores in quantity, have higher quality stores and brands. Flagships and exclusive brands and designers.. while most of the malls in China have over 5-600 stores, they're all a bunch of ma/pa stores.

personally i would prefer a mall with quality design, quality brands, and quality shopping experience overall. a giant mall can get out of hand, and can be packed with people i really don't want to be rubbing elbows with.

and fyi: MOA WAS the largest in the US. until KOP and SCP expanded. then they were bumped way way down.. cuz then Union Square expanded and so did plenty of others. Time for MOA to build a few more floors up on top.. haha.

There has actually been a lot of talk/planning on expanding the MOA quite a bit so we'll see what happens *shrug* A lot of talk, a little action (so far)

I found a link!! Mall of America - Phase 2

There has actually been a lot of talk/planning on expanding the MOA quite a bit so we'll see what happens *shrug* A lot of talk, a little action (so far)

I found a link!! Mall of America - Phase 2

cool deal. not my cup of tea (malls with amusement parks/gimmicks to draw people in), but that's good for MOA.

however, i can't get over the fact that MOA has so little parking spaces, for a mall of that size/scale. SCP has nearly 140x (yes i calculated!) the number of of parking spaces that is current. (SCP has about 2.8M spaces including 4 valet stations' spaces, i believe MOA has 20k spaces, and with the expansion, an additional 8k .. for a mall that has the most visitors annually, you'd think they'd have more spaces.. i mean, 40m a year is a lot of people.. 28k spaces? really?

sparklyprincess said:
I wonder why Houston Galleria wasn't on the list. I think it's comparable to SCP and KOP.

in terms of quality of stores, yeah maybe.. but in size? not really. it's at 2.5 million square feet.. SCP is at 2.7 and KOP at 2.8. a few hundred thousand more square feet. i don't see why the Galleria can't expand.. it's texas after all.. land is abundant. lol.

You are welcome!! I'm so glad everyone is enjoying this thread. I love to see pics from around the world.

Check out the new thread I started on Forbes Top Shops of 2006!

.. KOP and SCP are the real rivals (west vs east and everything else about the two). I like to think that KOP and SCP, though having less retail stores in quantity, have higher quality stores and brands.

SCP wins over KOP when it comes to high-end designer stores. SCP pretty much has everything. KOP is very limited in the number of designer stores, but it wins out with the NO TAX. Plus, I always found fantastic sales/deals at KOP that you would never ever find in California. The Houston Galleria is pretty comparable to SCP with the number of high-end boutiques that they have (except no HERMES right inside the mall like the other two).

cool deal. not my cup of tea (malls with amusement parks/gimmicks to draw people in), but that's good for MOA.

however, i can't get over the fact that MOA has so little parking spaces, for a mall of that size/scale. SCP has nearly 140x (yes i calculated!) the number of of parking spaces that is current. (SCP has about 2.8M spaces including 4 valet stations' spaces, i believe MOA has 20k spaces, and with the expansion, an additional 8k .. for a mall that has the most visitors annually, you'd think they'd have more spaces.. i mean, 40m a year is a lot of people.. 28k spaces? really?

in terms of quality of stores, yeah maybe.. but in size? not really. it's at 2.5 million square feet.. SCP is at 2.7 and KOP at 2.8. a few hundred thousand more square feet. i don't see why the Galleria can't expand.. it's texas after all.. land is abundant. lol.

The Mall of America has 12,550 parking spaces. For the most part, it is plenty of parking. However, if you happen to go on a busy weekend or around holidays... forget it! You get stuck parking on the way top and it's windy and just cold and crappy. LOL! If I ever go there and the little guys are out with the cones trying to direct traffic, I leave. Totally takes the fun out of a nice day shopping. Booooo to huge crowds.

I've been to MOA and didn't like it at all! I need to hit up KOP one an East Coast trip.
Also been to SCP and LOVED it!!!!!!! Was only in there for a few hours on the drive back from San Diego...but it was great!

I've been to MOA and didn't like it at all! I need to hit up KOP one an East Coast trip.
Also been to SCP and LOVED it!!!!!!! Was only in there for a few hours on the drive back from San Diego...but it was great!

The MOA is a pretty boring mall with a lot of pretty boring stores (they even have a cheese-related store...).