World Search

pcarol

O.G.
Feb 11, 2008
I'm new to H, tPFers.

I've currently asked one of the shops to do a world search for an Evelyne TGM for me. They told me that it takes 2 months to do that.

I don't mind the waiting at all, but I'm just wondering, what takes them so long for a world search? In fact, what kinds of procedures do they have to go through when doing a world search? Anyone knows? Do they just click on the computer stock check and then make an international long-distance call? Just curious how they work.

They are not all that linked up. Many stores are not really connected to the main system as they are not fully owned H stores but licensed stores. AFAIK, they can search pretty well within one country, but when it comes to different countries, they have to search country by country.

Just wandering off the topic a bit, why don't H hire more craftsmen and let more people all around the world to have their dream birkins / kellys and get a bigger market share?

The problem H shops that don't have any sales ( I overheard an SA receiving a phone call from the H shop owner asking whether they made any sales on a normal Sunday at around 5pm - the SA said there were people looking at the bags but they didn't manage to sell any) is because not enough stock / inventory for customers to choose from. I can justify that by saying it is a luxury brand and it doesn't need to please the customers, but doesn't it make more sense otherwise by producing a bit more or a bit quicker?

^ I certainly wouldn't want that to happen. I still hope that Hermes would remain as an exclusive brand not a mass production.

Yup, I do adore H as an exclusive brand. I by no means wanna turn H into a mass-production company, sorry for not able to make myself clear.

What I'm saying is, how can they make enough profits if it's so difficult for them to get hold of their products and sell them?

Yes. It's part of the thrill, and I think it's one of the appeals of Hermes: that it's not readily accessible to the masses. Owning a Birkin bag (or a HAC, or a Kelly, or any of Hermes prestigious bags), for the serious collector, is like owning a piece of artwork.

I think the book, Deluxe: How Luxury Lost Its Luster by Dana Thomas explains it in a better light.

image_2.png

Just imagine those Prada logos being replaced by Hermes logos and you'll have a very unlovely sight. :yes:

^ I certainly wouldn't want that to happen. I still hope that Hermes would remain as an exclusive brand not a mass production.

I think Hermes have increased the number of craftsmen (to make Kelly and Birkin) in order to cater for the increasing worldwide demand.

Unfortunately, the person cannot be just a 'craftsman' in order to make a Kelly or Birkin. They have to undergo many years of training before they are allowed to make these 2 bags.

I do agree with Queenie that I want this brand to remain exclusive. With that kind of price you are paying for, who would want a mass production item?

Just wandering off the topic a bit, why don't H hire more craftsmen and let more people all around the world to have their dream birkins / kellys and get a bigger market share?

The problem H shops that don't have any sales ( I overheard an SA receiving a phone call from the H shop owner asking whether they made any sales on a normal Sunday at around 5pm - the SA said there were people looking at the bags but they didn't manage to sell any) is because not enough stock / inventory for customers to choose from. I can justify that by saying it is a luxury brand and it doesn't need to please the customers, but doesn't it make more sense otherwise by producing a bit more or a bit quicker?

I think that Hermes is smart not to flood the market with their popular bags because 1) they keep up the allure of the product as well as the quality and 2) most of us end up buying scads of other H things while waiting for our bags to come. All of this is why Hermes is doing well in many down economies and unlike a lot of other luxury brands still has a beautifully made product.