World Cup!!!!!!

Ooohh I've watched EVERY game on television, except for 2 games. I live in the U.S. but grew up in a British-influenced community in Singapore, so I've always been exposed to football (that's futbol for you, not American football)... I can't wait to go to a match in real life!

GerGirl, you are so lucky!!

SERENITYSUE - Hey i'm from Australia too! My friends have basically been staying up ALL night watching all the games especially the ones with Australia in it. I LOVE SOCCER!

Apparently after the croatia and brazil games - the radio and newspapers were saying how the bosses were going to be lenient with coming in the next day, and advised everyone to take their sickies haha.

yeah.. everyone in Sydney has a Socceroos flag flying on their car compliments of the Sun Herald.

AUS vs ITALY monday 12.30am AEST I'm watching it.

My BF is Italian and we played hooky from work and got up REAL early thursday morning to watch Italy vs CZ. It was pure bliss. These guys are amazing! Next...bring on the Aussies :biggrin: .

So, since the US is out...I say VIVA ITALIA :heart: :heart:

Haha in the Spain vs. Saudi game the ESPN commentators for the US were sitting next to some Spanish ones (who were MUCH more energetic than the ESPN ones) and they were like "Wow, these guys get so excited over a goal... I'd like to see them celebrate when cancer is cured!"

The dry (and sometimes inaccurate) commentators for the US pretty much reflect the general US attitude towards the WC. I kind of wish the BBC broadcast their commentary through the web so I could listen to that instead! I've lived in Middle Eastern & in Asian countries during the WC and it's A MUCH bigger deal abroad - I definitely miss it!

And btw - I think SOCCEROOS is such an adorable nickname for the Aussie team! :biggrin:

Canada was eliminated by Brazil way before the world cups, didn't stand a chance !

But it's really cute how different regions of Toronto have different cheering crowds, it's pretty crazy in Korea town and also down in little Italy. No public holidays though !

missbradshaw said:
Ashleyby - do you support any club team? I am an Arsenal season ticket holder...live football is the best, 100 times better than on tv

FC Barcelona :smile: I actually prefer following individual players.... this World Cup is fantastic for picking young talent and seeing where they end up going in the next few years. If a good player I like jumps ship to another club...I follow them. I like FC Barcelona for their history though :smile:

Pursegrrl said:
So, since the US is out...I say VIVA ITALIA :heart: :heart:

My sentiments exactly. Things in the US are pretty much business as usual, however, my husband is a contractor, and a couple of days ago he was told by a subcontractor (who was expected to finish a job that day) that nobody was coming to work b/c Mexico was playing and they were staying home to watch. I told him next time he should find a more reliable subcontractor, as in construction, time truly is money!

See I am much more into my club than country....I think in England supporting a club goes back through the generations and is a very personal thing. If you look at the England fans at the world cup, they all have the names of their club on their flags.

Yes Henry does play for Arsenal!

SerenitySue said:
Quirky, I like Holland's style of playing and they're the next team I'm supporting after the Socceroos! But hey, don't you reckon this year they've gone a bit flourescent in their orange? I don't remember it ever being so bright. It's like it's radioactive and I should slap a biohazard sticker on their jerseys. :roflmfao:

It is rather ...bright,isn't it? :lol: Down to the socks:roflmfao: . If you don't mind,I may have to use that sticker!!!!!

I love the Latin American style of Football commentating. And the game Argentina-Mexico was a nailbiter right now. Everyone expected Arg to walk all over Mexico,but I think that the latter really deserved to win :sad:.

They should be proud!!