Workmanship

^^^I agree, there are more Birkins than ever and they seem easier to get. I don't think it's a bad thing because the true afficionados will continue to buy. I have noticed a difference in quality with the bags vs. the smaller items. But then, the craftsmen start their training with the smaller items.

^^I've felt that production is up because the resellers on Ebay seem to be having a difficult time selling their Birkins. The bags are listed for the longest time. I think because the bags are handmade there will be some little things off. I had a courcheval gold Kelly from 1996 that had something slightly off at the back. I can't explain but it's where the straps are fastened...one was slightly crooked. But I knew the Kelly was handmade and that added to the beauty of it. I guess if you want a man-made bag then there are plenty around the dept. stores that are perfect.

I haven't noticed anything too horrible but it's interesting how one of my bag's silver pall. hardware tarnishes regularly while others don't. I also have a gold 2003 Annee Med. charm that tarnished badly!

"I also have a gold 2003 Annee Med. charm that tarnished badly!"
24, Faubourg
What did you do about the 2003 charm? The same thing happened to mine, I took it into the store twice (it had been unused in the box since 2003), both times they polished it. The first time didn't work, I haven't looked at it since its second polishing back in February.

24 and Janney ~ I did not know that H will polish cadenas. Does it take the scratches away or just the tarnish??

I purchased a couple of key chains from one store and they were sold tarnished. My other SA at another store said to bring them in anytime for a polish. Same thing??!

I imagine more and more people are wary of buying anything Hermes or purporting to be Hermes from places like Ebay when there is such a scandal about fakes just now and the level of education about the items you can get from fora such as this means you don't have to deal in ignorance.

From Hermes itself any imperfection should not be tolerated; its not what we wait and pay for and any store should deal with it with repair or replacement. All items deemed to be imperfect are destroyed. I was on the verge of buying a scarf once when the SA noticed the scarf fold line had become bleached in the sun. It was snatched from my hands and dispatched back to Paris for destruction. I had to order anew but at least what I got was perfection and the wait was worth it.

24 and Janney ~ I did not know that H will polish cadenas. Does it take the scratches away or just the tarnish??

I purchased a couple of key chains from one store and they were sold tarnished. My other SA at another store said to bring them in anytime for a polish. Same thing??!

My cadena was brand new in box, never used. They polished it to get rid of the tarnish on the gold. First time did not work!

I imagine more and more people are wary of buying anything Hermes or purporting to be Hermes from places like Ebay when there is such a scandal about fakes just now and the level of education about the items you can get from fora such as this means you don't have to deal in ignorance.

From Hermes itself any imperfection should not be tolerated; its not what we wait and pay for and any store should deal with it with repair or replacement. All items deemed to be imperfect are destroyed. I was on the verge of buying a scarf once when the SA noticed the scarf fold line had become bleached in the sun. It was snatched from my hands and dispatched back to Paris for destruction. I had to order anew but at least what I got was perfection and the wait was worth it.

Well I've experienced the opposite. Being told that the fading on the inner pocket of a bag was the way it was and not offering to bring in a new one or anything. Very surprising.

Actually while this topic of workmanship is up here, can someone enlighten me on my Kelly?

Is this within acceptable QC or is it one with a defect? In particular please look at the trapeze sides which are not symmetrical and the flap's top on the right hand side which looks like it has been bashed in.

P.S. When my husband got me this bag, he said that it was out of a plastic-sealed box. If it was not from him (also the reason why I am still keeping it), I would definitely ask for a refund because of its abnormality.

p1110375rv4.jpg