Working up the nerve to go to a dance class

LabelLover81

Peace Love & Purses
O.G.
Mar 5, 2010
So I LOVE to dance. Love it love it love it. I could go dancing every weekend. The only reason I don't is because my husband can't stand dancing. So we just go occasionally.
However, I was researching local dance studios, and I found a studio offering beginniners hip hop tomorrow night. I want to go, but I'm kinda shy when it comes to dancing in a "choreographed" environment.
In addition, I always feel insecure about my body. In a club, I'll never see the people again, but this class will take place locally where I might know someone. I know it's crazy, and I should just get over my anxiety, but I'm scared and nervous! Any advice?

I guess my only advice would be that most other people probably feel the same way. Indeed, they will likely be so worried about how they look themselves that they won't have time to worry about you. Most people in a beginner's class are not great at the activity yet, so everyone will be self-conscious. But if you love it, you will likely catch on fast and have nothing to worry about soon. Please don't pass up the opportunity to do something you feel passionate about just because you are self-conscious or afraid of what others might think!

I am the exact same way. I'd love to try something like a dance class or yoga, and I've just never been able to overcome my fear; however, the above poster is absolutely 100% correct. Others will not be paying attention to you at all. I think if you try it once, you'll have so much fun that you will be so excited to go back that you will forget all about the fact you were scared. :yes:

It was fun. There were about 7 of us there. The teacher was really nice, she taught us a routine to chris brown's "look at me now" and then we performed it at the end of the class for her. I'm sure I'll drive my husband crazy all week doing that routine in front of the tv when he's trying to watch football. (don't worry, he just leans to the side so he can see around me while saying 'that's really good honey!')
Anyway I think I will go back next week. It was fun and different and got me out of the house! :biggrin: