Working For Chanel

I don't know the exact % but I'm 100% certain all Chanel handbag SA's (be it at boutique or dept. stores) in the US work on commission. Actually all the SA's at high-end dept. stores such as Saks, NM, Bergdorf's, etc. work on commission. Their hourly pay is pretty minimal BUT the really goods SA's -- i.e. the ones who regularly make high-$$$ sales (which is often the case for those who work in designer handbags & shoes) or those who work in personal shopping and have loyal clients -- can make 6-figure salaries and higher. All based on how good of a salesperson you are -- i.e commission. Of course returns get deducted straight out of a SA's paycheck/commission....and that's why with my loyal SA's (whom I've come to know as friends) I really try do everything I can to avoid returns.

I have a girlfriend who used to work at NM's designer handbag full time. She told me her annual earning was around mid $60s. Never did find out the percentage of commission though.

I was told that SAs at Saks got 9%, which is pretty good, considering the pricing of high-end handbags. No wonder one of my SAs drives convertible to work, making me have the impluse to work as a Chanel SA some times. Hehehehe~~:roflmfao::roflmfao::roflmfao:

I have another post about feeling intimidated by the Chanel SA, especially at places like NM. But then I really try to put everything into perspective and I'm wondering if these people really even make that much money. Does anyone know or will try to guess how much can a ft SA for Chanel (or any other luxury line for that matter) can make as their annual income?

My guess is that it's def below 100K. :rolleyes:

Depends. Some do VERY well, close to $100K/year. I know this has been discussed before if you do a search for s/a salary or s/a income or some such phrase.

What does it matter how much they make?

Regardless, during the transaction in which you two socialize -- you are the client, he/she is the sales person. Respect should be mutual between the two of you.

It's really unacceptable for you to feel this uncomfortable with your SA. I suggest notifying the general manager of Neiman Marcus.