Workhorse bag needed. Help!

Jun 18, 2012
I'm looking for a a couple of good workhorse bags for work and need your help. I'm looking for two bags. The color options I'm considering are bordeaux, grey, caramel/camel and possibly back

They need to be:
• Premier
• Leather
• Chic styling
• Satchel or modified satchel like tote
• Relatively lightweight
• Not a lot of busy hardware, external pockets, etc.
• Optional shoulder strap preferred
• Large enough for daily needs and an iPad. Ability to fit a 13" laptop is nice but definitely not a requirement.

And most importantly
• Little or preferably no branding to go under the radar at work.

Some bags I like: YSL sac du jours, Max Mara Whitney, Givenchy Horizon, Marc Jacobs west end tote. But none have been perfect.

These bags will get loooooots of use so I'm happy getting them preloved. And I'd like to stay $1500 or less which is decent for many bags on sale or preloved.

Please help!

How about a Prada saffiano tote? It's quite under the radar and there are lots of colours to choose from. It also comes with a strap to wear it cross body. The leather lasts very long since it is saffiano! Mine has no cracks yet and I lug it around with my laptop inside.

Reactions: Sparkletastic
I'm looking for a a couple of good workhorse bags for work and need your help. I'm looking for two bags. The color options I'm considering are bordeaux, grey, caramel/camel and possibly back

They need to be:
• Premier
• Leather
• Chic styling
• Relatively lightweight
• Large enough for daily needs and an iPad. Ability to fit a 13" laptop is nice but definitely not a requirement.

And most importantly

Some bags I like: YSL sac du jours, Max Mara Whitney, Givenchy Horizon, Marc Jacobs west end tote. But none have been perfect.

These bags will get loooooots of use so I'm happy getting them preloved. And I'd like to stay $1500 or less which is decent for many bags on sale or preloved.

Please help!
Have a look at Jimmy Choo Riley. It comes in two sizes. The medium one can fit a 13" laptop, the large one a 15" . It's lightweight too.

They need to be:
• Premier
• Leather
• Chic styling
• Relatively lightweight

And most importantly

Please help!
Have you considered Tods Joy tote? Medium and large are great sizes for work and the handles are long enough to go over the shoulder. It's a chic bag, logos very discreet, and within your price range. I really like the ones with contrast linings :smile:

How about a Prada saffiano tote? It's quite under the radar and there are lots of colours to choose from. It also comes with a strap to wear it cross body. The leather lasts very long since it is saffiano! Mine has no cracks yet and I lug it around with my laptop inside.
I have 2 Prada double zip totes (mini pink and small red) I adore them both and would run to get a larger size for a workhorse. But I know the Prada branding may be too much in some professional environments.

Have you considered Tods Joy tote? Medium and large are great sizes for work and the handles are long enough to go over the shoulder. It's a chic bag, logos very discreet, and within your price range. I really like the ones with contrast linings :smile:
I really would love something more like a satchel vs a true tote. But thanks for the suggestion.

How about the Gucci bamboo shopper in either medium or large? The embossed logo is fairly discreet, on just one side of the bag, and it's got 3 compartments including a zippered center one and comes with an optional shoulder strap. The large is big too, lots of space, and the medium is good sized as well.

It's been discontinued but you can still find new or near new in your price range in a lot of great colors. Megs did a whole review on hers with lots of great pics by Vlad. Hers is blue.

True, unless you wear it the other way around where the logo is hidden.
I don't want to have to worry about which way my bag is facing when I'm trying to work. Plus nosy people have a way of eyeballing what they are curious about.
Have you checked out the YSL shopping tote? Its a classic design, understated and super light weight.
My one workhorse is the YSL Monogram Cabas. I love it but want to find a different brand. I'm a little worried about the YSL logo.

I know I may sound a little paranoid but I've been on jobs where people got jealous and petty over the smallest things. So I'm just trying to be safe and fly under the radar. :smile:

@Sparkletastic hey friend, would you consider Mulberry Bayswater? Has satchel like vibe w/ 2 handles that can fit over shoulder. Branding is very subtle (a big requirement for me as well) & it fits a lot. Some folks might say they can get heavy but I personally don't feel they are. You can definitely find one in good condition on pre-loved market for your pricepoint or less. I believe a few of the newer style Mulberry Bayswaters have the additional crossbody strap. Mulberry also has a (discontinued style called "Willow") that might peek your curiousity based on your description. I would have also recommended the new Celine TriFold bag to you but no crossbody strap & not sure you're a Celine fan....another very subtle branding line:smile:. I have 3 workhorse bags for work & love them all.....my grey Mulberry Bayswater, my new black Celine TriFold, & my Souris color Celine Luggage (pics are on my profile page under albums if you are curious & want to see what they look like) GOOD LUCK w/ your hunt! You are indeed a masterful Huntress so I know you'll find something fabulous!!:flowers::biggrin:

Reactions: Sparkletastic
@Sparkletastic hey friend, would you consider Mulberry Bayswater? Has satchel like vibe w/ 2 handles that can fit over shoulder. Branding is very subtle (a big requirement for me as well) & it fits a lot. Some folks might say they can get heavy but I personally don't feel they are. You can definitely find one in good condition on pre-loved market for your pricepoint or less. I believe a few of the newer style Mulberry Bayswaters have the additional crossbody strap. Mulberry also has a (discontinued style called "Willow") that might peek your curiousity based on your description. I would have also recommended the new Celine TriFold bag to you but no crossbody strap & not sure you're a Celine fan....another very subtle branding line:smile:. I have 3 workhorse bags for work & love them all.....my grey Mulberry Bayswater, my new black Celine TriFold, & my Souris color Celine Luggage (pics are on my profile page under albums if you are curious & want to see what they look like) GOOD LUCK w/ your hunt! You are indeed a masterful Huntress so I know you'll find something fabulous!!:flowers::biggrin:
I've actually been considering the Mulberry Bayswater. :smile: I've been looking a teeny bit but haven't seem the 2 colors I want - a medium / dark grey with shw or a burgundy with ghw. If I decide to get serious about this bag, I need to get educated on this model as I've heard that the "older" ones are better quality than the "new" ones. I don't know what the cut off point is or how to identify it.

Reactions: Elizabeth2671029