Workplace Work Vent aka Complain About Your Job!

See, I have found that if you offer to explain things to people... in detail... they never ask again. You would be surprised at how embarressed you can make OTHER people with little to no effort.

So, at my job, I stand or sit on a ladder all day long. I stick one arm and my head into a hole that is 11" x 18" oval. And I work with chemicals that are nasty enough that my work pays us for 20 minutes at the end of the day to take a shower. I have to do at least half of my work by looking in a mirror to see what I am doing. Some of that work I have to do looking in the mirror and working with my non-dominant hand. I won't complain about my co-workers, because co-workers are about the same everywhere. Some are nice, some are asshats. At least I have a cool supervisor this year. Last year I had the supervisor from hell.

Yeah, that is likely true. I guess I could just do that then. I just don't want to look like a freak you know?

Sounds like you have a tough time. mad respect your way for putting up with it.

I wouldn't even try to explain anything. It really isn't anyone's business except maybe the boss if whatever is affecting your work and productivity.

Our place has gone so far downhill recently we've almost become a laughingstock among other similar agencies in the area. It's pathetic. And there's nothing I can do about it. No one listens. As a result, I've all but stopped trying to do anything at all to help. I do my job. I keep to myself. I don't discuss anything with anyone. I'm a lame duck in many senses. Just biding my time, trying to lay low and fly under the radar until the first of the year when I plan on leaving.

See, I have found that if you offer to explain things to people... in detail... they never ask again. You would be surprised at how embarressed you can make OTHER people with little to no effort.

So, at my job, I stand or sit on a ladder all day long. I stick one arm and my head into a hole that is 11" x 18" oval. And I work with chemicals that are nasty enough that my work pays us for 20 minutes at the end of the day to take a shower. I have to do at least half of my work by looking in a mirror to see what I am doing. Some of that work I have to do looking in the mirror and working with my non-dominant hand. I won't complain about my co-workers, because co-workers are about the same everywhere. Some are nice, some are asshats. At least I have a cool supervisor this year. Last year I had the supervisor from hell.

I second this. the OP can explain it in just general terms that she has some digestive issues and they ask for more specifics, I'd suggest just to lay it out there.

I have a coworker who eats all day long, all day, I mean it. And she plays on Facebook. She's kind of lazy, but she's sorta likeable.... the workload is tremendous since our staff has been cut drastically.
But, I have my own office and feel lucky to have a job at all in this crappy economy.

I'm working on Saturday...it sucks...I hate it. I shouldn't be here right now and nobody will cover for me when I ask for a day off. This is the 3rd week in a row I've done overtime for people...time to start saying no.

The times I've ended up covering for everybody else's whims and such I've just reminded myself, you make horrible money and you need this ot. It helps a little.

Good way of looking at it Nooch. At a 44 hour work week, it's tough sometimes.

Saturdays suck though. No breaks, no covering, lunch at the reception desk. you get the picture.

To Surgeons/Residents,

It's great that you have chosen a career to help people and save lives. But if there is one thing most of you suck at, it's communication. Learn to write your orders properly and clearly and maybe you won't get paged so much. There's no need to be a f**ken ass when you call back and treat me like i'm incompetent.

Don't tell your patients one thing and then order something else without telling the nurse or the patient. It confuses people!

Yup, i'm a cranky RN and had a ****-tastic day :rant:

This is scary. I have noticed that some RNs do not have a clue with so much riding on their decisions. I am glad to know that you still care. It gives me confidence in the medical feild. Hang in there we need the good RNs to stay around.

Good way of looking at it Nooch. At a 44 hour work week, it's tough sometimes.

Saturdays suck though. No breaks, no covering, lunch at the reception desk. you get the picture.

I cannot even tell you how many times I've nearly peed myself because I was alone in the store and could not leave the floor and customers would not get the hell out so I could lock up for a minute to pee.

^^I know it sucks. I think of the line in Devil Wears Prada where Emily is saying that you're chained to the desk, then the other girl shows up late and she says how she's been needing to pee for hours. Sigh, it goes with the territory.

Dude. Work jaded does not even begin to describe me - I gave notice for the end of the month (I know it's more than two weeks but it's such a horrible company to work for I want them to have a chance of replacing me on time so my coworkers - who are not at fault in any of this - don't get screwed) and I just want to die every second I am there.

I'm off today, and I've gotten five text messages and three phone calls from work. Two of the things were accusations of not completing work that was specifically supposed to be done upon arrival of TODAY'S SHIPMENT.

OH HEY THERE'S ANOTHER TEXT MESSAGE PLEASE KILL ME

Dude. Work jaded does not even begin to describe me - I gave notice for the end of the month (I know it's more than two weeks but it's such a horrible company to work for I want them to have a chance of replacing me on time so my coworkers - who are not at fault in any of this - don't get screwed) and I just want to die every second I am there.

I'm off today, and I've gotten five text messages and three phone calls from work. Two of the things were accusations of not completing work that was specifically supposed to be done upon arrival of TODAY'S SHIPMENT.

OH HEY THERE'S ANOTHER TEXT MESSAGE PLEASE KILL ME

i used to work for dillards who had a huge reputation of firing people who had put in their 2 weeks notice. the worst was when less than a week was left and they'd fire them. the manager would use things such as sales being in "deficit" or clocking in 2 minutes late (when they give you only 3 strikes) during the past month, etc.

basically things that obviously were not a problem until the person put in their 2 weeks.

I won't get fired because there is no one who knows enough to replace me - it's a very disorganized company and they have not called one person for an interview yet.

The amount of horror this company has put me through knowing I wouldn't quit because I needed the job (not that I ever went out and SAID it, but I didn't quit when most would have) is appalling.