Workplace Work surveys confidential and anonymous?

uhpharm01

O.G.
Nov 11, 2012
Hi everyone ,

There was a work survey sent out by a third party for a high level manager and in the email is said that everyone's answers are anonymous and confidential. I'm Just wondering how can that be. I thought that surveys are either anonymous or confidential and not both. So how can this survey be both confidential and anonymous. I think the higher level managers above my department want to replace all of the managers. Any thoughts or ideas? Thank you

Surveys can't be anonymous AND confidential. It's one or the other. From here: http://www.statisticssolutions.com/confidentiality-vs-anonymity/

Anonymous:
When data is collected and held anonymously, it indicates that there are no identifying values that can link the information to the participant; not even the researcher could identify a specific participant. Online survey tools are typically conducted anonymously, however, the researcher needs to be certain the IP address is not stored. The researcher also needs to keep in mind that too many identifying demographic variables could hinder the anonymity of the participants. In an anonymous study, the researcher needs to indicate how the participants will be kept anonymous. Be certain to include that no participants will be identified. It is also helpful to let the participant know that data will be analyzed at the group level.

Confidential:
When data is collected and held confidentially, the researcher can identify the subjects. One way of identifying the subjects is to assign an identifying number or code to each participant. Additionally, any survey that takes place in face to face environment is automatically labeled as confidential, as the researcher will know who provided the data. When data is collected confidentially, the information needs to be kept in a secure environment because the participants are identifiable. And similarly to anonymous data collection, it is also helpful to let the participant know that data will be analyzed at the group level in order to de-identify participants. Identifying numbers will not be presented in the results of the analyses.

Hi everyone ,

There was a work survey sent out by a third party for a high level manager and in the email is said that everyone's answers are anonymous and confidential. I'm Just wondering how can that be. I thought that surveys are either anonymous or confidential and not both. So how can this survey be both confidential and anonymous. I think the higher level managers above my department want to replace all of the managers. Any thoughts or ideas? Thank you
i think the managers above my department want to replace all of the managers in my department and it's has bad performance.

Surveys can't be anonymous AND confidential. It's one or the other. From here: http://www.statisticssolutions.com/confidentiality-vs-anonymity/

Anonymous:
When data is collected and held anonymously, it indicates that there are no identifying values that can link the information to the participant; not even the researcher could identify a specific participant. Online survey tools are typically conducted anonymously, however, the researcher needs to be certain the IP address is not stored. The researcher also needs to keep in mind that too many identifying demographic variables could hinder the anonymity of the participants. In an anonymous study, the researcher needs to indicate how the participants will be kept anonymous. Be certain to include that no participants will be identified. It is also helpful to let the participant know that data will be analyzed at the group level.

Confidential:
When data is collected and held confidentially, the researcher can identify the subjects. One way of identifying the subjects is to assign an identifying number or code to each participant. Additionally, any survey that takes place in face to face environment is automatically labeled as confidential, as the researcher will know who provided the data. When data is collected confidentially, the information needs to be kept in a secure environment because the participants are identifiable. And similarly to anonymous data collection, it is also helpful to let the participant know that data will be analyzed at the group level in order to de-identify participants. Identifying numbers will not be presented in the results of the analyses.

You're right.

Thank you. I've answered the survey in very general matter but there a code at the end that I had to enter.

Reactions: redney
I never believe that they are anonymous or confidential.

We had an employee satisfaction survey at one of my jobs and a couple of co-workers answered truthfully about our manager who was a total nightmare. Since there were only ten of us and she already had it in for those two, she immediately assumed it was them but also began conducting a witch hunt. She was also close with the head of HR and I have no doubt the underlying info was leaked to her. She as much as admitted it to us in our team meeting.

Reactions: uhpharm01
I never believe that they are anonymous or confidential.

We had an employee satisfaction survey at one of my jobs and a couple of co-workers answered truthfully about our manager who was a total nightmare. Since there were only ten of us and she already had it in for those two, she immediately assumed it was them but also began conducting a witch hunt. She was also close with the head of HR and I have no doubt the underlying info was leaked to her. She as much as admitted it to us in our team meeting.
Oh wow. Thank you for posting. This clarifies things even farther for me.