Work related anxiety/stress due to boss !

Our PurseForum community is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker. Thank you!
  1. Hi everyone,

I started a job 3 months ago and I have been hating it more and more. It is a small family business and the owner is a tyrant and a bully! He is EXTREMELY moody and likes to take out his stress on his employees. The morale is very low and he is an ass to everyone. I try to stay out of his way as much as possible but I can't help but feel the tension and stress in the workplace when he is in one of his moods and starts stomping around and generally being disrespectful. To give you an idea he has reduced some other employees to tears in the past.

Anyway, I have been dreading work as a result of this. I can't stop worrying about work even on my days off. On Sundays I experience anxiety about going into work the next day because I am not sure if he will be in a bad mood and whether or not I will be told off by him. Sometimes when I am sick I am terrified of asking for a sick day because I would rather not deal with his reaction. He is a workplace BULLY but unfortunately since he is the owner and paying our wages everybody just puts up with it.

Does anyone have any advice ? I am totally at a loss !. My family are telling me that I am lucky to have a job in this town which has such a high unemployment rate and that I shouldn't be complaining. I feel like my work hours are seeping into my home hours and all I worry about is work. Does anyone have any suggestions on how I can take the focus of this awful job too ?

Thankyou in advance.

2. Look for another job. No job is worth messing up your health for and it will only get worse. I had a horrible job that gave me anxiety and I lasted two weeks. It is not going to get better. You say it is causing you anxiety when you are not working. Can you see how bad your health will be if you are there for a year or two. It will suck the life right out of you.

3. I don't know what I can do. I have been looking for jobs for the past 2 months and its so hard in this town. I feel really stuck and each day I am becoming more depressed as a result. Thanks for your reply by the way.