Workplace Work dinner group—— who not to invite?

giphy.gif

I’ve already explained myself.

This gathering is within the work environment. It is not an outside of work gathering otherwise the OP would have made that clear. Even she admits it is a little catty.

My policy is if I am advertising a gathering around everyone I work with EVERYONE is included otherwise I’d keep my mouth shut.

It is not cool to broadcast a gathering at work if others are not invited IMO.

To further elaborate since you are so focused on what “I” would do, here is an illustration on how I would handle a similar sitch:

I plan a dinner with 3 people/friends I work with.
Another person we work with (ie in the SAME section/group/unit, etc.) finds out and is hurt they were not invited.
I pull that person aside and say, “I didn’t know you wanted to be included. You are welcome to join us!”

The end.

PS The title of the thread - WORK DINNER GROUP

C'mon...seriously. You're gonna ONLY pay attention to the title of the thread when OP has clearly explained the situation in more detail?? OP has clarified that these are close friends, who she happens to work with, hence the slightly misleading thread title. But if you want to be stubborn about it and base your responses on incorrect information...

C'mon...seriously. You're gonna ONLY pay attention to the title of the thread when OP has clearly explained the situation in more detail?? OP has clarified that these are close friends, who she happens to work with, hence the slightly misleading thread title. But if you want to be stubborn about it and base your responses on incorrect information...

Stop stirring the pot.

We all have a right to our opinions based on how we view a situation.

If you disagree with mine, move on.

...This gathering is within the work environment. It is not an outside of work gathering otherwise the OP would have made that clear. Even she admits it is a little catty.

My policy is if I am advertising a gathering around everyone I work with EVERYONE is included otherwise I’d keep my mouth shut.

It is not cool to broadcast a gathering at work if others are not invited IMO...

My company's HR agrees with you. A situation similar to the OP's was a hypothetical situation presented during our most recent (anti-)harassment training. The head of HR and the corporate trainer (consultant) were both of the opinion that as it primarily involved workmates and as the activity was fairly widely known, it might be considered by others as work-related. And while it does not rise to legally-defined harassment, excluding specific persons could be seen as contributing to a negative work environment.

Reactions: bagnshoofetish