"Work" bag to wear with suiting (Under $100)

Jan 22, 2008
I am starting a summer internship this summer in the legal field and I need a purse or work type bag that will go with suiting. All of my suiting goes with black shoes so I think a black bag would be best, but I have NO idea what style bags are appropriate for the office. I don't think I'll be bringing work home or anything, but I do want to be able to put my wallet and other belongings in something so I look put together.

Thanks for your help!

Black is a great idea. I'd say nothing too logo-heavy or laden with big, flashy hardware or fringe. If you don't need to carry papers I'd also suggest a hand bag rather than a shoulder bag. Sometimes shoulder bags can throw off the drape of your suit jacket. If you carry files around (in the future) then all bets are off and a black tote is your most practical choice.

You might see logo bags carried by the female associates - it depends on your firm's culture - but that doesn't mean that you should do so. I'd say lay low the first week and get a feel for your workplace. Sometimes a young intern who has flashy bags and jewelry sends the wrong message, kwim? Even if the associates like your look the other interns might resent you, and this could really hurt you.

Some more expensive black bags that can give you an idea of office appropriate are the Mulberry Bayswater (nice because it can be shoulder or handheld), LV black epi leather (because it's so low-key, but high quality), and some J.Crew satchels like the Brompton hobo (but only if it looks proportional on you - if it looks like a suitcase I'd pass), and Tory Burch's Robinson line in black.

I should have put this in my original post- I know that it has to be all black and no logos (I hate logos and would never wear them anyway). I don't like handbags, so it has to be a shoulder bag or a tote bag that will go on my shoulder. I won't be carrying anything home, but I would like it to be able to reasonably accommodate a legal sized note pad and a small lunch or snack.

I have also decided if it is stylish enough I could wear it in my regular life, I'm willing to pay up to $300. I'd still like to stay under $150 if possible. I really like J.Crew, are either of these work appropriate?

http://www.jcrew.com/womens_feature/NewArrivals/bags/PRDOVR~42142/42142.jsp

http://www.jcrew.com/womens_category/handbags/leatherbags/PRDOVR~29063/29063.jsp

I don't think I want a super plain tote that could only be used for work, but if that is what it has to be to be professional that is fine I will just spend less.

Since a law office is generally more conservative than some other businesses, I'd say maybe the second bag would be a better choice.
Another suggestion would be if you have Loehmanns or Nordstroms Rack in your area, the would probably have bags in your price range...also TJ Maxx.

I like either one of your choices! :tup: I worked in law firms for 15 years. I am strictly a hobo wearer and can tell you that no one pays attention to the bag you wear unless it has fringes or lots of hardware. You're safe. Smart choices!

Oh, the Brompton hobo is perfect! I've recently been reminded that J. Crew has some really nice affordable bags. I have the Indio bucket in black, and have just ordered the Indio bucket in toffee.

You should look at Asos. They have some satchel/messenger style bags that would work. I ordered one in black leather today that has a long strap as well for a work bag. I have a rolling briefcase I take to and from work w/ all my stuff, but that doesn't sound necessary for you.

This is the one I ordered:

http://us.asos.com/ASOS-ASOS-Leathe...VyLVRvcC1IYW5kbGUtQnVja2xlLVNhdGNoZWwvUHJvZC8.

For a work bag, I think that would work great and it is under budget. Office appropriate too.