Work appropriate Chanels?

snowbubble

O.G.
Sep 5, 2013
I am in my early 20s, just finished up my internship and is now hired on full time. I work in the engineering field so majority of my co-workers are male; I figure they don't know much about designers anyways.

However one day, one of my friend who was also a intern at the time mentioned how people started talking about her when she wore her Chanel sunglasses. Now she would only wear Michael Kor sunnies to work. I immediately stop bringing any thing Chanel and stuck to my balenciagas for work, or I would sneak my GST or jumbo to work with the pocket side out.

It is so weird trying to 'sneak' a bag to work, they cost so much I want to enjoy them, not just for the weekend...

Is it really that inappropriate to bring Chanel to work? I noticed a fellow intern friend of mine driving a brand new BMW to work. Do you think there is a double standard here? Where it is 'okay' for people to spend money on certain luxuries more than others?

Haha i'm just ranting at this point..

I am recently thinking of purchasing a reissue because it seems more low key. At some point I even regreting my GST and classic flap purchases.

How do you ladies do it?

omg!!!! life is so short show off your bag, I work hard for my chanel bags and I want to carry it all the time, your young and work and you have every right to buy what you want.

You sort of answered your own questions.

You noticed intern friends in their early 20s driving BMWs to work just like how others might notice you carrying Chanel.

There is no right and wrong in this. Just a matter of how you deal with it and what you can deal with.

If you don't want to risk being singled out, then reissue is probably better. If you can take what others might say, then go for what you'd like to take to work. After all, it's your money and their mouths. You can do whatever you want with your money while they can do whatever they want with their mouths.

Thank you all for your responses! I just took my jumbo flap out and filled it with all my work stuff, LETS DO THIS! :smile:

I just can't believe males gossip just as much as females, if not more.. haha!

I'm curious, do you ladies wear your Chanels to work?
How do you cope with comments and being targeted in gossip?

@chanelclassic8, thank you for the link to the blog; makes me feel that is more 'okay' to wear such pieces to work since my work environment is more of a flat structure and less hierarchical.

@calflu: your right, what other people say shouldn't matter to me, it is their mouth. :smile:

I am also working in engineering construction industry.. and every time I use my CF, I always hear my males colleagues talking about how I expensive my purse is... They even told me not to bring it on site office.. :nogood:

but then i realize.. what the heck?! I saved a lot to have this bag. I will use it anywhere I want!..:pout::rant:

now, they don't talk about me and my bag..

they know I love chanel.. :yes::yahoo:

Thank you all for your responses! I just took my jumbo flap out and filled it with all my work stuff, LETS DO THIS! :smile:

I just can't believe males gossip just as much as females, if not more.. haha!

Good for you. It isn't as though you work in a field where compensation is low. Enjoy your Chanels. If your colleagues can come to work in BMWs, you can wear your Chanels just fine. If you get a snarky comment you might retort "What do you think of Bif's BMW?" I'd like to think that you'd get only compliments on your pretty purses. And, yes, males can gossip like you can't imagine. A lot! Really.

I am also working in engineering construction industry.. and every time I use my CF, I always hear my males colleagues talking about how I expensive my purse is... They even told me not to bring it on site office.. :nogood:

but then i realize.. what the heck?! I saved a lot to have this bag. I will use it anywhere I want!..:pout::rant:

now, they don't talk about me and my bag..

they know I love chanel.. :yes::yahoo:

OH MY! Who are they to tell you what you can and can't wear!!! :mad:
haha Engineering guys are nosey!!!!
I'm happy for you!

Okay, so I just got to get past the initial stage. :biggrin:
Chanel to worky Yayayyay. :graucho:

I think people need to stop worrying about what others think -- and if they say something slick, clap back (either nicely or snakily) and they probably won't do it again. Unless it's an issue of safety or you work in an environment that would mess up your bag, glasses or any nice clothing or shoes, rock whatever you want.

Sent from my iPhone using PurseForum