Words that grate, words you hate....

chag

O.G.
May 30, 2006
Yes I know there was a thread like this somewhere but going through hundreds of them just isn't my cup of tea right now :P

This word has been bothering me for quite some time now. I just don't understand it :nogood: I would really like to hear explanations of why it is used? The word I am speaking of I am seeing so often it seems to be commonplace now which is even more disturbing. The word that bothers me to no end is omfg. :tdown: why in the world would anyone want to use it? I can understand and even use the omg myself but I just can't even bear to look at the other one:sick: Any one else feeling this? I'm asking that this thread doesn't turn religious or it will be closed. I would just like to get my hate for it out and see what other words you all hate

Last edited:
I hate it when guys call girls "hot". I get it if you are talking about a celebrity, like "OMG Jessica Alba" is hot or something. But if it's a girl you KNOW, for ex. at school, I believe it is very degrading for a girl to be called hot. Try beautiful, pretty, etc. Just my opinion..some people might like being called hot. Good for you :smile:

Also, I don't like it when people say "No offense.." because whatever is following is obviously something that is going to sound offensive. I make this mistake too though.

Last edited:
I hate it when it says "So and so does this while so and so looks on" in a picture caption. Do they always have use "while so and so looks on?" They couldn't say "accompanied by" or "under the watchful eye of"?

It would be nice if they tailored the caption to whatever was going on in the picture.

It's not even a word but I can't stand when people say "irregardless" like it's an actual word. What they're TRYING to say is exactly the same as what "regardless" means!
That and "I could care less." It's "I couldn't care less." Lol.

As for other worse/phrases..."bar none", when people say they have a workout "regime" when they really MEAN "regimen" and "the pictures don't do this justice." Just say it looks better in real life. :P

Ugh, I HATE it when people use the word "retard" eg: Oh, I'm such a RETARD, I left my book at home. Some people just don't think how upsetting and offensive it is for others to hear.

I also agree with LVBabyDoll - it's couldn't care less, not could care less.

I HATE when people use GAY as a negative adjective! Really? Are you an 8th grade boy or something? Ugh. I also dislike (hate is too strong for this one) when people use explitives excesively. When you do that they loose all meaning and punch. Mostly dumb teenagers who think they are too cool for school.

The question then would be do they have any meaning at all those explitives? Are they so important that they fly out of mouths everywhere all the time? When I'm sitting at dinner with my two kids and have to listen to them fly out of the mouth of the idiot next to us who has no class whatsoever? Oh boy don't get me started:sick:

when people use explitives excesively. When you do that they loose all meaning and punch. Mostly dumb teenagers who think they are too cool for school.

:s that's how soldiers communicate with one another!!! Where do you think all the great acronyms come from? like FUBAR!!!! :biggrin:

Though I usually throw everyone off by saying 'freak' instead of 'f...', etc. I love doing that.

Hmmm, a few for starters:

- the "c" word. Yikes

- "tasty"...as in 'wow, that casserole was really tasty.' Don't shoot me, but I can't stand that word. I think it's because I went out a few times with a guy who used it all the time and it completely annoyed me so now when I hear it I think of him.

- "Alls"....I'm sorry but saying "alls I meant was..." is sloppy grammar. Rather it's "ALL I meant was...."

- Starting a sentence with "unfortunately." Again, probably my own quirky pet peeve but I despise it when people say or start an email sentence with "unfortunately..." as in "unfortunately, the test plan has to be rewritten by next Tuesday." It just has this weird negative vibe I don't like. Sorry, can't explain that one very well.