Women's input on men's style

ptwilliams

Dec 31, 2012
I am a single, early 50’s, heterosexual, male who often is complemented on my outfits, due not in small part to my participation on styleforum (a men’s version of purseforum). I wonder, however, whether the lack of female input is a handicap in dressing to attract women. In particular, women may not agree with styleforum dress codes, since I notice that many well-dressed women on this forum are not bound by these conventions. In particular:
1) Women’s accessories often prominently display coach, Gucci, LV, Burberry, and other logos, where as such branding is looked down upon in styleforum. I’ve wondered whether women might find a Chanel, Gucci, LV scarf attractive on a man because they would see it as complementary of their own fashion choices.
2) Are shirttails out perceived as sloppy or a carefree attitude?
3) Are Ed Hardy-type shirts attractive?
4) How might even well dressed men do differently that women would appreciate?
Thanks

I am a single, early 50’s, heterosexual, male who often is complemented on my outfits, due not in small part to my participation on styleforum (a men’s version of purseforum). I wonder, however, whether the lack of female input is a handicap in dressing to attract women. In particular, women may not agree with styleforum dress codes, since I notice that many well-dressed women on this forum are not bound by these conventions. In particular:
1) Women’s accessories often prominently display coach, Gucci, LV, Burberry, and other logos, where as such branding is looked down upon in styleforum. I’ve wondered whether women might find a Chanel, Gucci, LV scarf attractive on a man because they would see it as complementary of their own fashion choices.
2) Are shirttails out perceived as sloppy or a carefree attitude?
3) Are Ed Hardy-type shirts attractive?
4) How might even well dressed men do differently that women would appreciate?
Thanks

How apt, just in time for Men's London Fashion Week! :biggrin:

1) Your perception of how women dress on tPF is slightly inaccurate.

In the Wardrobe Forum, Alexander McQueen, Isabel Marant, Rick Owens are far more popular than the brands you mention. Bags and accessories seem to be different, LV and Chanel are very popular but we probably have a younger average age membership(?) I have no problem buying Gucci or Hermes but nothing with a logo, there leather pieces and silk scarves are gorgeous, I also have Tanner Krolle (owned by Chanel) Pickett etc. Only more commercial lines (now often called 'lifestyle' bags) have monogram prints, these in themselves have their tradition.

2) So long as the shirt fits

3) So long as the body fits

4) Men need to find their own style, whatever than might be. It depends on their figure and lifestyle of course but also their identity through their 'look' whether it be sleek Italian style, trad British gent or casual, West Coast American. There seems to be a men's clothing renaissance ATM, which is great. I like the way my BF dresses, he has his own style that is a mix of vintage trad and arty but then he is tall, has a good figure and brave. He also looks great in luxe sportswear but so many men don't. Funny how mainstream style has caught up with him lately, so many men now wearing proper hats, cuff-links and evening scarves. Certainly men shouldn't generally dress for or just to attract women (I can't even think how that goes) clothes are a strong part of someone's core identity male or female, once men find out their real style-identity and are brave enough to take the flack for it if necessary, they are bound to attract the right woman.

Last edited:
:goodpost:

I'd also like to add some of the attractive styles I've seen men in their 50s wear. It's not necessarily about the designer or the brand, but the entire man as a whole (body type, hair, confidence etc). I love wearing Louboutin's but I certainly wouldn't find a man more or less attractive if he wore the same designer as me. That said, here are some things I really like seeing on older men (dressing age appropriately):

Pierce Brosnan
He mixes up formal and casual which with jeans, button down and blazer.
http://www.klast.net/pb/lamp.jpg

Liam Neeson
Eases it up with a leather jacket
http://moviecultists.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/Liam-Neeson-in-Taken-2.jpg

Viggo Mortensen
He also does the blazer over casual wear practice but Viggo experiements with his hair. He cuts it short, grows it out. Same with his facial hair. Sometimes a beard, sometimes clean cut. Viggo tends to not be afraid of choosing different looks for himself.
http://i2.listal.com/image/880722/936full-viggo-mortensen.jpg
http://www.aceshowbiz.com/images/we...al-toronto-international-film-festival-03.jpg

Antonio Banderas
He pulls a no-no in my books when he dresses too young. Granted, he's probably just running some errands, but dressing "young" actually ages him.
http://knockedupcelebs.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/09/antonio-banderas.jpg

I much prefer when he wears something as just as simple, but more put together. A buttoned v-neck with a structured jacket here:
http://cdn.sheknows.com/articles/2012/02/antonio-banderas6.jpg

So to answer your questions:

1) No
2) Depends on the length. Younger guys can get away with it, but gentlemen of the more experienced persuasion look best put together
3) On anyone older thank 25? No.
4) Not worry too much about WHAT they are wearing, but probably how they are wearing it (correct fit) and where they are wearing it to (purpose).

1) A woman who is into fashion knows her designers and doesn't need to see the actual brand name to know you have good taste. In my opinion, and I hope this doesn't come across as rude, if I saw a man with a scarf or even belt buckle with brand logos on it, I would think he wanted people to know he had money. And really, who wants to advertise that they have money, especially when they are on the hunt for that special someone? It just seems like you might attract the wrong kind of attention - ie a woman on the hunt for a man with money.
2) I think shirt tails out can look nice (read: classy casual) as long as they are worn with a nice pair of jeans and shoes.
3) Absolutely NOT.
4) I'm very much into trends, but you really can never go wrong classic, timeless pieces. Fill the bulk of your wardrobe with these and save some room for what's trendy at the time.

Get a subscription to mens fashion magazines for inspiration. GQ for example.