Womens attitudes to designer labels & luxury goods?

Stush

Nov 20, 2006
Helloooooooooo Ladies...

im doing a study on
womens attitudes on designer labels & luxury goods, focusing on handbags.

so im thinking wat better forum to try and gain some understanding on why you ladies would spend hundreds... thousands of £'s or $'s on a handbag?!?!

why do you buy them?

...because of the way other females and/or males would percieve you?

...because a celebrity e.g. victoria beckham or sienna miller was seen wearing one in the latest issue of vogue?

is it because of your status? and that you always have to be seen presentable in such a way that is associated with designer/luxury goods?

could u actually tell the difference between a high street handbag e.g. top shop/m&s etc between a designer handbag?

wat kind of lifestyle do u have? wats your social group a,b,c,d,e etc?

theses are just sum questions.

if any of you ladies have any ideas or suggestion regarding the topic and would like to help me in understand your buying behaviour, it'd be appreciated

ciao

maz ;)

why do you buy them? I buy a bag if the color or style fills a gap in my wardrobe or the style or pattern, etc. is so unique that I know it will stand out in a crowd.

...because of the way other females and/or males would percieve you?I do like to be noticed, but not just because something was "expensive"

...because a celebrity e.g. victoria beckham or sienna miller was seen wearing one in the latest issue of vogue? Not at all, but some of those folks have some FABULOUS bags!

is it because of your status? and that you always have to be seen presentable in such a way that is associated with designer/luxury goods? I only try not to carry a bag that would make me look "cheap or trashy" or is boring or "commonplace"

could u actually tell the difference between a high street handbag e.g. top shop/m&s etc between a designer handbag? 99% of the time, yes, I can price a bag out in a heartbeat when I see it in person.

I am single, professional(though I am in a long term relationship with my BF), and a pretty active person in events, etc. I would say b or c, guessing that you mean income. I make quite a bit of money, but I am not rich. I have upper middle class friends for the most part(mainly because of where I live and what I do), but do have friends that would fall into all categories.

I blame my Mom......

The lady had great style. She was (she died 4 years ago) my style icon. She represented the word 'elegant'. She never left the house without being well put together. She never pursued 'it' fashion but was always interested in it. I am just doing what a daughter does best, copy Mom!

why do you buy them? -- To add some interest to my wardrobe. I wear mostly classic clothing. Bags are where I allow myself to be trendy.

...because of the way other females and/or males would percieve you? -- Yes, absolutely, but not just based on status. I want to be stylish -- for others AND myself.

...because a celebrity e.g. victoria beckham or sienna miller was seen wearing one in the latest issue of vogue? -- this is probably the least relevant reason.

is it because of your status? and that you always have to be seen presentable in such a way that is associated with designer/luxury goods? -- To some degree, but again, it's more about style than luxury.

could u actually tell the difference between a high street handbag e.g. top shop/m&s etc between a designer handbag? -- YES, absolutely.

wat kind of lifestyle do u have? wats your social group a,b,c,d,e etc? -- I am married, live in New York and have a professional type job. I am not among the very most rich in America (far from it), but my income and my husband's both contain six digits. Not sure what you mean with your "a, b, c, d" designations though.

Ash

Spending hundreds of dollars on (a) "purse" is a car payment to me. How about if you could buy "purse(s)"? That would make more sense to me if you could get more for your money instead of just walking out with only 1 to show for it. Its not gold. And it doesn't seem like a practical investment for me personally. Then there is the up keep, and you freaking out if someone spills something on it. To each his own. I stick to the purses that still look good and are much more sensible to my pocket book. So if its lost or stolen, I am not freaking about how much I lost in how much I really paid for it.

Either way, I love purses just like the next person, but to spend that kind of money..isn't for me.

Sunny

Oops, did not answer all your questions properly:

...because of the way other females and/or males would percieve you? No, it's always about how I feel about myself

...because a celebrity e.g. victoria beckham or sienna miller was seen wearing one in the latest issue of vogue?No, but I do like the style of some celebities more than others eg Grace Kelly, J Kennedy

is it because of your status? and that you always have to be seen presentable in such a way that is associated with designer/luxury goods?No

could u actually tell the difference between a high street handbag e.g. top shop/m&s etc between a designer handbag? Absolutely!

wat kind of lifestyle do u have? wats your social group a,b,c,d,e etc?An extremely comfortable one

thanks for the replys ladies, appreciated!

keep them comin though!!

the questions i posted werent inteneded for you to answer specifically (as this is nt a questionnaire), theyre there to try and get u to think about why u purchase. but its all good!

sorry about being vague about the a,b,c,d,e, thing.
basically that is a socio-economic segment (a generalised group by job, class, income)
The socio-economic groups A, B, C1, C2, D and E describe how much the head of the household earns.
with A being the more professional type of work e.g. doctors, lawyers etc
B being lower managerial and professional occupations etc and obviuosly E being unemployed.
dont worry to much about the detail of the socio-economic segments

anymore questions or suggestions just let me know

thanks

maz

Well, I'm not sure that my views fit in to that part of your queries at all. I have not really seen any sort of correlation between that indefinable and ephemeral quality that we call "class" and how much, if any money people have.

So though I have been guilty of using the term, I cannot really claim to believe in socio-economic groupings as such. There are haves and have-nots, in that there are people who have money and people who do not, but I have just not seen any connection between that and social skills, refinement, education, culture, or any of that stuff :P

why do you buy them?
the quality speaks for it self, i'd rather spend hundreds of $ to buy a bag that i would still wear in 10 yrs or i can sell again with good price, rather than bought a 100$ bag that i would only wear it for a year because it's broken

sometimes, it's human's nature to perceive or be perceived by people, especially i live in a big town and appearance is important.

...because a celebrity e.g. victoria beckham or sienna miller was seen wearing one in the latest issue of vogue?
HA HA HA... no way!!!

is it because of your status? and that you always have to be seen presentable in such a way that is associated with designer/luxury goods?
ok, first of all, i'm not wealthy... i just like great design and great quality bags. i'm working in creative field, i appreciated good stuffs

could u actually tell the difference between a high street handbag e.g. top shop/m&s etc between a designer handbag?
most of the time... you can see the quality difference

maybe B...
i'm 28, i rent a house with my friends. i worked as a freelancer so i'm in control of my own time, i like to hang out with my best friends for a coffee or dinner. i don't go to clubs that often anymore, i began to appreciate chatting time and sharing ideas and dreams.

Helloooooooooo Ladies...

Helloooooooooo Gentleman... :biggrin:

im doing a study on
womens attitudes on designer labels & luxury goods, focusing on handbags.

so im thinking wat better forum to try and gain some understanding on why you ladies would spend hundreds... thousands of £'s or $'s on a handbag?!?!

why do you buy them?

High design + high quality (materials and make). I see them as wearable art.

No, never.

No. I like an item and then see it on a celeb later, almost never the other way around.

No. I only carry less recognisable, subtly logoed/non logoed bags, so most people can't tell they're designer.

In the blink of an eye, LOL! :lol:

wat kind of lifestyle do u have?

At the moment, busy.

wats your social group a,b,c,d,e etc?

No idea. I'm not interested in finding out, either; I hate those categories, they're so arbitrary. My background is lower upper class, but having been to a state school, I consider myself to be fairly classless! :lol:

theses are just sum questions.

if any of you ladies have any ideas or suggestion regarding the topic and would like to help me in understand your buying behaviour, it'd be appreciated

ciao

ciao

maz ;)

The ONLY reason I buy a handbag is to please myself. I do believe, however, that high quality can be found in a bag under $200 if you do your research, and I do believe that there are some handbags out there that are not worth the money paid only because they have a designer name, which is a shame. There are also handbags out there that are very much worth every penny that you pay because they are classics. That's how I feel about it.

What is your research for? University? Marketing?

As I continue to be a shopoholic I always tend to ask myself these questions. Well I mostly try to rationalize and really think about what I buy/bought and really think if its really worth it.

So to answer some of your questions!!!

Maybe we always strive to have/get nice things and the assumption is that these designer bags are the nicest, best etc. etc......

I also like designer handbags becuase I can wear anything simple and elegent and just throw on beautiful designer purse. I instantly have the "Look" and Status.

There is only so much you can tell from clothes....their designers are not so obvious(this is less true with Jeans these days, becuase of the jeans designer label on the pockets). But the handbag says it all.....people respond differently and make assumptions about who you are.

So after buying a few designer bags I discovered that not all designer handbags are worth the money (i.e. Gucci).

I do believe in "you get what you paid for" in many cases.

I am a shopoholic/mother of 3/wife and my wardrobe is EXTREMELY important to me.

some interesting answers!
im suprised that many of you arent influeneced by celebrities/those in the public eye when it comes to purchasing your handbags.

anymore views or opinions on why u ladies spend so much money on handbags is welcome!! lol

regards

maz

p.s. my research is for my university dissertation