Women who wear designer jeans MUST be crazy....(long post)

sparklyseahorse

Tater Salad
Apr 10, 2007
...so I went into Bloomie's today in my beloved Levi's and had to try some of these "designer" jeans on. I remember how much I loved my forest green Marithe+Girbaud I had personally tailored back in the day (ok, so I'm dating myself), so I thought I'd give it a shot.
I walked around, looking for ones that were simple and not flashy. I came across a pair of petite "Lita" dark wash that struck me, not worn-in boot cuts by Citizens of Humanity. I admit, at my "advanced" age, I laughed at the brand's name, but I had heard so many on this evil TPF site who liked them.
Not being familiar with the sizes, I took a couple of pair in with me to try on. I looked in the mirror at the fit of my Levi's as a confirmation that these ridiculously overpriced jeans could not possibly match the staple, even though I noticed that the rear in my Levi's was a bit baggy, and the length was a bit too short.
I tried on the Citizens' jeans and couldn't believe it. My rear looked better in the mirror, my thighs looked slimmer, and the length was perfect for my platform sandals, without any need for hemming. I tried on the next larger pair, thinking, "these will shrink in the wash", only to find those fit better than the Levi's too, but were a touch loose.
I put my Levi's back on, noticing how frumpy my rear was, and how they looked more like "Mom Jeans", even when I was perfectly content with them before I had walked into the 2nd floor dressing room.
I proceeded to the SA to ask how these jeans were supposed to fit. She instructed me to get the smaller size, since she had these jeans and they fit "like Sevens". I didn't find a pair of Seven of for Mankind that I preferred, so I trusted what she said. I hesitantly paid for these jeans-more than double what I had paid 15 years ago for the Marithe+Girbaud's- but she reminded me that I could always bring them back if they didn't work out, but, in her words, "we NEVER see returns on these....".
I came home, had dinner, and tried my new jeans on again, thinking that the store lighting had obsfucated my reasoning as well as my tummy, only to find that these looked as good as in the store!
I guess I've just joined the "designer jeans" cult....I must be crazy.

Good to know!! I'm staying away from even trying those on LOL. At least until I get a new job!! I'm glad they fit you perfectly, though. We are always on the quest for the perfect-fit jeans.

I'm really glad they worked out!!! That's a great story. I felt like that too, the first time I tried on a pair of Citizens of Humanity jeans. It was so...perfect. I was like, "Where have you been all my life?!"

"Waiting for you..."

I wore Girbauds too. I didn't have forest green ones but I made sure that I wore mine with similarly jewel-toned baggy rayon tops! (Janet Jackson Rhythm Nation, anyone?) If you had Girbauds, you must have worn Z. Cavaricci's too. I know I did. :rolleyes: U-Men watch as well? :smile:

But yeah, today's designer jeans are, 9 times out of 10, totally worth their price tag!

wow, do you gals dry clean your designer jeans?

I have only Levis =( and recently just bought a pair of Sarah Jessica Parker (I am so hooked onto her, I think!) LOL

DEFINITELY not! They are just denim! Majority of jeans are 98% cotton, 2% spandex.

The quintessential washing procedure would be to wash on cold water, turning the jeans inside out. When they are done, either tumble dry low or hang to dry. You can also lay them flat or hang them over a chair or something to dry.

You can also put them in a delicate cycle if you are worried about a specific pair. It's the same wash cycle, you just don't have them do that crazy spin cycle as much. It's much gentler on clothing. You should only use the higher settings for things like bath towels that you don't mind getting tumbled up a bit.