"Women should save more, spend less on designer shoes" - article

ZombieCandi

Jul 26, 2009
Hey ladies :smile: I came across this article while surfing the net during lunch and had me pondering a little. We ALL love our designer shoes--there's that magic about them, that beauty that attracts us to them. We instantly feel different---powerful even to slip into these shoes. On the other side, they are quite expensive and many of us budget wisely in order to afford them. If I love something, then I save for it and not ruin myself financially.

In a way, the article annoyed me because the writer generalizes women like us to be foolish. Comments to the article are from people who say that "women like that" suffer from low self esteem and need to buy instant success or sexiness.

What do you guys think?

http://moneyning.com/life-style/women-should-save-more-spend-less-on-designer-shoes/

You know it's funny, I was just having this conversation with my coworker while I was helping her pick out a WOC at the Chanel boutique. We were saying how guilty our purchases make us, especially because we're young. I save and spend my money wisely-I have my budget each month for shopping and I stick to that. Sure, there have been a couple of months (especially around sale time or when I started a new job) when I bought a few new pairs of shoes, but I cut back my spending the next month to balance it out-and I never buy anything I don't have money in the bank for.

That article is a complete generalization-because there ARE women out there like that, but the majority of us aren't. And I hate the guilt I get from my friends and other people in my life, like I have to lie about how much I spend because they think it's foolish even though I can afford it. I don't buy to look successful-I'd rather buy 2 pairs of expensive, good quality shoes that will last me for years than 8 cheap pairs that will hurt my feet and last a season.

I definitely agree that some people (male and female and of all ages) spend beyond their means.. which had a part in the current financial crisis.

If you can easily pay all your bills each month, do not carry credit card debt, allocate a reasonable portion of your income for emergency fund, retirement, savings, etc.. then why not? The occasional indulgence makes life more fun :smile:

Except the article only generalizes about women who buy these things and cannot actually afford them. Let's face it, for many years America has been all about consumption - savings be damned. But savings are very important and I believe that nest eggs should be funded before designer purchases. What many people tend to call "disposable income" is actually anything that's left over after paying rent and food and transportation, but it shouldn't be viewed that way. A certain percentage should go into savings with every check.

But if a person has three month's salary put away and funds a retirement plan, then money after those necessities are taken care of is free game. Everyone deserves something nice once in a while. But the idea of spending freely while being one paycheck away from financial ruin (which is how many people define being "debt-free") and having no savings is foolish.

This article doesn't speak about people who are wise with their money, so it shouldn't make anyone feel guilty unless they have something to feel guilty about.

I think it's insulting to generalize. Those of us who indulge wisely shouldn't be lumped in with those who don't. I get extra annoyed when women are usually the ones being chastised while the men out there who waste their cash on gadgets, cars, whatever go largely uncounted except in a general sense.

The article itself didn't bother me that much. There are lots of women out there in wealthier countries from middle class families who live rent free at home for a longer period of time, and spend their disposable income on fashion, gourmet food, and vacations. I don't know if it's really a new thing; my mother loves to 'justify' purchases to nosy relatives by regaling us all with tales about her trips to Glasgow with an empty suitcase, and returning back with ridiculous amounts of stuff from Biba, House of Fraser, & Selfridge's when she was single.

my At the same token - I do think with the internet and how celebrity gossip dominates pop culture, the desire to live like the Jones' is that much worse. Instead of a woman just comparing herself to a neighbour, or getting inspiration from someone in a similar social circle, you now have women (and perhaps men) looking to candid outings of Nicole Richie et al. who can afford high-end stuff for every outing imaginable. I don't think materialism has really nessecarily increased; maybe just what women are willing to spend has.

However, some of the comments really got my gears a grindin':

Women who are self-assured and comfortable with who they are internally do not have to bother with the artificial trappings outside. We are comfortable in our lower cost clothing, hairdos, less make up, etc.

I wear a full-face of makeup for dancing, casual dates, dinners, etc. I enjoy makeup, but I also don't make a habit of berating or complaining about my looks either. I certainly look better with makeup, but I can go out without it as well. However, I genuinely ENJOY putting on the slap - and if it were just about impressing men and getting appreciated for my sexuality, I'd be wearing the Kim K. look every damn day.

I think it is avocotive of fashion and human behaviour in general. We want to look good, and if that means buying what we want and spending more than what we would like on that item we do so.

As HauteMama said, its about budgeting, and evening things out. Ive always been tought from an early age, be wise with money, and a child hood where there wasnt much arround has tought me the power of money.

When it comes to buying a certain large price tag item of fashion, i research it a little first, then buy it or leave it.

However, it does not help having an expensive intrest or intrests as well. So a ballance needs to be came to. Pay the bill and feed myselfs, then spend on one thing one month with the rest. However having a pay thats every 4 weeks does help with this as well, means you can budget for 4 weeks at a time ant not have to worry about the couple of months of the year its something like 5 weeks you have to budget for.

I didn't think there was anything offensive about it because the writer was just trying to warn women to not over spend. I do think the writer really needed to flesh out that article because it was pretty generic. However, I found many of the comments below to be sexist and offensive.

But to answer the OP's question, I've noticed that the majority of my friends over indulge. I understand where they're coming from because in this depression, rock bottom prices for luxury getaways and amazing sales on designer goods are extremely hard to pass up. I don't always approve, but they have to personally learn how to balance between fun and saving.

You know honestly I see some extreme spending given the incomes of women, especially by young women still in school, on designer goods. I'm just more financially conservative so it seems excessive to me. There is a celebrity culture and alot of it did seem to have come from of have been expressed by Sex and the City. If you have Carrie's shoes you damn sure should have a couple of hundred thousand also in the bank.

On the other hand I know many women who are in their 40s, 50s, and 60s who dress terribly and could really use a wardrobe intervention. I don't get that either since all of those women make in the six figures and have for years, if not decades. And let's face it I love my designer goodies & jewelry just like most of the women on here!

You know honestly I see some extreme spending given the incomes of women, especially by young women still in school, on designer goods. I'm just more financially conservative so it seems excessive to me. There is a celebrity culture and alot of it did seem to have come from of have been expressed by Sex and the City. If you have Carrie's shoes you damn sure should have a couple of hundred thousand also in the bank.

On the other hand I know many women who are in their 40s, 50s, and 60s who dress terribly and could really use a wardrobe intervention. I don't get that either since all of those women make in the six figures and have for years, if not decades. And let's face it I love my designer goodies & jewelry just like most of the women on here!

I think a lot of young women these days rely on rich men to buy them stuff... Obviously not myself, but I've seen quite a few... So most women in this category don't necessarily need to have a big bank account to have luxury items. I'd say at least 50% (maybe even 70-80%) of women who own designer goods are part of this population...