Women in finance

I work in Boston which is very conservative and my clients are even more old-school and conservative. I prefer basic, tailored pieces from places like Theory coupled with simple silk blouses and heels no higher than 3.5 inches. Sounds terribly boring, I know ... but I would rather look polished and professional than stand out as fashionable, or even worse - sexy. Since it's really easy to look like a frump when being conservative, I try to shop in the contemporary department for cleaner-cut, "younger" looking coordinates.

Since my clients are so conservative, I never wear open toe shoes or go sans-pantyhose during meetings, but whatever floats your client's boat, I guess.

I've posted this before but this is one of my favorite basic skirt suits (a black/white tweed suit from Theory) with a black silk blouse.

PS - totally agree with Vintage Leather about the nails. I keep mine short and manicured in a neutral color like Essie Pound Cake or Hard to Get.

Hear, hear.
I feel ye being conservative in dressing and not being fashionable/sexy (baaad). Think government / political dress code as well.

Armani and believe it or not United Colors of Benetton also do carry some really nice pieces where a lot of DC wives of politics shops as well.

The more boring the suit, the better one fit in.
My favourite suit color has always been grey... love yours BTW.

-----------------------------------------

P.S. Think FED & Government for mine & what you get is a week long free vacation this "SnowOMG". ;)

Last edited:
For those of you who don't feel the need to dress down, do you find that there are certain people within the investment bank that discourages this? i.e. more senior women?

I've never found this to be the case. I've enjoyed several conversations with female senior bankers, including MDs, about the best places to buy Christian Louboutins or the latest Hermès colours.

When I was a summer analyst, there was a female associate who would always chat with me about handbags and I would help her decide what to buy next while we were waiting for books to print! :biggrin:

In regards to what lolitakali said, do you think one's dress changes as one climbs up the ladder and becomes more senior? Do analysts get away with more leeway, or more senior women?

Yes, my dress has definitely changed as I moved up the ladder. While women at all levels enjoy plenty of leeway, there's more of a personal shift in one's own tastes as one gets older, I feel.

Analysts have more leeway on the "casual" end of the spectrum. People understand that analysts work A LOT; after back to back all-nighters, nobody expects you to be brightly scrubbed and pressed by Day 3, KWIM? When I was an analyst, I actually spent a lot of time dashing about the office in flip-flops; of course, I always had a pair of pumps under my desk which I would slip on before going into one of the senior bankers' offices! I also wore a lot more knit tops & sweaters during my analyst years.

After I got promoted, I started dressing more formally; I still pushed the limits, but just in a different direction. For example, with footwear: the flip-flops were retired and 120mm Louboutins became my new office-standard footwear instead. This was also when I stopped wearing slacks in favour of skirts & dresses exclusively (I did not, do not, and will not ever wear pantyhose on a daily basis, although I'm not opposed to sheer black stockings when the outfit is crying for them!).

At the end of the day, what really matters is the quality of your work product and how you rank out in roundtables at the end of the year. When you work 80-100 hours a week, there's nowhere to hide. People will hold onto an outstanding team member for dear life, regardless of the colour of her shoe soles :yes:

Also, sorry for so many questions, what time of bank do you guys work (bulge bracket vs. boutique)?

bulge bracket

And what line of business are you in (for those who haven't specified)?

Investment Banking Division (M&A/financial advisory, public & private capital-raising services)

For those of you who don't feel the need to dress down, do you find that there are certain people within the investment bank that discourages this? i.e. more senior women?
Similar to what Piggy said. To my surprise most senior women actually respect junior women who dresses well (well not slutty). There was this particular female partner who later on left the firm has made comments to other slightly senior female analysts that they should dress better and used me as an example (harsh and rude? yes i know, i wasn't present but heard it from another MD) She was a part of those ladies who lunch and judgemental person too, so you would think that she could at the other end of the spectrum (dislike girls who are too fashionable etc.)

Although there was this other female senior person who was casual fashionable herself but wore like khakis and converse to work. and because the head of the group (who was in the retail industry sector) loves to talk to us (the junior fashionable girls) about clothes and shoes. She definitely gets really jealous and annoyed whenever he would talk to us.

In regards to what lolitakali said, do you think one's dress changes as one climbs up the ladder and becomes more senior? Do analysts get away with more leeway, or more senior women?

agree with piggy. I started wearing a lot of pencil skirt and structured dresses after being promoted. Pumps more than flats. Added brooch and scarves to the wardrobe and definitely jackets over cardis and pearls! pearls pearls pearls.

Also, sorry for so many questions, what time of bank do you guys work (bulge bracket vs. boutique)? And what line of business are you in (for those who haven't specified)?

Interned at Buldge bracket. Moved to private boutique later. Investment banking M&A and now in Restructuring.

Since it's been a while since I've worked finance/investments (througout my twenties) I don't have pictures to post here. However, I agree with all the input from laurayuki, lvpiggy and PetiteAsianGirl (who all rock their office attire, BTW). I worked for a couple of very conservative banking and investment firms for 10-11 years. Quite a male-dominated field. I was always the youngest banker in the office and always tried to look my best. Dress suits and Pant suits, especially when meeting with clients or at corporate functions. How I tried to differentiate (or maybe personalize) my look was to add color. You can look good in a conservative environment without being provocative.

Did my colleagues respect me? Eventually. Besides the person who hired you, everyone else's first impression of you is based largely on your outward appearance. I will admit that in the three offices I worked, I was initially discounted for my youth and appearance. No matter, in a short period of time, I was able to show them that I was there to work just as hard as they do. LVPiggy was spot on when she said, "when you work as many hours as bankers do, it's not possible to coast on the strength of good looks alone". For me, the turning point was when my bosses started receiving feedback from my much older, very wealthy clients. Eventually, I earned everyone's respect.

Like everyone here, I never dressed down. Men are super critical! When I befriended my male colleagues, I became privy to their criticism of other women who they thought were not up to par in their outward appearance. I preferred to look my best and hopefully be appreciated for what I had between my ears. I could never afford luxury brands at the time and being a banker I was always afraid of debt so I bought the best quality suits and separates I could afford. This meant going to J Crew and at Off 5th.

I probably didn't directly answer your questions but I wanted to chime in because this brought back some memories. Overall, you can definitely be professionally attired without having to sacrifice your femininity.

Much luck on your paper!

I work in Boston which is very conservative and my clients are even more old-school and conservative. I prefer basic, tailored pieces from places like Theory coupled with simple silk blouses and heels no higher than 3.5 inches. Sounds terribly boring, I know ... but I would rather look polished and professional than stand out as fashionable, or even worse - sexy. Since it's really easy to look like a frump when being conservative, I try to shop in the contemporary department for cleaner-cut, "younger" looking coordinates.

Since my clients are so conservative, I never wear open toe shoes or go sans-pantyhose during meetings, but whatever floats your client's boat, I guess.

I've posted this before but this is one of my favorite basic skirt suits (a black/white tweed suit from Theory) with a black silk blouse.

PS - totally agree with Vintage Leather about the nails. I keep mine short and manicured in a neutral color like Essie Pound Cake or Hard to Get.

Thanks for your input, btw.

Last edited:
I used to work in finance (until one year ago), but I'm in Europe, so maybe that's different, most days I used to wear a dressy skirt (not short!), a dressy top (no cleavage!) with a dressy jacket (didn't have to be an "ensemble") with pumps or smart flats (like Tods).
Never anything too revealing, too short, never open toe shoes, never shoulders naked.
Lvpiggy looks great, but I guess we were more of a conservative group.

Bag is a big tote bag with lots of room for a LOT of paperwork, which you need to have at your fingertips at almost all times!
I switch between a black Ferragamo patent bag, a navy canvas Lady Dior, and carmel leather 1970s Cashin Slim-line Tote. About 70% of the time, I'm carrying the Ferragamo.
I also always have a small bag inside my tote. I can lock my briefcase in my desk, and grab the small bag for luncheon engagements with my bosses.

Bag is a big tote bag with lots of room for a LOT of paperwork, which you need to have at your fingertips at almost all times!
I switch between a black Ferragamo patent bag, a navy canvas Lady Dior, and carmel leather 1970s Cashin Slim-line Tote. About 70% of the time, I'm carrying the Ferragamo.
I also always have a small bag inside my tote. I can lock my briefcase in my desk, and grab the small bag for luncheon engagements with my bosses.

i *love* ferragamo for work and travel! they're practically indestructible, and always very classic in an understated, under the radar kind of way (^(oo)^)

piggy does the small-bag-in-big-bag thing too! struggling to wrestle a heavy bag into someplace inconspicuous at a nice restaurant is not on piggy's list of enjoyable activities b(^(oo)^)d

I also work in boston, ma. I've noticed the dressing style here range from super casual (sneakers) to all-out professional.
Personally, i just want to look as professional as possible without drawing too much negative attention.
-So i stick mainly to the basics. Mostly neutral colors, black, gray, white, non-flashy blouses. Dark or gray color skirts, dark or gray color pants.
-black shoes, sandals are ok for the summer. nothing over 4 inches.
-never too much makeup, keep hairstyle simple
-never wear crazy nail polish colors( ie neon yellow)
- no crazy/too flashy accessories
- never too much skin (ie too low cut shirts, too short skirts)

1. Do you find that sometimes you must dress down your best assets for work?

not really. i try to go for the happy medium, which is nicely tailored. that way i'm not enhancing or hiding anything.

2. Do you find that other women judge you when you are dressed too pretty? And men don't take you seriously?

if people are gossip that you are dressing "too pretty", that means you are looking too unprofessional (not good).
I see it this way, i am dressing for work only, to be respected, to be recognized for my work results, and not for making a fashion statement.

Also, men in the office will not take a woman seriously if she is wearing too low cut of a shirt, too short of skirt, too high of heels...goes back to it's work not a runway show. the men are there to work..not pick up girls..

the key words are "keep it minimum". there is always the weekends to show off crazy fashion styles.

Last edited:
^ lordy this is an old thread.
I wear 4 5 inch heels and am fashionable and still got promoted (during the financial crisis) as well as ranked the top of my class every year. I don't agree with the "fashionable" girls are not taken seriously statement, it is precisely this kind of "rule" that restricts women from expressing themselves freely in the work place.

Not everyone cares about fashion, but for those of us who do and also works 80-100 hours a week (including weekends) it is not something one should give up. The girls at where I use to work had so much more fun at work dressing what they like. Trust me after 4 years of working on wall street, men apprciate well dressed women and men. Someone who standout in terms of skills and personality always succeed, this can be shown through personal appearance too. In a client facing service industry, appearance is everything from yourself to the workproduct. If everybody is like one of the usual suits on the street, you won't be remembered. Even for guys, an armani suit is just worlds of difference from a BR or Zegna.

Fashionable does not equal showy or slutty, it's knowing your body and what you look best in. always put your best foot forward and use your individuality to differentiate yourself at the workplace.

I'm a VP for a quasi-government investment company in the Middle East.

What do you think is considered work-appropriate?
My uniform is knee-length skirts, blouses, and the occasional cardigan. Always high heels. Always accessorized. I only bust out the suits for big presentations and/or client-facing. And I rarely wear trousers.

Do you find that sometimes you must dress down your best assets for work?
Not really. Though I would never show cleavage, I don't think it's professional and, well, I'm in the Middle East. :P

Do you find that other women judge you when you are dressed too pretty? And men don't take you seriously?
No, I feel I fall between the two classes of women in my company. One set are the 40-50 something high powered career women and they have their own uniforms, so I doubt they're comparing to me. And the rest just dress horribly. As in, shiny satin blouses, white tapered jeans, flat sandals, crochet tops, etc. I'm not as boring as the first group, and I'm definitely ahead of the second. So I don't feel I'm judged by my wardrobe. And men don't take you seriously until you prove yourself, which I feel I have so I no longer worry about them.

Do you think one's dress changes as one climbs up the ladder and becomes more senior? Do analysts get away with more leeway, or more senior women?
I'd hope it changes as one gets higher. Swap out the Banana Republic pants and Zara sweaters for something a bit more pulled together. My previous job was for a laid back company in California (not finance related) and the uniform was jeans. So this is my first experience with power-dressing.

And what line of business are you in (for those who haven't specified)?
I'm at the Corporate level. Not in a particular field (ie, not IB, Asset Managment, etc.)