With price increases/quality issues are you more tempted by other brands?

Onebagtoomany

O.G.
Apr 16, 2011
Just curious. I ventured into the world of Mulberry just over two years ago and have owned quite a few now between my current bag collection and others that have been moved on to make way for new purchases, plus quite a few accessories. I still love the brand's designs but am feeling increasingly resentful about paying their ridiculous prices - soon, with the impending price increase, I shall be priced out of buying Mulberry completely for brand-new purchases and will only be able to buy preloved.

I am now finding myself looking more and more at makes that I wouldn't previously have considered, like LV. I bought a Speedy 30 last week in the damier print for £450 and am so impressed with the quality of the stitching, finishing etc. I know it isn't leather and that would previously have put me off, but even the smaller leather shoulder bags in the Mulberry range like Lily are just under £500. Buying Mulberry was always a luxury for me so it seems silly to talk about 'value for money' but I no longer feel that buying it represents the best that I can get for the money I am prepared to spend. I have never been a one brand sort of person and have bags by a few different makes in my collection, but previously 9 times out of 10 I would have chosen Mulberry as I just love the styles... still love the styles and aesthetic but not so much the price or clear decreases in quality :tdown::nogood:

Does anyone else feel like this? Are you still feeling the same love as before? Do you feel more inclined to look at other makes?

Last edited:
I definitely feel the same as you. I went the other way to you and started looking Mulberry after Louis Vuitton. I started looking at Mulberry as I wanted a leather bag and I love their classy and timeless designs but I think that the price hikes are ridiculous. I understand that it is a luxury brand so obviously it isn't going to be cheap, but I can't see much justification for such huge increases. I resent it now and I know that I won't be buying any more. I bought a Lily yesterday with a 20% off voucher from Matches as I wanted one last bag before the price increase but that's it for me now.

I'll just have to live vicariously through all of the other ladies on here and enjoy their purchases!:graucho:

Yes the price increase will put me off buying Mulberry. But then I am also unlikely to buy other brands as their leather items are even more expensive.
I do love LV's canvas items but I just can't spend big money on canvas and LV's leather pieces are very pricey too. I own an epi alma which cost me >£900 new.
So Mulberry is still a little cheaper than the others.

So whereas I have spent lots with Mulberry now I will spend much much less or if I am paying the same price as other designers I may end up considering those with better resale/more prestige.

Overall I think luxury fashion houses have just gone past silly in this economic climate. Maybe if enough of us stop buying and their profit margins suffer a bit they will reconsider these ridiculous price hikes!

But I still want that medium lily with nickel hardware........
Just curious. I ventured into the world of Mulberry just over two years ago and have owned quite a few now between my current bag collection and others that have been moved on to make way for new purchases, plus quite a few accessories. I still love the brand's designs but am feeling increasingly resentful about paying their ridiculous prices - soon, with the impending price increase, I shall be priced out of buying Mulberry completely for brand-new purchases and will only be able to buy preloved.

I am now finding myself looking more and more at makes that I wouldn't previously have considered, like LV. I bought a Speedy 30 last week in the damier print for £450 and am so impressed with the quality of the stitching, finishing etc. I know it isn't leather and that would previously have put me off, but even the smaller leather shoulder bags in the Mulberry range like Lily are just under £500. Buying Mulberry was always a luxury for me so it seems silly to talk about 'value for money' but I no longer feel that buying it represents the best that I can get for the money I am prepared to spend. I have never been a one brand sort of person and have bags by a few different makes in my collection, but previously 9 times out of 10 I would have chosen Mulberry as I just love the styles... still love the styles and aesthetic but not so much the price or clear decreases in quality :tdown::nogood:

Does anyone else feel like this? Are you still feeling the same love as before? Do you feel more inclined to look at other makes?

I'm priced out now. The prices are rediculous. My last purchase was the bayswater tote for £650 and that's as far as I'm going ( was a B'day pressie) but to be honest the newer designs and leathers aren't really doing much for me anyway. Have decided to use the bags I already own and spend my money on school fees for the kids instead!!! Bye bye Mulberry!

I don't think I will be tempted by another brand. Most of the bags I have brought have been eBay buys, sale time or presents from hubby. So despite the rise in prices I think like with my last buy a chocolate bays I will only buy items that are new or vgc if the price is what I am prepared to pay. To be honest I think I have the bags I want now so will be looking mainly at acessories.

I'm losing my love for Mulberry because of the prices... wanted to get something in petrol so today purchased this little gem instead:

http://www.theoutnet.com/product/340439

It's my first foray into Alexandar Wang, but I've heard great things about the leather, and couldn't resist this beauty at this price. Fingers crossed the colour is similar to Mulberry's Petrol, because I haven't seen it in real life.

If the above link doesn't work, here are pictures of the bag from another website:

http://www.forwardbyelysewalker.com/fw/DisplayProduct.jsp?code=AWAN-WY150&d=Womens

Last edited:
Nope. I started loving Mulberry almost 20 years ago, and I'm still in love. The prices are crazy, but... When I bought my first Mulberry, I had saved up for almost a year. I can do that again if I have to.

I'm not one to buy often. I only buy when I'm absolutely certain that it's true love, and I'll just keep it that way.

No. There is no other brand like Mulberry. What other brand hand cuts snake scales into leather or makes an iridescent finish?! The colours are unique, the leather is unique and the styles are unique. Other brands are fine but they are too boring for my taste. Yes, the prices are high, so I'll buy fewer bags. At least I'll have more wardrobe space :smile:

I'm priced out now. The prices are rediculous. My last purchase was the bayswater tote for £650 and that's as far as I'm going ( was a B'day pressie) but to be honest the newer designs and leathers aren't really doing much for me anyway. Have decided to use the bags I already own and spend my money on school fees for the kids instead!!! Bye bye Mulberry!

Yep I'm priced out too, but I don't think that much of new designs either. As a student I'm looking to invest my money in pieces other than bags that are classic stuff.

OBTM - well said! - agree with much of what you say.....but foremostly being a fan of the older/vintage side of Mulberry, the current furore over price hikes/quality issues doesn't really affect me directly. That said, I so get what you are saying and really feel that the sort of prices Mulberry are now charging for their new bags are quite frankly ridiculous and unacceptable....they are expensive enough already,and, short of encrusting the bags with gold leaf and gemstones, I find the price increases completely unjustifiable.

With all this in mind, I am not brand loyal, and, as far as new bag purchases are concerned, I have a selection of "lower end" armcandy (still costing several hundred pounds each, so all relative really!!) which I use on a regular basis as it is durable, invariably doesn't require the "babying" that some of the Mulberry leathers require, and it is actually more practical and easier to carry to boot! - I shall omit to mention the brands concerned for fear of being somewhat of a Judas, but you get my drift lol!.....and I am sure I am not alone...:biggrin:;):graucho:

I don't think I will be tempted by another brand. Most of the bags I have brought have been eBay buys, sale time or presents from hubby. So despite the rise in prices I think like with my last buy a chocolate bays I will only buy items that are new or vgc if the price is what I am prepared to pay. To be honest I think I have the bags I want now so will be looking mainly at acessories.

I forgot to say in my original post that I have never bought a full price Mulberry with the exception of my first one which was an oak Somerset hobo! All the others have been sale purchases so at least 30-40% off, or preloved. However, I can't even see being able to afford much from the sales soon as with the impending price hikes the sales won't mean as much of a discount as before.

I definitely feel the same as you. I went the other way to you and started looking Mulberry after Louis Vuitton. I started looking at Mulberry as I wanted a leather bag and I love their classy and timeless designs but I think that the price hikes are ridiculous. I understand that it is a luxury brand so obviously it isn't going to be cheap, but I can't see much justification for such huge increases. I resent it now and I know that I won't be buying any more. I bought a Lily yesterday with a 20% off voucher from Matches as I wanted one last bag before the price increase but that's it for me now.

I'll just have to live vicariously through all of the other ladies on here and enjoy their purchases!:graucho:

Oooh 20% off is a good discount though - I wonder who Matches sent the discount code to then as I shop with them quite a lot and have had sale preview discounts etc before.. never mind, probably just as well! Which Lily did you get? :graucho:

I agree about LV's canvas - what I paid for the Speedy is as much as I am prepared to spend for a non-leather bag and even then I feel a bit guilty, but I really do love it and it will be my all-weather bag which doesn't need to be babied :smile:

I remember seeing photos of your gorgeous Alma on the non-Mulberry purchases thread, sooo pretty!

I guess because I tend to buy a lot of preloved Mulberry (out of my current bag collection only my oak Bays and pebbled beige Bella were bought new and the Bella was bought on sale) the quality issues etc are making me think that if I am going to spend £400-£500 on a preloved Mulberry then I may as well buy a preloved Chloe for the same price or just slightly more.. I bought my vermillion red Marcie recently preloved but looking like new and the quality is unreal compared to Mulberry. This has definitely made me think I might be better off either sticking to older Mulberry styles which still have the lush leather that made me fall in love with the brand in the first place and if I want to buy new/on sale stick to brands such as Chloe pr LV which seem to have less quality issues...

Yes the price increase will put me off buying Mulberry. But then I am also unlikely to buy other brands as their leather items are even more expensive.
I do love LV's canvas items but I just can't spend big money on canvas and LV's leather pieces are very pricey too. I own an epi alma which cost me >£900 new.
So Mulberry is still a little cheaper than the others.

So whereas I have spent lots with Mulberry now I will spend much much less or if I am paying the same price as other designers I may end up considering those with better resale/more prestige.

Overall I think luxury fashion houses have just gone past silly in this economic climate. Maybe if enough of us stop buying and their profit margins suffer a bit they will reconsider these ridiculous price hikes!

But I still want that medium lily with nickel hardware........

They really are, aren't they - over £700 for the regular Bays is just crazy. Your Bays tote sounds gorgeous though and at least the styling is more classic Mulberry. I like your comment about using the bags you already own too, I should also shop from my own closet more often instead of harking after new bags all the time!

I'm losing my love for Mulberry because of the prices... wanted to get something in petrol so today purchased this little gem instead:

http://www.theoutnet.com/product/340439

It's my first foray into Alexandar Wang, but I've heard great things about the leather, and couldn't resist this beauty at this price. Fingers crossed the colour is similar to Mulberry's Petrol, because I haven't seen it in real life.

If the above link doesn't work, here are pictures of the bag from another website:

http://www.forwardbyelysewalker.com/fw/DisplayProduct.jsp?code=AWAN-WY150&d=Womens

That's lovely :smile: I've heard really good things about Alexander Wang and theoutnet is great - you can alwas return it if it doesn't turn out to be the colour you want.

Nope. I started loving Mulberry almost 20 years ago, and I'm still in love. The prices are crazy, but... When I bought my first Mulberry, I had saved up for almost a year. I can do that again if I have to.

I'm not one to buy often. I only buy when I'm absolutely certain that it's true love, and I'll just keep it that way.

That's better as you avoid a lot of costly mistakes that way - I should learn to do that instead of buying on impulse and then regretting it later! I'm still in love with some Mulberry designs and don't have a problem saving for something I really want, but it is the quality combined with the price increase that puts me off. If the quality was maintained I wouldn't mind but I really resent paying (in theory) £700+ for a bag which has peeling scales, chipped locks etc within a few days of purchase. I think if Mulberry want to charge these extortionnate prices they should focus more on improving the quality that should be synonymous with the expensive and prestigious brand that they are aspiring to be...

No. There is no other brand like Mulberry. What other brand hand cuts snake scales into leather or makes an iridescent finish?! The colours are unique, the leather is unique and the styles are unique. Other brands are fine but they are too boring for my taste. Yes, the prices are high, so I'll buy fewer bags. At least I'll have more wardrobe space :smile:

I agree in terms of design and that is why I fell for the brand in the first place... if they sorted out their pricing and quality issues I would still be a loyal fan..

Yep I'm priced out too, but I don't think that much of new designs either. As a student I'm looking to invest my money in pieces other than bags that are classic stuff.

Agree - I am currently trying to build a fine jewellery collection and have really cut back my bag buying in the last year to do this, plus have sold off about a third of my old collection. There was a time when I used to buy a bag or two a month (especially after joining TPF!) which was ridiculous, but I now try and buy fine jewellery if I have spare funds as I consider it a much better investment longer-term.

OBTM - well said! - agree with much of what you say.....but foremostly being a fan of the older/vintage side of Mulberry, the current furore over price hikes/quality issues doesn't really affect me directly. That said, I so get what you are saying and really feel that the sort of prices Mulberry are now charging for their new bags are quite frankly ridiculous and unacceptable....they are expensive enough already,and, short of encrusting the bags with gold leaf and gemstones, I find the price increases completely unjustifiable.

With all this in mind, I am not brand loyal, and, as far as new bag purchases are concerned, I have a selection of "lower end" armcandy (still costing several hundred pounds each, so all relative really!!) which I use on a regular basis as it is durable, invariably doesn't require the "babying" that some of the Mulberry leathers require, and it is actually more practical and easier to carry to boot! - I shall omit to mention the brands concerned for fear of being somewhat of a Judas, but you get my drift lol!.....and I am sure I am not alone...:biggrin:;):graucho:

:roflmfao: I think they should be encrusting the bags with diamonds to justify some of the current prices!

You are definitely not alone, I have a few Jaeger bags in my bag collection and the quality is lovely - plus no Collonil or any other type of prep necessary to wear them - just lovely soft leather which wears well!