Wire transfers for ebay purchases

Embratt

O.G.
May 26, 2008
Hi
I recently sold an item on eBay to an international buyer that has a US Aramex address. I did not know she was an international buyer because eBay lists her as a US buyer. She tried to pay via PayPal but was not able to. PayPal said that since her credit card is international and her mailing address (the aramex address) is a US address, it was a security risk and therefore blocked her from using her credit card.

The buyer suggested paying via wire transfer. Is there any risk with that method of payment? I just don't know about giving someone my account information. Are there any other payment options such as a Western Union?

Need some guidance here. TIA

All risk is on her side with the wire transfer.

As far as Western Union, this is an option only if there is an accessible Western Union office near where she lives. Her country may have none at all or something like just one somewhere inconvenient. You may suggest it though.

p-WA

I had the same question about a wire transfer since they ask you for your name, address, and account number...there is no possible chance for fraud?

Well, there is always a chance for fraud :smile:

However...

The very same information (acct. #, name and address) is printed on all your personal checks for everyone to see. So the chance of fraud is generally speaking no higher than what you get when you pay by check.

p-WA

i've been paid by international buyers via wire transfer before. the risk is entirely on the buyer's side... but it's great for the seller. however, depending on which bank you have, they will take a $10-$25 handling fee.