Winterproof oak bag?

Our PurseForum community is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker. Thank you!
  1. Is there such a thing as a winter/waterproof oak day bag? I have loved using my oak bays over the last few months but on these damp mornings I won't risk it. Does anyone have a suggestion for an oak bag that would stand up to our lovely winter weather as I am going to miss the colour? It goes so well with my wardrobe.

2. Hi,
    I have the oak patent alexa, not everyone likes it but i think it's great, the rain just runs off it! There are some on eBay occasionally and not sure if outlets still have them. Hope that helps.

3. If Mulberry introduce a pre-treated oak leather which can stand up to all the elements I think we shall all be clamouring for it lol!.....oak is just so beautiful isn't it, and so versatile, but definitely not from a "bombproof" aspect......I just collonil mine to death and hope for the best....but I definitely wouldn't take any of mine out in the rain, and I always have a spare placcy bag to contain her lest the need arise and we get caught out!!.....

Lets just hope for a nice dry winter....:biggrin::graucho:

4. Daria?

5. A daria would be fine. Or a Somerset. Or if you can get a mitzy these are bombproof.

6. I think Mitzy is the most resilient in bad weather. I used to have two (oak and black) and didn't worry when I used them in bad weather at all. I currently have an oak Daria satchel but I wouldn't say it is a worryfree bag.. I have been caught in the rain with it and it got lots of rainspots/marks which nearly gave me a heart attack, although luckily they disappeared after my not touching them (just letting it dry naturally) and the bag now looks completely normal. That is after using liberal amounts of Collonil on it as well beforehand. My vote would be for a Mitzy and they are currently £395 in the outlets in the oak!

7. I must be one of the few who doesn't like the Mitzy, I have issues with ruching/gathering. I was expecting the Daria to be suggested but it seems that may not be ideal either which is a shame. I'm assuming anything a bit shiny will have more of a roll off effect for water. I bet the patent alexa is great but I've never seen one in person.

8. The Somerset might be another option like BeccaMulberry suggested - my first Mulberry bag was an oak Somerset hobo (the predecessor to the current shoulder bag) and from what I remember it did quite well in the rain :smile:

9. My oak mitzy messenger (in pebbled oak leather) is winterproof. No problem with rain marks etc. it's the NVT or darwin leathers you definitely neeed to avoid!

10. Juat purchased the oak bryn. Am having reservations for the same reason. Should i stick with it or wait around for the shiny grain even though im not totes in love with shiny grain.

11. I am also looking for something to use during the winter months. I have been using my oak regular alexa for the past few months, but probably won't use it so much in the winter due to the unpredictability of the weather. Not sure exactly what I'm looking for but have just looked at the somerset on ebay and quite like it. Also really like the daria.

Good luck with your search, let us know what you decide!

12. Ooh yes!! My friend had (probably still has!) that one and it did hold up pretty well and weathered nicely, without ugly mottling :smile:

13. I was speaking to the SA in my local M store and she seemed to think oak is fine in winter as long as plenty collonil used... we were discussing the Alexa in oak buffalo in particular .
    Also reading some other threads, some folks use oak in rain with no probs.
    I haven't bought yet as I am still debating colours, but would have no worries about choosing oak for winter .