Winterizing...gas/electric bill shock!!!

1. Sign up to become a TPF member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It's free and quick to sign up, so join the discussion right now!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. NORDSTROM WINTER SALE Up to 40% off until February 23rd! Free shipping and free returns! Shop The Sale!
    Dismiss Notice
Our PurseForum community is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker. Thank you!
  1. Ha ha Shimma I don't hate you...I hate BGE and my bill!!! I did go around and reset the thermostats to 68-70. It is going to take some time to wean everyone to lower temps. I like to walk around in short sleeves and shorts when I am comfy at home though. Oh well...time to layer up.

Charles--I have no idea and I am complete idiot when it comes to this stuff. We do have climate control in our house so the upper level and main level are on different thermostats. I know that our AC broke over the summer on the upper level and there was a guy here fixing it. He told me to make sure I change the filters every month which I have been doing. I don't know if what he did entails having it serviced though. I assumed that the AC and heat systems were intertwined. Please excuse my ignorance on this, I honestly thought this is something my husband would handle but I think it is up to me. I guess I need to read a heating system 101 guide.

2. I have the filters changed each month...and it supposably makes a difference in efficiency.Its also good to have a maintenance plan ...my peeps come out 4 times a year and service all my zones for like 20 dollars a month(Covers all zones of AC and heat)..its worth the money..in the long run.

3. AC and Heat are different systems. They might be all in one location/box, but each one runs something different. You're supposed to have both checked once a year to make sure nothing is clogged or no motors are burning out making things less efficient. At the price of your bill, I'd def get someone out there to take a look.

4. I would recommend the energy efficient light bulbs.(highly) Also, be sure that none of your toilets are running. I also unplug everything including microwave when I am not using it.

The house stays at 69 when we are home and until about 9:30 pm. I drop it to 64 at night. Our bill was about 300-400 and now, the most we have paid is $169 in about 4 months. I am in Colorado so yes, it is cold. I also stay in sweaters or long sleeves and I keep DS in that as well.

5. me too north CO

6. Get an electric blanket and wear socks!

7. My parents was 550 and they dont even use a house heater!! but my dad has his personal one in his tv room on all day lol