Winter shoes for MI winter?

As some of you may know that I moved from mid TX to MI this past summer, so now am in need help to build a sensible winter shoes collection. Late 20s going back to school for a career change, no need for super trendy stuff, and prefer to stay within $250 budget. My days of designer heels are gone :crybaby: I wear my trusty Hunter/Jimmy Choo tall wellies daily, but really need a break from it. Also don't like how the metal tip of belt smacks the side of my coupe every time I get in/out.

So far I have these two pairs of UGG (I had to resist the urge of rolling my eyes when girls wear it in mid/southern TX....ah karma is quick lol) coming my way:

Carnagie in Charcoal from Nordies, fingers cross they will come through with back order

and Bailey over the knee in regular chestnut, picture below is bomber chestnut

CoachCatcher45

designer Addict
O.G.
May 11, 2011
Michigan
I live in MI and the black boots are your best bet along with the wellies. Uggs just can't handle it or any soft boot like that really. You need a boot with good traction too and warm on the inside. It gets wet and cold.

CoachCatcher45 said:
I live in MI and the black boots are your best bet along with the wellies. Uggs just can't handle it or any soft boot like that really. You need a boot with good traction too and warm on the inside. It gets wet and cold.
Sigh, thanks for the reality check. I have some late night classes that requires me to hike up and down on campus, guess I will give the Timberland a try. Really don't want to go Sorel Joan of Arc route, even hubby call it the astronaut shoes... This is coming from a man who never pay attention to fashion/trend, because its a girly stuff lol.

If I were to add a rubber sole to my normal shoes and boots, will it be safe to wear them on a non snow day?

CoachCatcher45

designer Addict
O.G.
May 11, 2011
Michigan
Classic Chic said:
Sigh, thanks for the reality check. I have some late night classes that requires me to hike up and down on campus, guess I will give the Timberland a try. Really don't want to go Sorel Joan of Arc route, even hubby call it the astronaut shoes... This is coming from a man who never pay attention to fashion/trend, because its a girly stuff lol.

If I were to add a rubber sole to my normal shoes and boots, will it be safe to wear them on a non snow day?
I don't see why not because there could be ice and just a tip, UGGs are better warn in the fall early winter here. So you can still wear them just not for hiking up a hill. I know this from experience

gmo

Jun 14, 2011
Massachusetts

Not sure what winters in MI are like, but I've been braving New England winters my whole life. When it isn't snowing, I get by with rubber-soled shoes. Adding Vibram soles to your regular shoes is a great idea to give you a little bit of traction on ice and otherwise slippery surfaces. Another tip is to be sure to protect your leather and suede with weather proofing sprays or creams for any unexpected liquid or salt on the ground.

CoachCatcher45

designer Addict
O.G.
May 11, 2011
Michigan
gmo said:
Not sure what winters in MI are like, but I've been braving New England winters my whole life. When it isn't snowing, I get by with rubber-soled shoes. Adding Vibram soles to your regular shoes is a great idea to give you a little bit of traction on ice and otherwise slippery surfaces. Another tip is to be sure to protect your leather and suede with weather proofing sprays or creams for any unexpected liquid or salt on the ground.
That's great advice!

lorihmatthews

A taste for the arts
O.G.
Oct 7, 2006
San Francisco
I've lived through plenty of MI winters and decided a long time ago to escape which is why I live in CA now. Ugg boots won't last in the snow and slush. I have a pair of faux fur lined black rubber Coach boots that keep my feet warm when I visit during the winters there.

gmo said:
Thanks for the input. I will be on the out look for those kits. Any brand you recommend?

lorihmatthews said:
I've lived through plenty of MI winters and decided a long time ago to escape which is why I live in CA now. Ugg boots won't last in the snow and slush. I have a pair of faux fur lined black rubber Coach boots that keep my feet warm when I visit during the winters there.
Wish I can say the same lol. Not sure if south east MI is prone to have a lot of slush, but i will probably keep one of the UGG and try the timberland pair for slush.

gmo

Jun 14, 2011
Massachusetts
Thanks for the input. I will be on the out look for those kits. Any brand you recommend?
I always use a suede & nubuck spray for my suede shoes/boots. I don't have a particular brand I swear by like I know some people do - I'm sure a quick search of this forum could help you out with that. As far as my leathers go, I've just started using this beeswax paste for leather: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004X6ST46/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i03

It does darken the color of lighter leathers a bit, but it has treated my shoes wonderfully so far. Water doesn't leave a mark on my shoes at all and the longevity is much better than leather sprays I've used in the past. I've also been tempted to try it on leather jackets and bags for when I get caught in the rain. I've already bought a second can! I hope this helps!