Winners Canada – what is going on there?

MrsBradley

Aug 8, 2011
It used be a very nice place to dig out a bargain. And although help was virtually non-existent at least they refrained from being downright hostile. About 10 days ago I was trying to hunt down the second boot of a pair of Pajar Tobogans (down to $60) when a lady came off the washrooms and approached an employee. The customer asked very nicely if the employee would call for washroom clean up. Then the employee told her to go and report that to the fitting rooms’ staff. Both I and other customer were stunned. But that was not the end of it – the employee went on ranting: “We do not need a washroom because they do not know how to use it”. Then she saw me on all four trying to find the other boot and kept on going: “And this one – dragging one boot around…”. I’m seldom left speechless but this was rather original and before I could react she stalked away through an “Employee only” door. I sure hope she keeps there her meds. I contacted whatever passes for “customer relations” with them and got some lame apology and no comment about the unprofessional way their staff behaved.
Today I went to a different location and while I was flipping hangers at the kids section with my daughter hanging onto my hips an employee came pushing a cart with toy boxes and she rammed the cart into me with all her might. And instead of apologizing she told me to look where I’m going. Well, that pretty much did it and I told her that is she had pushed the cart into my daughter she would be seeing a proctologist to retrieve it. Whoever I saw, a harried looking woman, looked more scared of the employee than me. And the mouth on that one! I could not help myself but tell the supervisor that whatever they are paying her is not worth it.

Apart from poor staff I find that you can hardly find anything to get excited about. Do any of you, ladies, knows what is going on?

Heart Star

Jan 20, 2013
Wow, sorry, but the way you told this story cracked me up!
Although I haven't come across any rude/hostile employees at Winners, I will say I think they get training when they start to ring people through the tills as SLOWLY as possible. Especially if they have long line ups. Sometimes I've honestly thought I could get the people through faster without knowing their computer system!
I used to work in the same complex as a Winners so I would go in almost every day on my lunch break and I used to find some gems but not so much anymore. Their jewelry is still pretty good though. I think my best find was a Linea Pelle Dylan tote with gun metal hardware for more than 50% off. That was quite a few years ago though...

MrsBradley

Aug 8, 2011
I think that I’m the original point and click shopper. But I liked to comb the racks at Winners. I have scored Modern Vintage sandals for $30 there, a Latico bag for 36, Ash sneakers for 18… And looking back from when I first started going there it is a serious decline. Once upon a time I worked retail and it was drummed into our heads that a customer must be greeted (apparently that gave the impression that she/he will be remembered and thus reducing the probability of theft). Our store did not have a single security device attached but it was the type of store where we actually waited on customers. Yes, there were stolen items, especially during the “sidewalk sales” but I bet it is nothing compared to what Winners takes as a hit. Now all the Runway stuff get two security thingies attached. Even the shoes are punched with security devices one can hardly try them on. But Winners’ personnel that walks the floor will go out of their way to avoid meeting customers’ eyes. I quit all together buying at the kids’ section because whoever attaches the darn beeping things does it to inflict maximum damage – because it is mostly knit fabric if punctured wrong way you get a run after one wash. Same with underwear and prepacked T-shirts. And all that crap before you reach the cashiers! The biggest junk is there.
I understand that this is not the type of store where you go for the service but still, there are norms of behaviour. I can well imagine that these two young girls (both looked half my age) feel this job to be beneath them but if they do not value a steady paycheck and are incapable of performing such simple duties how they expect to get anywhere? And the supervisors, managers and whatever fancy titles they parade around – they are laughable. I was almost weaned of eBay and few other sites but I still need to dress my kids so I’m back to my point and click shopping habits.

MrsBradley

Aug 8, 2011
Winners is a chain of off-price Canadian department stores owned by TJX Companies which also owns HomeSense. It offers brand name clothing, footwear, bedding, furniture, fine jewellery, beauty products, and housewares.
I know that :smile:. Thanks, I was wondering if you know if they are going to close stores or are changing hats – all the little things that can account for the lack of even attempting to perform as sales people.

aggiebaby

Jun 18, 2012
This reminds me of the time that I went shopping with my boyfriend. We were tired and decided to sit on one of their sofa, and a lady came out to tell us "you can't sit on those"... If I can't sit on them, how will I decide if I want to buy them or not?

Then on my way past the toys section, I saw the employee (who was talking to the employee who had told us not to sit on the chairs) carrying a few things in her hands, and she just kicked all the toys(that were on the floor) out of her way! Instead of avoiding it, and coming back to pick it up, she just ... dented and probably broke a few pieces in the toys!

Not to mention their return policy is weird. Somehow people are able to return fake merchandise (I saw a jacket that someone had clearly switched the tags and label) or reselling pieces with holes, make up stains, and even shoes that have clearly been worn to go out.

MrsBradley

Aug 8, 2011
There is most certainly some change in the air – they got high end stuff in. A friend dragged me in to check out some Dior shoes. They had a table with Versace, Miu Miu and few other brands that are far from typical for Winners. And a security guy watched us all the time while my friend was trying the shoes on, each shoe secured with a device. Weird. And they are pushing really hard some “loyalty card” that upon activation requires so much personal information that I wonder why they even need it.
I am still pretty pissed so I did not spend even a fiver on chocolate.

Power

Mar 23, 2012
Vancouver, BC
I used to work at Winners, many years ago, and I know first hand they do not treat their employees well at all. Any company cannot expect top performers when they pay their employees the bare minimum, with no room for advancement and treat them like dirt. Some of the young girls who work there aren't even proper 'employees', they're there because of job placement or low-level educational programs that require work experience to complete it.

Knowing this, I do not shop there anymore.

lilac28

O.G.
Aug 21, 2008
MrsBradley, can I ask which Winners location this was? While I certainly have encountered a couple of rude employees at Winners, the majority have been ok.

lilac28

O.G.
Aug 21, 2008
Not to mention their return policy is weird. Somehow people are able to return fake merchandise (I saw a jacket that someone had clearly switched the tags and label) or reselling pieces with holes, make up stains, and even shoes that have clearly been worn to go out.[/QUOTE]

I've noticed this too. And it bugs me because there are times I'm doing a return with tags intact and the correct receipt and they scrutinize everything! Or when they claim the tag isn't ringing through even though you bought it from their store!

akonlki231

Feb 27, 2013
I've noticed this too. And it bugs me because there are times I'm doing a return with tags intact and the correct receipt and they scrutinize everything! Or when they claim the tag isn't ringing through even though you bought it from their store!