Travel Windsor and London UK

emchhardy

Feb 12, 2013
I'm staying in Windsor on business in July for 6 nights. I have a weekend to myself where I can venture out. I plan to take in Windsor Castle. I may only have one day in London. What would you recommend? I'm looking to get a flavor for London but not too touristy or too busy (want to be at my leisure). I'll be there in July. I know I can take the train from Windsor into London. Which station is better - Waterloo or Paddington station? Also, any good places to eat and shop in Windsor? I live in the US and may never get back to these locations again so any advice/recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

remainsilly

bye-bye
Aug 15, 2014
Windsor is near Eton.
Has student & tourist vibe, imo.
Tk maxx(similar to US tj maxx) is there--shopping will be lower prices than London.
Except at castle & tourist spots.
All sorts of cafes & restaurants for tea, snacks, etc.
Nice park.

Honestly, I'd be bored out of my mind after more than couple days exploring the twin cities.
And would need London trip.

Waterloo--trains, tube, lots of options in 1 spot.
But not my fave at night.
Though had no problems. Is near Jack the Ripper's former hunting grounds.:nuts:

Hope helps.
Others may know more.

London is so huge and diverse that it really will be difficult to narrow things down to just a few things. It really will depend on what your interests are. History? Which part of history? Royal history? WWI and WWII? Or maybe art? Again, what kind? Modern/contemporary? Impressionist? The masters? Or food? Again, what kind? Street food? Classic English pub fare? Modern fine dining? Classic fine dining? If you could be a little more specific about your interests, then it'll be easier for people to provide recommendations that you'll enjoy.

That said, the London forum has quite a lot of tips and ideas already: https://forum.purseblog.com/threads/london-tips-questions-advice.266053/

My one recommendation would be to extend your trip, if at all possible. One day in London is nowhere near enough. :smile:

emchhardy

Feb 12, 2013
^ I've narrowed it down to possibly this for 1 day in London - Take train from Windsor to Waterloo station, Visit Tate Modern Museum and Borough Market and if time allows, squeeze in Alex Monroe store. Is that do-able? I'm figuring about 4 miles of walking and I understand Borough Market gets crowded on a Saturday. Any suggestions of things to eat in Borough Market? And do most vendors in Borough Market take Visa or should I have pounds on hand?

^ I've narrowed it down to possibly this for 1 day in London - Take train from Windsor to Waterloo station, Visit Tate Modern Museum and Borough Market and if time allows, squeeze in Alex Monroe store. Is that do-able? I'm figuring about 4 miles of walking and I understand Borough Market gets crowded on a Saturday. Any suggestions of things to eat in Borough Market? And do most vendors in Borough Market take Visa or should I have pounds on hand?
The earlier you get to the Borough Market, the better. It is crazy during the weekend so try to avoid lunch crowd if you can. Take cash with you. Only bigger shops take credit cards and I'm certain hardly any of the street food vendors do. As for recommendations...
- Kappaceisen: An amazing cheese toastie (i.e. grilled cheese sandwich) and raclette.
- Bread Ahead: for the doughnuts!
- Brindisa: Their chorizo roll might be my favorite thing to eat in Borough Market
- Northfield Farm: Their salt beef sandwich is excellent

Then of course there are so so many shops selling things you can take back home. There's a mushroom pate that's quite excellent near the barber shop, if I remember correctly. And there are so many cheesemongers selling cheeses and charcuterie from Italy, Spain, France, and of course from within the UK. Most, if not all, of them offer samples for you to try.

Borough Market is one of my favorite places on this planet, so I would really recommend that you try to go more than once, as there's so much food you have to try. Plus, it's cheap! Maybe go for breakfast, walk to the Tate, and then walk back to Borough Market for late lunch? Then walk to the Alex Monroe store from there.

If you start early, then you can definitely hit all those places within the day, and probably have time to explore a bit more. The day will be long, given that you'll be there in July and I recommend you maximize that given that you said you're unlikely to return to the city. The Tower of London and Tower Bridge are in the area you'll be in.