Window dressings for a small window advice needed

I am looking for some advice. I am currently redecorating my bedroom from top to bottom and have been out looking for curtains or blinds.

I currently have a roman blind which lets in light at the sides when dropped which is why I am thinking a wider width would be best. During the winter there were draughts coming in so I am going to have to remedy this too.

The problem is the window is small so nothing from the shops would fit and would have to be altered. The window inside the recess is less than 60cm wide and less than 90cm high. If I was going to go down the blind route again the finished size would be 66cm wide and 109cm high to be outside the recess and falling onto the sill.

What would your recommendations be for a small window.

Swanky

Admin
Admin
O.G.
Jan 12, 2006
Can you post a photo?

A great way to make a window appear larger is to buy a slightly larger covering for it and not hanging it inside the frame. I'd suggest buying a roman {or other style} roman shade in a pretty upholstery weight fabric, which will keep out unwanted temperatures, and hang it outside the window frame, it'll give the illusion of a larger window and offer more design aesthetic.

Jesssh

Jan 20, 2012
Could you put curtains or drapes on either side of the window and keep the roman blind in place?

Maybe use floor length drapes and put a small table under the window if it doesn't go down to near the floor.

Can you post a photo?

A great way to make a window appear larger is to buy a slightly larger covering for it and not hanging it inside the frame. I'd suggest buying a roman {or other style} roman shade in a pretty upholstery weight fabric, which will keep out unwanted temperatures, and hang it outside the window frame, it'll give the illusion of a larger window and offer more design aesthetic.
I have attached some pictures of the window. The picture was taken on a rainy day without any lights on or flash.

window.jpg

Could you put curtains or drapes on either side of the window and keep the roman blind in place?

Maybe use floor length drapes and put a small table under the window if it doesn't go down to near the floor.
The blind looks better outside the window recess. I would have to choose between a blind or curtains as both wouldn't work.

Thank you for all of your replies. I have been doing a little room planning and have decided to put insulated curtains up instead. They are a taupe coloured suedette material with eyelet top. When open they will be pulled back to the sides of the window (so they are not covering any of the window) and will overhang each side considerably to create the illusion of a bigger window.