Will you keep buying Chanel if they raise their prices?

i just can't get excited by Hermes....maybe Gucci
Chanel trying to be on par with Hermès, HA! Pretty sure that’s not going to happen. The leather and craftsmanship on a H bag is way more superior than anything Chanel has released lately. With the recent price increase, I’m pretty much done. It’s not like there’s anything new at Chanel anyways. They saw that the so black did well so they brought it back, back to back, may I add. Same with the rainbow. It’s getting kind of old and it makes the company look uninspired.

If you look at the price from a European stand-point, the cost of a jumbo is about 70% that of a K or B. Ks and Bs are much more rare and retain their value on the market way better. A client that’s ready to throw down 7K isn’t going to flinch at the thought of owning a rare B or K for another 3K, JMHO.

So true about the so black. In my opinion they have done it now in so many variations 'to shift bags' (as I am sure it sells well) that it's almost lost its appeal/specialness. A shame really.

I would love to say yes but alas, the truth is that I could BARELY afford the bags even BEFORE any price increase.

The current price increases have kicked me out of the game entirely. Now I can only lust from afar.

When once I would pour attention to every new chanel color release or new season item; now I’ve been focusing energies to looking for bags that are more in my budget.

I’ve been eyeing Balenciaga... Givenchy... Dior... Valentino etc.

I’ve also since started looking at shoes. So much cheaper than bags! I’ve gotten a few pairs of Loubs and Choos recently and enjoy pairing them with my pre-existing small Chanel collection.

I’m just thankful that even if I was late to the game, I was able to get a few bags for myself (a boy, a mini rectangle, a jumbo and a GST!) what more can I want eh?

I contacted a reseller yesterday thinking I might consign my Mini Classic Black Caviar, ghw that cost $955 around 2000. I know there is inflation: she offered me a good consignment price . For now I’m not ready to part. When I looked at the bag, I could see how good the quality is. I’ve heard years before that were even better.
Wasn’t that the point if buying a well made bag & the reason for a brands success ? For the quality??

I contacted a reseller yesterday thinking I might consign my Mini Classic Black Caviar, ghw that cost $955 around 2000. I know there is inflation: she offered me a good consignment price . For now I’m not ready to part. When I looked at the bag, I could see how good the quality is. I’ve heard years before that were even better.
Wasn’t that the point if buying a well made bag & the reason for a brands success ? For the quality??

Yes, I agree.
But, do you think if I buy the same Chanel bag today from the retail store, 15 years later, will the bag still in a good shape and will I still be able to consign the bag for... say triple of the original price that I pay today?
I highly doubt that, that's why I won't buy. I just started my designer handbag fever less than an year, it's already too late for me to step-in this Chanel price increasing game. I will be keeping looking for the well-made designer handbag at a reasonable price that can let me enjoy the bag without overpaying for the brand name. , while saving for a REAL worth to pay (such as Hermes).

Yes, I agree.
But, do you think if I buy the same Chanel bag today from the retail store, 15 years later, will the bag still in a good shape and will I still be able to consign the bag for... say triple of the original price that I pay today?
I highly doubt that, that's why I won't buy. I just started my designer handbag fever less than an year, it's already too late for me to step-in this Chanel price increasing game. I will be keeping looking for the well-made designer handbag at a reasonable price that can let me enjoy the bag without overpaying for the brand name. , while saving for a REAL worth to pay (such as Hermes).

The price a reseller quoted me was about 2.25-3x what I payed for the bag. I thought that was pretty good since it is an older bag though maintained well.
As I wrote in an earlier post, I transitioned from Chanel to Hermès a few years ago. & uncertain at the start since I was a loyal Chanel collector. I have not bought a Chanel bag since my first Hermès purchase. Hermès has a different aesthetic than Chanel. It may not be for everyone. There are reputable resellers you can buy from to decide if Hermes leather goods are for you. I also want to note though I am happy with the line, some feel their quality is now variable
Regarding the Chanel bags that sit in my closet, I do not know why I can’t part with them. I bought the bags from the boutique or in store boutiques. When I look at the them, they possess a beautiful, classic, well made style. Maybe Chanel’s direction changed & I do not fit their target market. I definitely do not believe the bags are worth the price. The current construction & quality lacks from the recent bags I have seen

The price a reseller quoted me was about 2.25-3x what I payed for the bag. I thought that was pretty good since it is an older bag though maintained well.
As I wrote in an earlier post, I transitioned from Chanel to Hermès a few years ago. & uncertain at the start since I was a loyal Chanel collector. I have not bought a Chanel bag since my first Hermès purchase. Hermès has a different aesthetic than Chanel. It may not be for everyone. There are reputable resellers you can buy from to decide if Hermes leather goods are for you. I also want to note though I am happy with the line, some feel their quality is now variable
Regarding the Chanel bags that sit in my closet, I do not know why I can’t part with them. I bought the bags from the boutique or in store boutiques. When I look at the them, they possess a beautiful, classic, well made style. Maybe Chanel’s direction changed & I do not fit their target market. I definitely do not believe the bags are worth the price. The current construction & quality lacks from the recent bags I have seen

This is me completely. I have about 15 classic m/l in various colors, about half are unused with tags still hanging. Even with a thin layer of dust on them (no lie), I still can't part with them. I think a part of me still has a fling-thing with Chanel and perhaps I'll regret selling them in the future. Then it would be a double whammy if I had to buy them back at the escalated price (whatever that will be then).

The good news is I finally have a baby girl, so now it makes the justification of keeping them a little better. What girl wouldn't want a Chanel as a starter :P

This is me completely. I have about 15 classic m/l in various colors, about half are unused with tags still hanging. Even with a thin layer of dust on them (no lie), I still can't part with them. I think a part of me still has a fling-thing with Chanel and perhaps I'll regret selling them in the future. Then it would be a double whammy if I had to buy them back at the escalated price (whatever that will be then).

The good news is I finally have a baby girl, so now it makes the justification of keeping them a little better. What girl wouldn't want a Chanel as a starter :P

To begin, Congratulations [emoji323] & wishing you & your baby girl much health & happiness together! Hopefully, she will like bags[emoji4]. I believe your bags have dust on them. I am your twin!! [emoji38]
When I told my husband the reseller quote for my Mini he told me to keep the bag & use it. Sometimes it’s better to distance emotions from reality & let someone else be objective. We bought our bags because we liked them.
Today at lunch I saw younger women with older, not in perfect condition Chanel bags. It looked chic to me
Fashion can be fickle. Though Chanel may seem staid to me now, some of the esprit I though it once possessed may come back & give the brand a whole new expression. After all Chanel is Classic. Then I will feel beyond foolish for ever parting with my collection!

I started buying Chanel about 13 years ago. And altough it was also alot of money then, I could justify my purchases and thought they were worth the money. Over the years I’ve become more selective of what I buy since I have a clear vision of what I want in my collection. I love Chanel and the style very much and I enjoy all the beautifull things I have but now I find myself thinking long & hard to justify buying a bag for 4k or up. Im very happy that I started buying back then instead of now.
It is Chanel and therefore will always stay classy & timeless but how far would I go? Time will tell

people are going to buy more because it's chanel, even if the quality is going down. I just saw someone reveal a seasonal WOC on youtube and the logo was so obviously crooked, yet they were still very happy with it... Good fakes are probably more flawless bags at this point. It is truly quite laughable, when people are paying so much for bags of such poor craftmanship. Take away the logo and its no longer 'worth' the money.

Was always interested in the Chanel Boy bags, but with Chanel costing 3x other brands, I don't think I'll be able to own one. And that's okay.

For an evening bag I may consider something more realistically priced like the Marmont, Marni Trunk, or perhaps Valentino Glamlock Locks which offer a great value in terms of construction.

Reactions: Bagventures
I love the Boy bags too. For me the price was worth it when they first came out in 2010 or 2011? I came across a black caviar Boy recently and bought it. Even though I love it, I just don't see a 'wow' factor to own it and wish that I didn't whip out my credit card so fast...:lol: Maybe I bought it because I was duped into thinkin this piece is hard to come across in the boutique. Anyhow, if you could get from a reputable seller for less then retail then that would be a thrill to own one...IMHO. :smile:

Vintage Chanel. To me it is a no brainer: better quality, lower prices. Plus I love the look of an old Chanel that looks a bit off in terms of design and never as shiny as the fakes popping up everywhere.

That said, I cannot stop eyeing the Gabrielle...

Reactions: cjj and Meisha
Not that I like the price increases, but I would consider buying another in store if the quality was good AND if the still serviced their bags. The latter turned me off when they won't service anything over 5 years anymore. Pay more and get less in quality and service? No thanks.