Will you buy a Louis Vuitton with your stimulus check?

Status
Not open for further replies.
It’s funny that these large corporations that make hand over fist in money need a bailout due to one single pandemic. They don’t plan for things like this? What?!! No rainy day funds???!!! :wtf::panic:

I agree to an extent, but the grounding of airplanes and cruise ships worldwide for months at a time will quickly bankrupt even a billion dollar company. At least retail stores can move their businesses online, these other industries have no chance in recovery with such a huge loss in such a short period of time. If we let them be to figure it out, it would create a ripple effect throughout the entire economy, causing a severe recession, possibly a depression. I think we can all agree we love to hate these essential bailouts.

Reactions: Winter’sJoy
I agree to an extent, but the grounding of airplanes and cruise ships worldwide for months at a time will quickly bankrupt even a billion dollar company. At least retail stores can move their businesses online, these other industries have no chance in recovery with such a huge loss in such a short period of time. If we let them be to figure it out, it would create a ripple effect throughout the entire economy, causing a severe recession, possibly a depression. I think we can all agree we love to hate these essential bailouts.
Yes, but there have been other bailouts throughout history and no one labels them welfare checks even when those corporations were still paying their CEOs large bonus. They understand that the bailouts are necessary. I just wish we had more compassion for our fellowman.

Can someone close this thread please???? This is getting out of hand. People are just being mean :sad:
I agree. I was enjoying the conversation and debate until that very ugly and negative post. OP didn’t deserve that. I think that @haute okole should be reprimanded for being so nasty and insensitive in her post and insinuating that the OP is a welfare recipient when that is obviously untrue.

I agree. I was enjoying the conversation and debate until that very ugly and negative post. OP didn’t deserve that. I think that @haute okole should be reprimanded for being so nasty and insensitive in her post and insinuating that the OP is a welfare recipient when that is obviously untrue.
Or at least delete that post. That was truly below the belt. I’m admittedly not always the most tactful person on this board, sometimes too direct, but I feel a line was crossed there.

I agree. I was enjoying the conversation and debate until that very ugly and negative post. OP didn’t deserve that. I think that haute okole should be reprimanded for being so nasty and insensitive in her post and insinuating that the OP is a welfare recipient when that is obviously untrue.
I completely agree but it’ll never happen.

I've already been researching that. That was actually my first thought. To spend so much money on a handbag, I want to make sure of its authenticity. I understand there are people who can authenticate but I need to know for myself that it is real. I have looked into posts where people have receipts as well to prove the authenticity.
Yes, the authenticity question is totally fair. You have been incredible with responding to people on this with the equanimity of a yoga teacher! Buy whatever you want, there is something special about getting a brand new bag, and enjoy it in good health!

@KatrinaSharp buy the bag!!!!! Buy the bag!!!! B-U-Y THE BAG!!!! And have fun with it!!! Live life and forget about all the hypocrites who are criticizing your choices! At the end of the day, nobody is paying for your bills, nobody is responsible for your choices. Every one loves to criticize and point fingers. You do you and enjoy your life. You don’t have to explain anything to anyone. You volunteer when you want and IF you want. You support small businesses when you want IF you want. We should all leave the Hermès forums, Chanel threads, LV conversations if we are so concerned with the well being of others. Let’s sell all our stuff and donate to the poor. Walk the talk. what’s the point of purseblog or purseforum then????
Fed up of this non-sense

Last edited:
I say buy the bag! The coronavirus brought up this Life Is Short feeling in me, and I'm debating buying a bag I've wanted for a long time, because Life Is Short! Imo it sounds like you've been saving your money all along and been sensible and wanted this bag but didn't quite get round to getting it, so get it! Don think of it as buying it with your stimulus money, think of it as buying it with your savings (and realistically, if you only saved $100 a month for 1-2 years or whatever you can buy this LV bag, it's not like you're wanting a crocodile birkin or something and not undoable for a teacher), and think of your stimulus money as going to your groceries.

Reactions: CaliSunShine
I have not been on this forum in a long time because I been busy with work but now that I am not busy anymore here I am. Anyways, this was first post that really stood out to me. At first I was like "ugh really thinking about buying designer bags at a time like this". However after my emotions settled I realized if OP or anyone wants to buy a bag with this check then that is just fine. My household does not qualify for this check so will not be getting one therefore can not answer the OP's question but if I did get one I would do what I pleased with it and others should do the same.

I'm not going to judge the OP because the checks are going out in order to stimulate our consumerist post-Industrual economy. It's not "welfare." It's not unemployment. It's not disaster relief unless you need it go be. And in many zip codes it's not even enough to pay one month's rent on a 1 bedroom apartment, let alone pay for the bag she's looking at in full. For many Americans, $1200 is not an adequate amount to be a financial buffer, but enough to encourage them to splurge a little, which is exactly what it's meant to do.

I do agree that there may be better things to spend on right now to support local economies, like takeout, shopping at locally owned stores, etc. Heck, even purchasing a preloved bag might put money directly into someone's pocket who needs it. However, if someone who has been saving $100 each month for the past 6 months to buy a $1300 dollar bag uses their stimulus money to do it, that still leaves $500 to spend elsewhere, PLUS it frees up another $100 per month to spend elsewhere for the forseeable future.

In my mind, the most fiscally responsible thing to do with a minor windfall like this is exactly what will NOT help our economy right now: investing or paying down debt. That won't do anything to help Moms & Pops on Main Street. So let's try not to judge someone for buying a purse with their stimulus money if we're not going to judge someone for paying down a student loan or shoring up their 401k just as harshly.

If the OP had rephrased her post to talk about buying a big with an unexpected windfall, my guess is that this post would never have taken off like it has. The stimulus check is just that, an unexpected windfall and while many are out of work, many are not. There is a post "Sheltering in Place With LV" and another "The Bag That Lifts Your Spirits in These Crazy Times", just for the record. Thanks to the OP for her grace and equanimity that she has managed during this exchange. It sounds like your family is financially stable and prudent. I have some SLGs, but I have not purchased a more costly bag, because we have heavy college tuition payments for multiple children right now and it would not be prudent. But if I were you, I say buy the bag, enjoy the bag and I personally would love to see a reveal of your bag! Health and peace to you all.

I’d feel bad spending it on luxury goods. I’m currently feeling bad owing what I have. The world ahead is scary, so please make the right choices and help others. Good Health and Peace!!

i think its up to individual but using for essential items seem more wise than a bag

How do I know if I will get the full amount?

It depends on your income. Single adults with Social Security numbers who are United States residents and have an adjusted gross income of $75,000 or less would get the full amount. Married couples with no children earning $150,000 or less would receive a total of $2,400. And taxpayers filing as head of household would get the full payment if they earned $112,500 or less.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.