Will you buy a bag with obvious sign of wear but 65% less than original price

candyapple15

Jun 21, 2015
Asia
hi all, need your opinion!!

I recently fall in love with bolide and was able to find my dream bag from a reseller. The bag condition is used condition, no slouching, Togo leather body still looks good but problem is the 4 corners are with obvious sign of wear. I sent the pictures of the bag corners to a professional bag repair guy to check the possibility of revamp, he said he should be able to get the corners repaired like approx 70% new (I am hoping he can make it 90%new). As for the price it is very attractive approx 65% less than original Hermes price so I would say this is reasonable for what it is.
So my question is will you take this bag with good price then have it repaired to 70% new? It still cost me US$2500 so I am struggling if I should take it. Appreciate if you can let me know your opinion. The bag has been authenticated.

Appreciate your input.

gracekelly

The Red Queen
Authenticator
O.G.
Feb 4, 2006

I recently fall in love with bolide and was able to find my dream bag from a reseller. The bag condition is used condition, no slouching, Togo leather body still looks good but problem is the 4 corners are with obvious sign of wear. I sent the pictures of the bag corners to a professional bag repair guy to check the possibility of revamp, he said he should be able to get the corners repaired like approx 70% new (I am hoping he can make it 90%new). As for the price it is very attractive approx 65% less than original Hermes price so I would say this is reasonable for what it is.
So my question is will you take this bag with good price then have it repaired to 70% new? It still cost me US$2500 so I am struggling if I should take it. Appreciate if you can let me know your opinion. The bag has been authenticated.

Appreciate your input.
It would be helpful if you could post a picture so the damage is shown. Considering that you will be putting more money into it, unless it is a rare bird and you just have to have it, I would go slow.

Nanami_S.

Mar 2, 2017
USA
Yes, agree with gracekelly. It also depends on how much you love this bag. Personally, I cannot accept any pre-loved bag with obvious sign of wear around the corners. Unless this Bolide is exotic, there will always be another opportunity in the future.

Reactions: lovetheduns

leuleu

O.G.
Aug 22, 2009

Appreciate your input.
No. I would pass on this one.

westcoastgal

Feb 20, 2014

Appreciate your input.
I think it depends on what you will use it for. If it's just a throw around bag and you prefer it to a new, different style bag in the same price range, then get it if the wear doesn't bother you. I don't know if the price you are paying is market price or not.

Jan 15, 2011
How much wear you can accept is a personal choice, and depends on whether you are going to "beat up" your bags anyway - if you baby bags, wear will likely bother you a lot. What I would say is that if you have the bag repaired by anyone but Hermès, you may not be able to have Hermès repairs in the future.
IMHO it's not a great price if the wear is extreme.

May 27, 2007
Yes, I have bought bags with signs of wear. It's to be expected when buying used bags. There are some types of wear that I can live with and others that automatically strike a bag off my list. Corner wear is not always a deal breaker, but it depends on how badly they are scuffed. You'll never get corners repaired back to 100% new, no matter who you send it to.

$2500 is a pretty good price for a Bolide, even assuming you send it to Hermes for repairs (~$350). But you can definitely find a bag in better condition if you're willing to pay a higher price.

remainsilly

bye-bye
Aug 15, 2014
Nope.

Actually, man in my life surprised me last year.
By purchasing a used hermes bag online.
When he excitedly showed me photos--well, "never worn, stored since purchase" seemed to have damage. Lots of damage.
And repairs + price + shipping/etc.--close to new bag cost.
So, kindly as could, declined. Asked him to cancel, before item shipped.

Hurty feelings ensued. Huff-a-sighs & sulking.
Then a new bag appeared. From boutique.
And believe me, after shuffling around hermes, he understood why "authentic" & "not someone's grubby cast-offs" meant something to me.
Also, sa told him what hermes could not repair. Which proved enlightening.

Hope helps.

lovetheduns

May 10, 2011

Appreciate your input.
It depends.

I bought a So Kelly recently for a beyond amazing price in my opinion. I paid just over 3900.00 for it. I have seen more used ones for 5k. I also bought a preowned Dogon Duo wallet for $750.00. The So Kelly was in immaculate condition and in a nice neutral color (Bleu de Prusse). I had it authenticated by Bababebi since I was a little shocked over the price. The Dogon wallet they had said was in good condition and for the life of me what Fashionphile had considered just good-- was shocking. It feels barely worn. There was some slight scuffing on the edging but it was so subtle and nothing that I would notice unless really examining it in very close detail. I also saw a pen mark but the color of the wallet is such it is barely noticeable.

If the reseller allows you to buy the item and do a return, I say why not. Some places like Ann's and Fashionphile can be pretty fastidious on how they judge an item. Some places - like The Real Real I think are too optimistic on condition.

catsinthebag

adopt a shelter pet!
O.G.
Sep 7, 2010
Boston Strong!
It depends.

I bought a So Kelly recently for a beyond amazing price in my opinion. I paid just over 3900.00 for it. I have seen more used ones for 5k. I also bought a preowned Dogon Duo wallet for $750.00. The So Kelly was in immaculate condition and in a nice neutral color (Bleu de Prusse). I had it authenticated by Bababebi since I was a little shocked over the price. The Dogon wallet they had said was in good condition and for the life of me what Fashionphile had considered just good-- was shocking. It feels barely worn. There was some slight scuffing on the edging but it was so subtle and nothing that I would notice unless really examining it in very close detail. I also saw a pen mark but the color of the wallet is such it is barely noticeable.

If the reseller allows you to buy the item and do a return, I say why not. Some places like Ann's and Fashionphile can be pretty fastidious on how they judge an item. Some places - like The Real Real I think are too optimistic on condition.
I agree about Fashionphile -- they are fastidious in their listings and the items are often in better shape than their descriptions.

OP, I too would like to see photos. If you do buy, I'd send it to Hermes for repairs, not a 3rd party.

Reactions: lovetheduns

lovetheduns

May 10, 2011
I agree about Fashionphile -- they are fastidious in their listings and the items are often in better shape than their descriptions.

OP, I too would like to see photos. If you do buy, I'd send it to Hermes for repairs, not a 3rd party.
I absolutely agree. I wouldn't send it to another place beyond Hermes. I am lucky that I have a place in my local area that does a lot of leather work (they do tons of work on Louboutin shoes and refurbishing bags) but I still would not send my Hermes to them. Much prefer to send it to Hermes.

OP would really love to see the photos - I am not overwhelmingly picky so I would at least tell you if I would risk it. :smile:

Txoceangirl

Oct 25, 2012
SoCal
I took my friend's beat up epsom kelly in for spa. My TPF friend said it looked like it was run over by a car. Major scratches and the corners were really bad. 6 weeks later....you would think it was a "newish" bag. Corners looked perfect and all scratches gone (except 1 but you had to know to look for it). Good Luck.....use H spa if you decide to get/keep.