Will our CLs Stand the TEST of TIME??

araisin

Jan 18, 2011
Ok, keep in mind when I ask this, that I just bought my second pair of CLs last week and I’ve got the bug. No question. So don’t pelt me with eggs when I ask this, but…

Do you think Louboutins will stand the test of time? Do you think I’ll be wearing the nude Biancas I bought last week, in two years? Will the very large platform fall out of style soon? I find that when I buy something, I always ask myself, “How timeless is this?” Case in point: When I saw Kate Middleton’s bridal dress last week, the first thing I thought was, this will not look out of style in 25 years. Love it or hate it, it has a timeless quality to it. So when I bought my Biancas, I kept wondering if, with such a large platform (I have to admit, the large platform heels still remind me a bit of stripper shoes), will they be out of fashion in the next couple of years.

For the record, I also own a pair of black patent Very Prives. These seem more timeless to me. I know how quickly styles can come and go. I would love to hear other thoughts on how everyone thinks many of the CL styles will hold up.

BijouBleu

Nov 21, 2010
I think that's a personal thing. Are you the sort of person that will wear something trend be damned? If not, then no, some of your purchases will not stand the test of time. However, if you don't abide by trends your shoes will be timeless. I don't, so I don't have shoes that I can't wear because they're out of style.

In any case, with fashion recycling as fast as it is nowadays, put the shoes away for a year, they'll be back in style before you can blink :P

AEGIS

lettin' them have it
O.G.
Nov 29, 2010
that's why i shy away from some double platforms tbh. im still not 100% sold. i like a hidden platform more.

but tbh i have a pair of lady peep with the red platform that i really like

but idk if i do timeless. i do what i like. many of the shoes i like have spikes etc. a lil badass and rockandroll. so my version of timeless

naughtymanolo

FYI I am a guy
O.G.
Apr 20, 2006
I love platforms but I think they will have an expiry date... sooner than we like to think. I think the real reason they have even lasted the past 5 or so years is because they allow the wearer to have some height with a bit of support and comfort.

I think points are the new trend this season i.e. Pigalle and New Decoletissimo and sandals with no platform and high heels i.e. police. Super high platforms will be phased out in 2 -3 years, smaller platforms might be here to stay from the demand of comfort minded customers no higher than an inch, mostly concealed i.e. VP even a large amount of the new season stock has a high concealed platform.

but this is all IMHO... trends come and go it's what makes fashion fun, you're almost always a day late the the party.

araisin

Jan 18, 2011
^^^^ It's funny you mention the pointy being in now. I envisioned the nude pigalles when I bought my nude patent Biancas last week. I told the SA at the CL boutique that that's what I was envisioning, because I feared the fad of the high plat on the Biancas would soon be over. She countered that the pointy is more of a fad than the round-toe high exposed plat, because pointed toes go in and out so much. She referenced the '80s as a pointy toe era. But my gut was that the pigalle would hold up longer than the Bianca. But let's be honest, there were NO nude pigalles to be had. Silly girl.

I should have just got the nude patent VPs. But the SA said why would I want my 2 pairs of CLs to be the same. Damn. The Biancas hurt. The VPs are like butter. I am offically having buyer's remorse.

grtlegs

O.G.
Feb 16, 2009
I just wanted to chime in with my opinion....and it is just that, my opinion.....I think the classic style pumps will alway be timeless, like the Pigalles and New Decoltissimo's, or even the original Decoltissimos, the Piaf's, Hai, New Hai's and even the Decollettes and simples.....Not so sure about platforms.....I tend to think that pretty soon, they will fall out of favor as they have in the past.....Not sure how long the peep toe will last as well....it seems to come and go.....and I am guessing peep toes will also disappear......The thing is, when platforms and peep toes go out of style, it really goes out of style,...You really look out of place wearing them, whereas when the point toe or round toed high heel pumps go out of style, you don't look so out of place still wearing them......they seem to still be acceptable, just not trendy...

AEGIS

lettin' them have it
O.G.
Nov 29, 2010
^ive never thought that peep toes go out of style.

i just hope to have enough of a collection to when something comes back, i go "oh i used to wear that in 2011! i have those shoes."

i also have no problem buying what i want now, and loving it. and i few years maybe not loving it as much, but remembering when i did.

im really into colorblocking now. im sure in about a year i'll be over it

KarenBorter

I'm Doomed!
Mar 19, 2011
I am certainly no slave to fashion but I will say that the "platform" has been "in" for longer then anyone thinks. Stripper shoes have had platforms forever and while they are not the pinnacle of fashion, the design houses caught the trend and that's why you are seeing so many shoes come out with platform soles (my avatar being a prime example).

Peep toe shoes will, in my opinion, always be fashionable as will pointy toed shoes. Fashion trend cycles used to be further apart now they are sometimes seasons apart, not years as it used to be.

For me, the shoes I own will stand the test of MY time since I tend to do things/wear things on my own terms :smile:

ShoesOnMyMind

Aug 25, 2010
I think right now, everything is possible when it comes to shoes. Dr. Martens had a come back for Gods sake. The only Louboutin style I can think of that have not passed the test ( just MO) are the bruges. I also think that the Pigalle and pointy styles like it will always be in fashion. Maybe the double platform will be out in 5 years. That´s still a pretty long time for a pair of shoes I think. I wouldn´t worry about it.

May 19, 2010
I never have time to worry about what's in & out of fashion. I love fashion but I like what I like & I could care less what others say are in or out.

I have clothes & purses that may no longer be considered the"in" right now that I wear when the mood hits me. My Fendi Spy bags ( & other Fendis) & my Chloe Paddingtons (& other Chloe bags) are prime examples of that.

Today I'm wearing my Rocco bag. Are Roccos still in? Who knows. :shrugs: Its the mood I've been in lately so the Rocco has been getting a little face time. :yes:

There's just no way I would let a stranger dictate what I should & shouldn't wear. :nono: Yes sometimes my preferences change but when that happens I put an item away. I wear what I love & what I feel is an expression on how I would like to present myself. Sometimes others approve of my outfits but other times they don't.:shrugs:

To tell you the truth its all the same to me whether others love or hate my fashion. The only person I give some thought to how they feel about my fashion is DH & that's because he's someone I'd like to impress & he also helps fund my purchases. :P
So unless its someone who is buying my fashion or someone I'm trying to impress I really don't care whether others think I'm in or out of style.:biggrin: