Will my UGGs ever be soft again?!

boyoverboard

Obsessed and in LoVe
O.G.
Feb 9, 2010
Hello all,

I don't frequent the shoe forum but I wondered if anyone might be able to help me out with a problem I'm having with my UGG boots. (Not exactly a 'glass slipper' topic, I know!)

Basically, I have two pairs - chocolate and the camel (not sure if that's the correct name) and until yesterday I had never cleaned them before. I've had them for almost a year, and until quite recently both pairs were still looking pretty good so I never saw the need. However, in the weather we've been having here in the UK recently, they've taken a bit of a beating. Both pairs had some stains on them, both had darkened in colour (although not across the entire boot and not equally, which may not have been as bad) so I decided to try and follow a couple of online guides and give them a bit of a sprucing up yesterday.

Most of the guides I read said pretty much the same thing, so I diluted a leather cleaner with cold water and after sponging the boots down, applied that solution to both pairs and then rinsed them off with cold water again. I stuffed them and left them to dry naturally for 24 hours, and today I can see there's been a slight improvement, but they're still not completely the same colour and additionally I've noticed that the softness of the exterior has pretty much gone completely. The boots now feel quite tough. I've brushed them down a few times but it hasn't made much difference.

Is there any way for me to restore the nice soft feel of the exterior of my boots? I have searched online, but all I can seem to find is the tips about cleaning them. If anyone has any recommendations about restoring the original colour and getting rid of darker spots etc I'd appreciate that too. I can post pictures if necessary.

TIA for any advice!

About the spots, it depends on what stained them, how soon you treated them and how long it's been.

About cleaning, I dilute the cleaner drastically, as it's very concentrated. Too much can alter your boots.

My advice is to go over them with a rough wash rag, the brush in the kit tends to be a little harsh. Rub the boots, in the same direction, all over and see if that restores the feel, it should go back to normal, mine do.

Mine are no longer soft on the outside although I've had them professionally cleaned. I don't care though because the insides are why I wear them in the first place. And the outsides look clean just not soft to the touch so it doesn't bother me..

Water usually "hardens" leather, that's why I try to use as little (plain) water on leather as possible.

You could try cleaning your uggs with vinegar and water (here's a little tutorial, you can find more by googling http://www.ehow.com/how_6927315_clean-suede-vinegar.html). Not sure whether it'll actually soften the leather, but it'll remove stains and my co-workers at the shoe store have told me it works wonders for suede that has had to endure bad weather.

Next time, use protective spray on your suede shoes whenever you want to step out and it's raining outside (that's what I've taught myself after a few suede disasters - Dutch girl here, I can relate to your climate)...

Thank you guys for the suggestions, much appreciated.

ByeKitty, I'll try the vinegar idea - I hadn't thought of that! Hopefully it will remove the stains on my chocolate boots. The other ones have turned out not too badly now that they've fully dried out. Thanks!