Will my SA know I returned?

It really shouldn't matter if the SA finds out or not...it's ultimately up to you whether you want to keep the purse or not and since they don't work on commission, it should matter even less. If you do happen to bump into the SA, just tell her the truth that when you got home and tried it around the house, you realized it just wasn't for you.

you should return at the store you brought if possible

if they make you feel uncomfortable with returning then you shouldn't feel comfortable buying from them, seeing how they make you feel, it's not good

also

sa do not make you purchase it and they shouldn't make you feel like you have to purchase if you don't want

I still stand by the quote no one can make you feel inferior without your permission..and I think it applies here too~~replacing inferior with that feeling that comes with the line..kinda talked you into

g'luck b

Last edited:
Well, they will know that something of that dollar value was returned against their associate number. While I don't know that Coach does this, almost ALL retail stores - even those who do not work on commission, which is actually most of them - track sales by employee number. They want to know who their high-sellers are. So your SA will see the hit against her sales associate number but will not necessarily know who returned what.

But like everyone else said, that should in no way affect your decision to return or not. If you aren't entirely pleased with the purchase, take it back!

Hi,
I have returned several FP purchases to my outlet. The SAs at my outlet are very nice. They have even told me to buy and take it home, If I donl't like it, I can return it. I know Coach SAs don't get commission but get an incentive (like a free bag if they have helped sell so much.) I worked at Kohls in customer service. Returns just go against sales for the store not the Sales Associate. The only thing the store kept track of by our ID number was how many credit apps we got and if we were over or under as far as the cash drawer. I wouldn't worry about returning your bag at the outlet. I hope you can find the bag you really love!!!
Good Luck!!!

Lynne :biggrin:

I think they do know - All of our purchases and returns are tied to our customer number. I shop at 3 different boutiques... and accidentally found out EVERYTHING shows up when I make a purchase/return. I mentioned on a "how many Sophias do you have" thread that I had... well.... a lot... nine. When I recently made a purchase at a smaller boutique, the SA said "WOW, you really like the Sophias!".... of course I asked how she knew I had so many - and she showed me my record. Ugh. I really hate that Coach does that... I have great SA's at all of the stores - I just tend to buy at whatever area I'm shopping. (suburbs vs city usually). It makes me feel funny about going back to stores where I've done returns. Granted, I agree with Ms. Whitney about "no one can make you feel inferior without your permission"... yet I still feel SA's are "off" when they know what you buy or return from other stores. That said, all assure me they're not on commission - the stores work as a team - and get bonuses based on sales. It seems they have some type of individual quota too - to show they're doing their part.

Well, they will know that something of that dollar value was returned against their associate number. While I don't know that Coach does this, almost ALL retail stores - even those who do not work on commission, which is actually most of them - track sales by employee number. They want to know who their high-sellers are. So your SA will see the hit against her sales associate number but will not necessarily know who returned what.

But like everyone else said, that should in no way affect your decision to return or not. If you aren't entirely pleased with the purchase, take it back!

This is true, most places do keep track of sales even when the employee doesn't make commission. Coach is actually unique from any other company I know of in that they DO NOT COUNT RETURNS AGAINST EMPLOYEES. I have thought about this a lot because there are pros and cons. From an employee standpoint, it can be a great thing because there are a lot of returns that really can't be prevented (someone loses their job and needs the money back; wives or children get "in trouble" with husbands/ parents for spending too much, etc.). So this policy can take the pressure off. From a business standpoint, it can be a smart thing to do because the employees will be less likely to fight the return and make the customer uncomfortable. Most other retailers I've worked for train you to fight returns, but Coach doesn't. My store is very good about taking returns without a guilt trip, which is how it SHOULD be. Managers can sometimes be the exception since they are responsible for the entire store's numbers (net, including returns). Of course, the bad part is that it doesn't hold associates with extremely high return rates accountable. There is a seller at a neighboring store in my area who is part of Coach's "Million Dollar Sellers" program. However, MY store gets more returns from that seller than all of our own employees combined. Obviously she is a pressure seller, which is not good for business in the big picture.

So, in short, even if your associate knows that you are returning it, she probably won't care much because it doesn't count against her. If you do an exchange with her, it will make her ecstatic because she will get credit for the second sale (the exchange item) in addition to the first sale. So if you care about her (your message seems to imply that you don't want to hurt her feelings or whatever), you could make lemonade for her out of this situation. :biggrin:

return it, who cares what she thinks,

commissioned or not, it doesnt matter ( hhm a coach employee who doesnt get commission, very interesting,,,,,i didnt know that)

return it! unless the SA wants to buy it for you, LOL

no they don't :smile: just wanted to clear that up

unless it's changed this past few months..

I would just take it back to the most convenient location and if she doesn't like it too bad for her. You decided it's not for you so that's all that matters. Don't let them make you feel bad for it you have no reason to!