Will my actions as a buyer affect me as a seller?

lshcat

O.G.
Mar 31, 2010
Question. There was a music books auction on eBay, described 2 titles it seemed but only pictured one book. I'm not really music book savvy (these were in a list of titles my child's music teacher asked me to get) I asked the seller twice if it was 2 books included. No reply. 2 days later auction almost over so I bid anyway with a 3rd question to please confirm it was both the 2 titles/2 books before I paid, but that I bid anyway as time was running out. I won. Never a reply, ever. So a week later I wrote a last time asking to cancel the sale as I see the seller is apparently not available to communicate whatsoever with buyers. I let it go. So NOW 3 weeks later he filed a non-payment claim on me. 2 more messages from me, asking about this, if he got all my messages etc... and nothing from him still. And now I can't even leave feedback. (I'm about to pay the stupid $6 just to be able to leave feedback, lol!!)

My question is, I don't have any other strikes against me so if I just take this non-payment strike will it affect my SELLER status? I am more worried about my selling reputation now that I'll have a strike as a buyer. I just don't feel comfortable following through with someone so "unavailable". 2ndly, is there ANY way to still leave feedback somehow even though I'm most likely not completing, to warn buyers that this seller is completely non-responsive? I realize I shouldn't have bid without all the facts first, I just didn't know if I'd find the books elsewhere so I jumped the gun. I never dreamed I would NEVER hear back from the seller.

I did find the books elsewhere later on. (Turns out it is ONE combined book of the 2 titles so his photo was accurate, but he never did explain that to me so I feel kind of "blechhh" about this whole thing. What should I do, if anything? I don't want to be a bad buyer here but he is also a bad seller, in my opinion... communication is everything!? Just take the hit and move on? Thanks for the help!

Question. There was a music books auction on eBay, described 2 titles it seemed but only pictured one book. I'm not really music book savvy (these were in a list of titles my child's music teacher asked me to get) I asked the seller twice if it was 2 books included. No reply. 2 days later auction almost over so I bid anyway with a 3rd question to please confirm it was both the 2 titles/2 books before I paid, but that I bid anyway as time was running out. I won. Never a reply, ever. So a week later I wrote a last time asking to cancel the sale as I see the seller is apparently not available to communicate whatsoever with buyers. I let it go. So NOW 3 weeks later he filed a non-payment claim on me. 2 more messages from me, asking about this, if he got all my messages etc... and nothing from him still. And now I can't even leave feedback. (I'm about to pay the stupid $6 just to be able to leave feedback, lol!!)

My question is, I don't have any other strikes against me so if I just take this non-payment strike will it affect my SELLER status? I am more worried about my selling reputation now that I'll have a strike as a buyer. I just don't feel comfortable following through with someone so "unavailable". 2ndly, is there ANY way to still leave feedback somehow even though I'm most likely not completing, to warn buyers that this seller is completely non-responsive? I realize I shouldn't have bid without all the facts first, I just didn't know if I'd find the books elsewhere so I jumped the gun. I never dreamed I would NEVER hear back from the seller.

I did find the books elsewhere later on. (Turns out it is ONE combined book of the 2 titles so his photo was accurate, but he never did explain that to me so I feel kind of "blechhh" about this whole thing. What should I do, if anything? I don't want to be a bad buyer here but he is also a bad seller, in my opinion... communication is everything!? Just take the hit and move on? Thanks for the help!

I got into a situation recently that is somewhat similair but eBay suggested that I just pay for the item first so that I have fulfilled my part of the transaction. I can file a dispute with eBay if the item is not as described and get my money back.

Alright.. but I already HAVE the books due to never hearing back from that particular seller... so I don't need them. Does anyone know if a strike affects seller rating? That was my question... thanks!

if you get one more though it will allow sellers to block you from bidding on their auctions at all...

I know that, I block people with 2 or more in the last 12 months myself... but 1 strike in 13 years, and it's primarily a seller's account anyway... it doesn't concern me. I just didn't know and was only asking if it would affect the overall rating, as a seller, affect my top seller status etc....

And I still want to leave feedback~! But I guess I won't be able to. Oh well.

As long as you respond to the UID, you can still leave feedback. If you don't respond, you can't leave feedback and/or any feedback you leave will be removed.

So what I suggest is responding to the dispute that you emailed the seller x-number of times before the listing ended as well as x-times after it ended and the seller never responded. You didn't want to pay for an item without clarification of what you'd be getting. You no longer want the item because you have since purchased from a more responsive seller.

Chances are that the seller will close the dispute and give you a strike, but you'll be able to leave feedback.

I know that, I block people with 2 or more in the last 12 months myself... but 1 strike in 13 years, and it's primarily a seller's account anyway... it doesn't concern me. I just didn't know and was only asking if it would affect the overall rating, as a seller, affect my top seller status etc....

And I still want to leave feedback~! But I guess I won't be able to. Oh well.

Yeh do what BB said. At least then you can leave feedback and let other buyers know that this seller never answers email and are too busy to bother with customer satisfaction. Last time I checked selling things was still customer service no matter what the price tag. The seller failed big time in that department.

As long as you respond to the UID, you can still leave feedback. If you don't respond, you can't leave feedback and/or any feedback you leave will be removed.

So what I suggest is responding to the dispute that you emailed the seller x-number of times before the listing ended as well as x-times after it ended and the seller never responded. You didn't want to pay for an item without clarification of what you'd be getting. You no longer want the item because you have since purchased from a more responsive seller.

Chances are that the seller will close the dispute and give you a strike, but you'll be able to leave feedback.

Thanks for the reply! I looked and tried to find a way to respond to the claim - but it looked to me as if the only option to select is the "pay now" button. Or the 'contact seller' option. Which of course I've done several time, lol. Am I missing something?

Thanks for the reply! I looked and tried to find a way to respond to the claim - but it looked to me as if the only option to select is the "pay now" button. Or the 'contact seller' option. Which of course I've done several time, lol. Am I missing something?
I don't know what the screen looks like but if those are the only 2 options, I'd click the contact seller and make the comment. AFAIK, it's still responding.

I had a unresponsive seller once, and like you, I was buying books for my daughter's class, so there was a time constraint. I paid right away, but after several days, I contacted the seller to see if they were going to ship. No response. There was a place to get her phone number; I don't remember where. I called her but the number was disconnected. I told Ebay and they told me to be patient, but that I could cancel the transaction. I didn't have to file a dispute in order to do that. I think I did it through Paypal.

Thanks for your help everyone... today I finally got a response from the seller, with apology for never getting the e-mails, and he agreed to mutually cancel the transaction! All is good.... thanks again.