Will LV repair this damage?

SarahM32

Jan 30, 2019
Hi All,

New to the forum, never posted before. Bummed because I noticed splits in the canvas on all 4 (!!!) of the corners of my Speedy. What do you all think? Is this fixable? Appreciate the help!

d990ff34a483f49209357d2fa048da45.jpg

I believe this is not repairable since it is the canvas that was damaged but I might be wrong.
How old is your speedy? It might be better to ask your local store about it.

The brown piping seems to show a lot of wear. I have a Speedy my friend gave me that is over 30 years old and the piping still looks good. How have you used this bag? It does seem strange to have such major wear in all four corners. Does all the brown leather piping in each corner show wear like the picture posted? That looks like scrapes against something rough. I would take it in to LV and see what they say. Could the canvas have been stretched from carrying things too heavy and this made the canvas scrape from wear versus the piping on the bag.

Reactions: Melfontana
I haven’t used it any more roughly or out of typical daily use than any of my other LV bags (that I have not noticed this issue with). It is in regular rotation but not used for anything other than wallet, book, travel makeup bag, etc.. perhaps a trip to the store is my best bet. Thanks for your help.

I am curious why will they replace the leather but not the canvas?
The leather on a canvas piece is only trim that is layered on top of the canvas in the corners or the handles. Cracked or damaged canvas cannot be repaired, and because the entire structure of the bag is one piece of canvas, they would have to essentially build a new bag from scratch.

Reactions: Melfontana
Hi All,

New to the forum, never posted before. Bummed because I noticed splits in the canvas on all 4 (!!!) of the corners of my Speedy. What do you all think? Is this fixable? Appreciate the help!

d990ff34a483f49209357d2fa048da45.jpg
The only way this kind of wear develops new a genuine LV piece is with repeated and heavy scratching / rubbing of the corners. Although canvas is not repairable, you can always take it to your local store and ask them for advice? Maybe they’ll replace the bag? They’ve been handing out free bags galore lately!

I can't believe this is a three year old bag. I've seen some that are 30+years old and not even close to this damage. OP I believe you when you say this bag wasn't mistreated. I think it just goes to show how the canvas has gotten over time. I don't imagine LV is going to do anything for you but take it in and see. I'm genuinely sorry this happened to your bag.

Wow that’s crazy! I’ve never seen anything like that on any LV canvas bags; even real old ones. Maybe your bag was defective. As a matter of fact, it appears that even some red is showing on one of the dark brown squares. I guess it can’t hurt to bring it in and see what they have to say. Good luck.

Reactions: SarahM32
I sew a lot - including bags - and I still don’t understand their reasoning, because to replace the leather you still have to take the bag completely apart. You can’t just sew the leather on top. You have to rip out the seams, start with 2 flat pieces of canvas, put the leather between them, sew it wrong side out, then turn it outside in. So you are still rebuilding the entire bag.

The leather on a canvas piece is only trim that is layered on top of the canvas in the corners or the handles. Cracked or damaged canvas cannot be repaired, and because the entire structure of the bag is one piece of canvas, they would have to essentially build a new bag from scratch.

I sew a lot - including bags - and I still don’t understand their reasoning, because to replace the leather you still have to take the bag completely apart. You can’t just sew the leather on top. You have to rip out the seams, start with 2 flat pieces of canvas, put the leather between them, sew it wrong side out, then turn it outside in. So you are still rebuilding the entire bag.
They don’t repair canvas. Debate it with LV, not me!