Will Gucci bags stand the test of time?

diva lee

O.G.
Mar 29, 2006
First of all, please pardon my ignorance but I've never owned a Gucci bag....

I've been obsessed with Louis Vuitton for years but I think it's time to branch out and try something new now that I'm almost satisfied with my LV collection. I recently fell in love with a Gucci bag that costs around $1400. That's way more than I have ever spent before on a handbag so I want to be sure that I'm getting my money's worth (i.e. a quality handbag). So my question is: how durable are Gucci bags? Have any of you Gucci owners had any problems with quality? Do you think that they are timeless, classic bags or super trendy? How does their customer service rank? For any of you ladies out there that own both Gucci and Louis Vuitton bags, which brand seems to be of higher quality?

Any responses will be appreciated. Thanks in advance!

I have a few Gucci bags, and honestly, normal wear and tear does nothing to these bags! They are so sturdy, and most of mine are fabric. LOVE EM. oh except never ever try to clean the leather part of any bag with that tide stick.....It ruined a small part of the lining..=(

Really depends on the bag. There are some pretty classic looking ones but some will date really fast. The one Gucci that I've used a lot has held up remarkably well, and it hasn't dated. I think quality is probably not as much of an issue as style. A lot of the bags this year, for instance, I don't think will carry over very well into next year.

I have a Gucci drawstring bag which is more than 20 years old, it's all canvas with leather handles and I've worn it to death.. It's still in fairly good condition, considering how it's been treated and has not gone out of style (it's the same shape as the LV Noé). I only have one LV now, but have to say the service and assurance of cleaning and repair should anything go wrong is exellent at LV. They seem to know so much more about their bags there than in Gucci (or maybe that is just my experience..) Anyway, just got a wallet in the black guccissima leather, which really makes me long for a matching bag, the leather is beautiful:yahoo:Let us know what you choose and good luck!!

Thanks for your responses! I am interested in purchasing the fabric Gucci Pelham shoulder bag with braided straps. The bag is listed on Gucci's website under the "classics" category but I'm wondering just how classic it is. Do you think that it will be a worthwhile purchase? Will this bag go out of style soon?

I recently spoke with an SA at Gucci and she said that because the pelham is one of their most popular bags, it probably won't go on sale....I guess I'll have to wait and see.