Will Bal REALLY discontinue GH or will they monitor sales of the mGH before deciding?

xbabe82517

O.G.
Jul 19, 2010
I totally cannot see the mGH catching on like the GH did! It just doesn't look as good, IMO, and there doesn't seem to be much love on here for the mGH so far.

Will Bal really still go ahead and discontinue GH, even if mGH doesn't take off? Their website is still full of GH - which I'm aware is from the last season anyway - but the colours available in mGH aren't very extensive at the mo, it seems to me like they're introducing it slowly to see how it sells...

I may be clutching at straws here but I so don't want them to discontinue GH! I don't have the finances to snap up loads of bags last-minute, I can only stretch to one in December and it makes me very sad that it will probably be my last Bal because I don't like to buy second-hand and I really don't like RH or mGH!

On the flip side, mGH may catch on with customers who are looking for something new and different. This forum represents a small percentage of Balenciaga lovers who tend to be fiercly loyal to attributes like chevre leather and GH. The larger percentage of Balenciaga fans may appreciate a different size hardware and once these new bags are spotted on celebrities, may invoke a cult status following.

I am now looking at my GH bags in a totally different light. I fear they may be outdated soon and am not interested in trying to collect more/stock up. They no longer feel as special to me and I'm happier using my RH Velo and Weekenders.

There is speculation that Balenciaga will reintroduce GH as limited edition bags at higher prices. If this comes to fruition it will make me feel better about the GH bags I have kept, 1) because I bought them at a lower price point, and 2) because GH will still be in production and not look dated.

In the meantime, if there is a color I really need to have then I will buy it in RH.

IMO, GH will never be outdated. It will be a classic. I will stick to my GH bags no matter what because I much prefer this combo look over RH. It was the only reason I got into Bal in the first place even more obsessively than I thought I could/would be.
GH will indeed be discontinued due to rising costs in the face of a continued global recession but yes, I do have a feeling that it will come out once in awhile in the form of LE and definitely at higher prices as compared to MGH.

I don't like the look of the mGH in any of the bag styles. Don't even like it
on the Envelope...Town is the exception... To me I think it looks cheap & no where as classy & chic as the GH.
Like pbdb, I myself only fell for Balenciaga because
of the GH first then the RH second with all it's glorious tassels.
I disagree that the majority of ladies are for the mGH. Many like it & just
as many don't. Not all ladies are as vocal as some of us are, about it..

GH will never be outdated. It's classic & stylish. More so than any bag with mGH, that to me looks no different than RH without the tassels. I prefer the RH look anyday with the tassels that gives it that edgy cool look.
Will mGH kick off? Only time will tell.. I personally don't think it will have the
spunk or class of the GH. I keep my GH not because perhaps they may be sought after. I keep them because I truly love this HW & for me GH rocks like
no other. It makes more sense to perhaps introduce a new mHW, but not at the expense of GH. :P

Who said the majority of ladies are for the mGH?

I think you put words onto my screen (versus into my mouth).

When I wrote my post I was not referring to ONLY members of this forum. We are not the only Balenciaga worshippers and probably represent only a small percentage of their worldwide customer base. This new mGH may be embraced by their larger volume of customers who do not participate here on the forum. It may not. But only time will tell, as you noted.

There are a wide range of opinions out here. I like the mGH. I have a GH bag so I'm not totally bigoted against it; but I can understand people who say GH is just too much bling and too in your face and too out of proportion on smaller bags. It doesn't suit everyone. Maybe it's for flashier times than right now.

On the other hand, RH on duller colors can look too understated, and not everyone loves the tassels on everything. Let the market decide.

Bottom line: buy what you love when you can afford to and not be swayed by anybody's opinion or taste.
If you can decide to spend that much on a bag, then you should also decide on what you want vis-a-vis your taste and lifestyle.
Look at the pics here and at the bags IRL, read up on the Bal reference thread, and then decide.

Interesting POV. I don't think something will look dated just because it's no longer in production. I love flat brass and pewter hardware, neither have been in production for a long time and yet I don't think this means the bags look dated.

GH may look of a certain time but IMO good design rarely dates (in a bad way, if that makes sense). I say stick with what you like. But of course our tastes change and it's not uncommon to move from one hardware preference to another ...

... I am now looking at my GH bags in a totally different light. I fear they may be outdated soon and am not interested in trying to collect more/stock up. They no longer feel as special to me and I'm happier using my RH Velo and Weekenders.

There is speculation that Balenciaga will reintroduce GH as limited edition bags at higher prices. If this comes to fruition it will make me feel better about the GH bags I have kept, 1) because I bought them at a lower price point, and 2) because GH will still be in production and not look dated.

Who said the majority of ladies are for the mGH?

I think you put words onto my screen (versus into my mouth).

When I wrote my post I was not referring to ONLY members of this forum. We are not the only Balenciaga worshippers and probably represent only a small percentage of their worldwide customer base. This new mGH may be embraced by their larger volume of customers who do not participate here on the forum. It may not. But only time will tell, as you noted.

You draw to much attention to yourself. I will say what I want & how I want..... If you feel I offended you in anyway, that's too bad & tough... You take it any way you like.....You have your opinion & I have mine..

Interesting POV. I don't think something will look dated just because it's no longer in production. I love flat brass and pewter hardware, neither have been in production for a long time and yet I don't think this means the bags look dated.

GH may look of a certain time but IMO good design rarely dates (in a bad way, if that makes sense). I say stick with what you like. But of course our tastes change and it's not uncommon to move from one hardware preference to another ...

Very well said drati, good design rarely dates, this is so so true..

:biggrin: i suspect the folks here would eventually warm up to the mGH just like they did to RGGH. a few reveals with killer pictures and people will be enabled once again.

i personally like the mGH. i think it is more proportional to the bag (specially the City) but still big enough to pop. in any case, it is a subtle change in size - like a great facelift, unless you already know, you can't quite tell what they did but it somehow looks better.

Honestly? I don't care one way or the other. I'm a regular HW person. Although I have seen some stunning GH combos here on tPF, I wouldn't buy them or wear them myself.

I do think they will most likely bring GH back on special editions or maybe if the mGH doesn't trend too well they'll bring it back to replace it. But for now, it's gone. Somehow with what I am hearing here though I don't think it's gone for good.

You draw to much attention to yourself. I will say what I want & how I want..... If you feel I offended you in anyway, that's too bad & tough... You take it any way you like.....You have your opinion & I have mine..

I rarely get offended t, especially by people I don't know personally. I'm pretty resilliant.

Have a wonderful day.

I always like to think that Bal knows what they are doing. I wasn't always a GH lover and was actually a RH girl at heart. I just recently started branching off into GH and while I do love it, I think mGH can also work. I just wish it was more proportional on the PT and Work bags. When RGGH replaced GGH, I was ecstatic because I thought it was more casual and subdued. It took a long time for people to warm up to RGGH and now anytime it is for sale it is snapped up.

This has been a really interesting debate so far, thank you all for your input! I'm just glad I'm not alone in feeling like this!

I know a lot of folk here have been collecting GH before it's discontinued but my finances won't allow that...well, I suppose they could but whilst I adore my handbags, I won't sacrifice other nice things for them...I have a terrible obsession with designer make-up and Tiffany jewellery! Plus, I really don't want to buy a load of bags at that price just for the sake of it anyway.

My once-a-year bag splash (occasionally twice, but never two Bal's in a year!) has always been something to look forward to, and feels more special to me because I don't buy bags all the time. The only reason I got into Bal was the GH - I saw the RH bags and they looked so plain and normal to me that I couldn't imagine in a million years why anyone would pay those prices...and then along came GH and I was sold!

I personally don't feel the GH will become 'dated', it will become classic, if indeed it really is discontinued. In the same way that the Mulberry Roxanne is now an iconic bag, even though they stopped making it years ago.

I just feel very sad that I probably won't buy another Bal if there is no GH around next year. I appreciate that some will warm to the mGH, especially if the celebs catch on to it as well, but I am very much the kinda person who buys things that suit me, not because they're fashionable, but just because they look good on me. And right now, I really can't imagine I will ever warm up to the mGH... :cry: