Wikipedia's It Bag List- What should be in/out?

missmari

Jan 17, 2010
I was randomly on wikipedia (as one usually is hehe), and then I came across an entry called "It Bag". Basically, it was a page that defined what the term means and went on to give a list of past/present "It Bag"s.

According to wiki:
The term was coined in the 1990s with the explosive growth of the handbag market in fashion. Designers vied to produce one bag that would sell hundreds of thousands of units by becoming the bag "of the moment" -- a single handbag style that would spread like wildfire in popularity through the intertwined worlds of fashion and celebrity, aided by clever or just plain lucky marketing. Another way to define them is to say what other bags are not: "They are most definitely not it bags in the sense that they become isn't bags the next season." (Poppy Harlow)

I thought it be fun to post their interpertations of "It Bags" and let everyone talk about what is should and shouldn't be on the list! Just to clarify (or my explanations), this isn't my list of "it bags", its copied and pasted directly from wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/It_Bag):

Hermès Birkin, named after actress Jane Birkin
Hermès Kelly, named after actress and later Princess of Monaco Grace Kelly
Balenciaga Motorcycle
Blumarine B Bag
Bottega Veneta Knot
Botkier Bianca Satchel
Botkier Trigger
Bulga Butterfly
Caprice Bianca Large Weekender
Chanel 2.55
Chloé Edith
Chloé Paddington
Fendi B
Fendi Spy
Givenchy Nightingale
D&G Lily
Dior Samurai
Dior Lady Dior
Kooba Sienna
Louis Vuitton Speedy
Marc Jacobs Stam, named after model Jessica Stam
Marcela Calvet Fay Dorys in alligator
Prada Fairy Bag
Rebecca Minkoff Morning After Bag
YSL Muse
YSL Downtown
Treesje Asher Grande
Longchamp Le Pliage

Fascinating! I've had a goal of purchasing "the" iconic bag from each major designer, and this list would certainly be a starting place. Missing the YSL Mombasa, though, IMO!

well if you go by wikipedias definition, i do not agree with a lot of these bags. to me, the speedy, chanel 2.55, hermes kelly & birkin, and a lot of others on that list arent bags "of the moment" theyre timeless.

well if you go by wikipedias definition, i do not agree with a lot of these bags. to me, the speedy, chanel 2.55, hermes kelly & birkin, and a lot of others on that list arent bags "of the moment" theyre timeless.

I agree! but I definitely think they forgot the Dior Gaucho and the Jimmy Choo Ramona (not sure if that's exactly the name)

While I would agree that some of these bags aren't "it" bags in the sense that they are truly timeless, I really do like the fact that not all of them are "premier" designer bags! I can think of several bags, both mid and higher-range, that also belong on this list:

Botkier Sasha
Rebecca Minkoff Nikki
YSL Tribute
Louis Vuitton Neverfull
Chloe Betty
Chloe Paraty
Marc by Marc Jacobs Faridah
Mulberry Bayswater
Mulberry Roxanne
Alexander Wang Rocco Mini Duffle
Mulberry Alexa

Etc....

I don't know, I think their popularity ebbs and flows over the years - maybe they're recurring it bags?! :biggrin:

I don't really understand this sentence, BTW:

'Another way to define them is to say what other bags are not: "They are most definitely not it bags in the sense that they become isn't bags the next season." (Poppy Harlow)'

'what other bags are not'.....what? Not it bags? :shrugs:

'Another way to define them is to say what other bags are not [it bags?]: "They are most definitely not it bags in the sense that they become isn't bags the next season." (Poppy Harlow)'?

I thought that quote meant that it bags are no longer it bags the next season, as they become isn't bags? Not that that makes much grammatical sense, either, as the opposite of 'it' is not 'isn't', but at least I get the concept.

I think this article needs a little help, TBH! :biggrin:

I don't know, I think their popularity ebbs and flows over the years - maybe they're recurring it bags?! :biggrin:

I don't really understand this sentence, BTW:

'Another way to define them is to say what other bags are not: "They are most definitely not it bags in the sense that they become isn't bags the next season." (Poppy Harlow)'

'what other bags are not'.....what? Not it bags? :shrugs:

'Another way to define them is to say what other bags are not [it bags?]: "They are most definitely not it bags in the sense that they become isn't bags the next season." (Poppy Harlow)'?

I thought that quote meant that it bags are no longer it bags the next season, as they become isn't bags? Not that that makes much grammatical sense, either, as the opposite of 'it' is not 'isn't', but at least I get the concept.

I think this article needs a little help, TBH! :biggrin:

I agree that the article needs help lol... just thought it be interesting if people compiled an "it bags" list.